Why Does Garrett Dominate YouTube Videos?

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd bet that at least 80% of YouTube videos use Garrett detectors, primarily AT Pro, and now, AT Max, and I'm wondering why this is. Any thoughts? Do they give better margins to dealerships, causing the dealerships to push them? Do they do a better job of advertising? Do they sponsor more YouTube channel producers and maybe give them free detectors? Is it because they are waterproof? Does Garrett really own that large a share of the metal detecting market?

Thoughts?

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess they are just popular machines? I personally tried a couple videos but for me it's almost impossible to detect and film at the same time, so I chose detecting.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess they are just popular machines? I personally tried a couple videos but for me it's almost impossible to detect and film at the same time, so I chose detecting.
I'm sure they are popular machines, particularly with (by my estimate) 80% YouTube saturation. I guess it becomes a chicken and egg thing from that standpoint, huh?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Straight forward. They are the top selling machines in the world, and newbies or old hands making dollars are the ones making videos. :skullflag:

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:laughing7: I know,right? I like to film to possibly supply some useful information,but given the choice...the camera stays home!

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Straight forward. They are the top selling machines in the world, and newbies or old hands making dollars are the ones making videos. :skullflag:

That's pretty much what SmokyCat said... they're popular. But are they popular because of all the YouTube videos?

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great marketing. I can tell that they sponsor quite a few YouTubers . I can just hear the Garrett PR person...” Free equipment just post videos”

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great marketing. I can tell that they sponsor quite a few YouTubers . I can just hear the Garrett PR person...” Free equipment just post videos”
And that my friends is it, in a nut shell. Marketing freebies for vids

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have to remember that they were the first "value priced" all terrain metal detector with VDI that gained huge popularity with the help of a certain National Geographic show and some really good videos from Aquachigger and many other Garrett users on YouTube. I looked at the AT Pro but the display is just way too small for these 51 year-old eyes. LOL

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marketing is a huge reason. I’m assuming that metal detecting show on discovery or history channel (I forget the name of it) did a lot of advertising for them too, since they both used Garrett machines.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is called SHILL activity, a good portion is coming from the north.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe the show "Diggers" and that it's waterproof to 10 feet along with the mid range price plays into it's popularity. If they were swinging another brand you'd see more videos of those. It's kind of like race fans normally drive the make of their favorite driver. I personally do not like the Garrett bell-tones. When I want to see detecting videos I enter a make in my search. For us who got into the hobby without ever watching Diggers or started before the show, we looked at all brands before we pulled the trigger on a machine. Many buy what their friends use since they trust the friends capabilities in selecting a good detector.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd much rather live in the moment every day and not have to edit yesterday's activities today. Heck editing videos would limit my time swinging the coil. I am not in the hobby for income. I appreciate those who do make videos, but it's not my cup of tea. Heck we are on camera way more than we know in everyday life. Maybe I am just not a social media kind of guy.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe the show "Diggers" and that it's waterproof to 10 feet along with the mid range price plays into it's popularity. If they were swinging another brand you'd see more videos of those. It's kind of like race fans normally drive the make of their favorite driver. I personally do not like the Garrett bell-tones. When I want to see detecting videos I enter a make in my search. For us who got into the hobby without ever watching Diggers or started before the show, we looked at all brands before we pulled the trigger on a machine. Many buy what their friends use since they trust the friends capabilities in selecting a good detector.
OMG! I had never watched Diggers (I cut the cable years ago), but managed to find some episodes on YouTube. I couldn;'t make it through even 15 minutes. What a bunch of CLOWNS!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OMG! I had never watched Diggers (I cut the cable years ago), but managed to find some episodes on YouTube. I couldn;'t make it through even 15 minutes. What a bunch of CLOWNS!

Same here, I cut the cord 8 years ago and never knew of Diggers when the detecting bug bit me.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd bet that at least 80% of YouTube videos use Garrett detectors, primarily AT Pro, and now, AT Max, and I'm wondering why this is. Any thoughts? Do they give better margins to dealerships, causing the dealerships to push them? Do they do a better job of advertising? Do they sponsor more YouTube channel producers and maybe give them free detectors? Is it because they are waterproof? Does Garrett really own that large a share of the metal detecting market?

Thoughts?

Probably because they are good detectors that dont break the bank to purchase. They are a cheap way to get into the hobby or for an upgrade from a cheapo starter.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably because they are good detectors that dont break the bank to purchase. They are a cheap way to get into the hobby or for an upgrade from a cheapo starter.
Are there no other good detectors that don't break the bank to purchase?

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spend $300, spend $2000; in the end it comes down to learning your machine. Doesn't matter how much you spend on the purchase of a detector but how much time you spend learning it.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DD37BB85-F7DB-44E9-B921-90C4331F4481.jpeg

It’s the metal detctorist and not the metal detector ALWAYS. I have seen A person with a Radio Shack detector pull silver from a well researched site while a Minelab owner was whining that the local park was hunted out.

:thumbsup:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there no other good detectors that don't break the bank to purchase?

Of course there are but Garrett has been a LONG time. They were one of the first companies. Most people know someone who has a Garrett machine so in their head when they start looking. Go with a name you know of or go with something youve never seen before? I'm sure their use a couple TV shows has hurt that thought process either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread