2.5-minute Pinpointing & Judging Depth Tutorial for Beginners

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another way I teach people to pin point on a machine with no pin point feature, is, once you get a good signal, try to swing the coil completely around the target without setting it off. That can also give you an idea of the targets' size. Once you know that, then raising the coil will give you a better idea on depth. Large targets down deep will read the same as a small target close to the surface for those newbies out there who don't have enough experience to tell the difference.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is that REALLY Terry S.... the famous 90 degree guy? I don't see a pic of his face. Maybe "Fake News"! Just pulling your leg and bumping it back to the top, buddy! ╦╦Ç

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course a Tesoro pinpoints right on. Try that with an at pro or Fisher and it will chatter all over your coil ! I like Tesoro plain and simple.

Bayard

Oct 8, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1 probe, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pinpointing technique assumes a concentric coil.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try that with an at pro or Fisher and it will chatter all over your coil

They have PP buttons and depth meters. Not sure why they would need to use this method. :dontknow:

Good video all the same for machines without said features.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pinpointing aside, depth and size i.d. of a target is "built in" to most detectors as a function of its basic circuitry, which assumes a coin-sized target. To go past the basics, you pay for the extra circuitry. A function worth paying for. ╦╦Ç

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They have PP buttons and depth meters. Not sure why they would need to use this method. :dontknow:

Good video all the same for machines without said features.
All good videos, and this one certainly is, are all part of the big picture. Whether it confirms or contradicts your idea of what a detector is supposed to do, it is good if it clarifies a point that is difficult to understand. If all of us had the exact same idea of what a machine is supposed to do, there would only be one detector for sale! I like Country, some like Hip Hop, and others might like Classical. If it trips your trigger, it's the one for you. ╦╦Ç

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread