Minelab f3 detector?

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

Anybody have any advice on the minelab f3 detector? It’s a pi machine apparently. Does that mean it could hold up against the Tesoro sand shark? I can’t find many reviews on it, but the ones I read so far on the negative side was: its heavy (7lbs) and the headphone jack is not very good (not sure exactly what he meant, but he said when the detector would whisper over a target, it was tough to hear when there was waves crashing.

On the positive side, it’s apparently waterproof. Just curious, as I have an option to purchase one.

Thanks as always everyone.

Upvote 0

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure if you found an answer yet, but the Minelab F3 really isn't meant for consumer use. It was designed for military ops as a land mine detector, which is why you will not see any reviews on it. As for practicality, it is a Pulse Induction machine that will detect a lot of targets, but you will find its lack of discrimination less than practical for use in most situations.

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the response! Isn’t the sand shark a PI machine too? That’s what I currently have. Would this be 100 percent equal to the f3?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant tell you how the F3 compares against other detectors. Do you have one, or are you wanting one? These aren't something that come up for sale very often. IIRC the earpiece connection isnt standard and you need the factory one, but I can't remember for sure. I haven't gotten mine out in a long time.

99thpercentile

Nov 2, 2006
Evergreen, CO
Detector(s) used
Geonics EM61-MK2, Geophex GEM-3, GapEOD UltraTEM III, Minelabs F3, Foerster MINEX 2FD 4.500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Minelab F3 is a time domain metal detector that uses the pulse sequence patented by Bruce Candy. The idea is that the pulse sequence is not identical repeat of the same pulse sequence (ramp up time, on time, ramp down time, off time), but the pulse sequence cycles through a number of different shapes. This was designed to deal with magnetically viscous soils. By changing the pulse sequence the decay response for the soil and the decay response for a buried metallic target change which allows the user to perform a soil compensation method. The F3 is designed specifically for landline detection in magnetically viscous soils, not for the hobbyist market. It competes against instruments such as the Foerster MINEX 4.5 which is a multi-frequency, frequency-domain instrument with a double-D head. I have both for work and find the Foerster easier to use. I also have a CEIA CMD for home playing. All of these units are targeted for Demining, either active military or humanitarian demining. I have attached all of these units to a computer either through the serial data connections or by digitizing the headphone outputs.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the response! Isn’t the sand shark a PI machine too? That’s what I currently have. Would this be 100 percent equal to the f3?

Brett -

The Sand Shark is a PI machine, which also has no discrimination.... its simply a beep and dig machine as well. In some situations that is fine, but for most circumstances it is desired to have some sort of idea if its something you want to dig. With time you would learn the really fine differences in target response with a PI, but even those clues will be minimal as compared to a VLF type detector.

As to how they would compare head to head, I have not been able to handle an F3 in person so I can't help with that. I'm also afraid very few people in the hobby will be able to help you on that comparison since the F3 is designed for military service.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You all are awesome. What a wealth of knowledge you all have. I appreciate it very much. I’m trying to determine what I’d rather do: hold on to my sand shark or sell it and get in to another minelab. I know this sounds a bit ridiculous but I started with a minelab and I just want to stay in the minelab family. That’s why I thought of the F3 when I saw it pop up for sale.

With that being said, would it be a nice move to consider going from the sand shark to the minelab equinox 800?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread