Why Does Garrett Dominate YouTube Videos?

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd bet that at least 80% of YouTube videos use Garrett detectors, primarily AT Pro, and now, AT Max, and I'm wondering why this is. Any thoughts? Do they give better margins to dealerships, causing the dealerships to push them? Do they do a better job of advertising? Do they sponsor more YouTube channel producers and maybe give them free detectors? Is it because they are waterproof? Does Garrett really own that large a share of the metal detecting market?

Thoughts?

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1504991

It’s the metal detctorist and not the metal detector ALWAYS. I have seen A person with a Radio Shack detector pull silver from a well researched site while a Minelab owner was whining that the local park was hunted out.

:thumbsup:

UGH, where is my giant eye-roll pic for this.... NO ITS NOT! Yes, knowing your machine gives you the best chance with it but when 2 hunters who have both mastered their detector hunt together, then it comes down to the raw ability of the machine. I have seen plenty of times where one detector can see a target and the other sees nothing. Knowing your detector is great but you have to have the best detector for your location and target type.

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
I believe garret sponsors Alot of the Big Channels using the At pro/Max .They are good machine and affordable.The waterproof factor helps also.People see someone like aquachigger finding a hoard of silver coins in a small creek and dreams of that being me deff went thru my head..LOL..If they didnt work or stand up to the punishment they wouldnt be popular..They are Good sound affordable machines..My son likes his alot..

Greybear

Dec 22, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basically they are a very good machine at a lower price than comparable machines from a company with a long track record of putting out top quality detectors. Results from the field speak for themselves. I have the AT Gold and it's the best detector I have used in 46 years of detecting until I bought the CTX 3030. I want to say the CTXis better because of the cost but I'm still learning it and getting used to it. The CTX is not as hard to use as people say but I need more time swinging with it to see just how well it compares to the ATGold. I recently moved from Colorado back to a Florida and wanted a detector that would be good on the beach and I have always heard good things about the CTX which is why I chose it after looking into other choices. I have used other brand detectors that for one reason or another I just don't like but others love them. I don't know what they like about them but for me they were not doing the job and were not as intuitive as the AT series.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Greybear

Dec 22, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UGH, where is my giant eye-roll pic for this.... NO ITS NOT! Yes, knowing your machine gives you the best chance with it but when 2 hunters who have both mastered their detector hunt together, then it comes down to the raw ability of the machine. I have seen plenty of times where one detector can see a target and the other sees nothing. Knowing your detector is great but you have to have the best detector for your location and target type.

Exactly! There is no one best machine. Site conditions will dictate which machine is the right one to use that day just like changing profiles in a machine will dictate how well you do with that one machine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1504991

It’s the metal detctorist and not the metal detector ALWAYS. I have seen A person with a Radio Shack detector pull silver from a well researched site while a Minelab owner was whining that the local park was hunted out.

And that Minicab has a learning curve from double hockey sticks. I can still to this day drop a gold chain on the ground and waive the minicab over it and it will not beep no matter how I pass over it. It truly boggles me. A chain is invisible but a ring a fraction of its size goes off? Riddle me this one Batman

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And that Minicab has a learning curve from double hockey sticks. I can still to this day drop a gold chain on the ground and waive the minicab over it and it will not beep no matter how I pass over it. It truly boggles me. A chain is invisible but a ring a fraction of its size goes off? Riddle me this one Batman

Detectors see the chain as individual little tiny loops. These loops of gold (links) do not have the mass to generate a good return signal to the detector. Wad the chain up in a ball and the detector would have a better chance of seeing it.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree with a great machine giving you an edge over inferior machines in exact same situations...however that being said I still believe that an inferior machine in the hands of a great detectorist outperforms a great machine in the hands of a novice.

My point was that there are many different components to MD . Research is a HUGE one ! THAT WAS THE POINT ...Not a pissing match over who’s frequency is bigger. Go back and read what I wrote.
You can have the greatest of machines but if you swing over Ground that was recently Delivered from the local rock quarry chances are you are going to get skunked. ...However if you have a cheap detector and get permission to detect a farm with a Victorian House that has never been detected then your odds change. So YES its the detctorist and ALL of his/her additional tools and never just the detector. :metaldetector:

And here you go , you enjoy my emoji, I always have my tools handy... LOL

8F14FE67-C523-45C7-9402-EF982269A378.png

Last edited:

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 1504991

Great analogy, pretty much sums it up!:icon_thumright:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great analogy, pretty much sums it up!:icon_thumright:

Nope, the correct interpretation of that analogy is that site trumps the person swinging the detector, even though that is still wrong.

1 - you have to be on a site where "good" finds exist. You cant find what isnt there.
2 - you have to have a detector capable of finding the targets in the soil matrix of the location at the depth the targets are located.
3 - you get the MOST finds when you truly understand your detector. Even a blind pig can find a acorn, but the doesn't make it the best method.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread