Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't really know the name brand of them. But I wear a pair with the velcro straps that I bought from ACE hardware years ago and they are still holding up fine.

CJayC

Jan 14, 2017
Auburn, WA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These are what I use: Large Super Soft Knee Pads - Neoprene https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008D2WZ4Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_MJQ9zbAK60615

They have a single strap that goes around the entirety of your leg and back on itself. Because they only wrap around below your knees, it allows your knees to still have access to the open air to keep cool. I've worn these for about five hours straight on one outing, and there was not one bit of shifting, itching, pinching or rubbing at all; they fit snugly and securely without cutting into your legs and becoming uncomfortable.

The coating has held up really well, through rocks, sand, and wet grass. And except for a couple dirt stains on the fabric, you can't even tell that they've been used that much.

These are the larger style (the smaller ones are less expensive, but might not be as suitable for certain terrains), so they might take a bit of room depending on how and where you would choose to store them when not in use.

Amazon offers them in blue, but they also come in bright green, camo, and yellowish/orange color (eBay for the other colors). And for $10 more, you can get them in leather.

IMG_1954.JPG

IMG_1952.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4reale

Jul 29, 2008
Jupiter, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 20
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I spent more time on my knees that any pope ever did - installing cobblestone curbing for driveways for 18 years @ $12/lin ft. The best kneepads I ever found were sold at my local masonry supply/concrete dealer. I used leather Goldblatt's with a thick felt inner lining. Marshalltown also makes a pair that are almost identical to the Goldblatt. They fastened with a belt like leather strap around the back of the calf; you could get up and walk around with no problem of cinching or drooping at all. They lasted me 32 years and were virtually indestructable.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
019374193225.jpg I use these $10 pair from Lowes. They have 2 adjustable tightening straps. I have 2 pair, one for work and one for detecting. Hard outer shell soft interiors.

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kneelon kneepads are good quality. Padding on mine hasn't worn down at all after using them quite a bit this season. Velcro hasn't lost its stickiness, and they stay in place. I'm happy with them

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys I got these and they are great. Thanks again IMG_1539.JPG IMG_1541.JPG

Amazon $23.99

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that kneepads are a very personal thing. What works well for one doesn't for another. But the ones that I've come to love are made by Husky, and sold by Home Depot, and will set you back less than $10/pair. I hunt at least 5 times a week, generally all day (yes, I'm retired) and have yet to wear a pair out.

When I first started detecting, I tried and returned a pretty good sampling, from El Cheapo to Top Notch. I didn't like any of them until I finally found these Huskys. My detecting buddy has 21 years of experience, and he loves the pair I bought for him. One pad did once start to have the stiches unravel, but Home Depot let me exchange them (better still, they let me keep the good one as a backup!)

For $10, its worth a try, at least.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Low-Profile-Over-Under-Knee-Pads-1H-226/300488313

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like this topic and am looking for a very durable pair. I only wear one on my right knee and it also holds my sheath for my Lesche hand digger. I started with the cheapest pair from lowes and they were good enough for the 1st season. Had them laying around since we tiled the kitchen floor. The next season I went with a more expensive pair and they do not want to stay in place and now have a rip at the center seam and are on their last leg. I am studying 3 pair for next season and they are the following

Valken Tactical ($19.44)

Valken Tactical.jpg

Voodoo Tactical ($13.85 - 21.26)

Voodoo Tactical.jpg

ALTA 50420 ($23.64)

ALTA 50420.jpg

They all appear to be very durable and have the strap I require to mount my sheath from.

Heck after I looked at my post I am leaning towards the Valken Tactical knee pad.

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously...take a look at the CRYE Precision pants. Either that, multicam/ACU pants with the foam inserts. I'm in the military and constantly have to wear knee pads. What sucks about them is if they're too loose, they slip down or shift left & right. If they're too tight, they cut off circulation and/or the straps dig into the back of your legs. That's why I like the Crye pants, because the knee pads are built into them, and also why I like the foam inserts on the hidden pockets on ACU's. It's a knee pad that is only on your knee. No straps, no shifting, in addition to that, the pants are rugged and don't rip or stain. Just take a look. You won't regret it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

jtorpy

Greenie
Apr 13, 2017
North half Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus with MI-6 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What the best quality knee pads made to go over jeans. The ones with Velcro ( not that I mind Velcro) from Home Depot and Harbor Freight didn’t hold up. Stitching didn’t hold up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been considering some duluth trading company cargo pants along with the knee pad inserts. No straps to cut circulation off in your legs. They have a pocket built into the knee area that the pads slip into. A bit pricey, but if get them I'll let everyone know how the fair.

califteacher

Sep 30, 2012
Vista, San Diego County, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for your feedback and idea of going with pants with built-in knee pads--I hadn't really thought about that. I have been struggling with knee pads that are too tight over time, or just uncomfortable. Pants where one can slip in a knee pad sounds ideal. That still leaves me with a problem at the beach where I wear shorts and kneel in the hot sand. I am working my way through options for the bare knee. Like someone already said, knee pads are a personal preference--what works for one may not work for all.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seriously...take a look at the CRYE Precision pants. Either that, multicam/ACU pants with the foam inserts. I'm in the military and constantly have to wear knee pads. What sucks about them is if they're too loose, they slip down or shift left & right. If they're too tight, they cut off circulation and/or the straps dig into the back of your legs. That's why I like the Crye pants, because the knee pads are built into them, and also why I like the foam inserts on the hidden pockets on ACU's. It's a knee pad that is only on your knee. No straps, no shifting, in addition to that, the pants are rugged and don't rip or stain. Just take a look. You won't regret it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

When I was working on a construction project about 6 years ago we were on our knees most of the day. I ended up getting a knee board that you lay down. Those straps you mentioned actually created a couple varicose veins in the back of my left leg. Too tight I guess. Those pants sound like the ticket for someone like myself. Thanks for the info.

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm on my second pair from Harbor Freight $1.99 a pair I think and they last a couple of years

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a solution to the knee pad thing that I have found to be WAY WAY better than strap on knee pads for me. I wear Carhartt bib overalls and there is a double knee that accepts a foam kneepad. It just slides in and leaves your knees with great circulation all day and when you kneel down they are in the perfect location.. The bonus is you never show Crack :D as you detect, You have lots of little pockets for the good finds as well as extra tools and such! Plus comfortable big time, Cool in the summer, just wear draws underneath and you have AC, or wear over cloths for the layered effect in winter :tongue3: plus most of the time I just wear running shorts under them and when you are done digging you unzip the leg(so your shoes or boots slide through) and take them off leaving you perfectly clean for jumping in the truck.

Attachments

• knee.jpg
    knee.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 49
  • knee2.jpg
    knee2.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 47
  • soft-knees-1010-p_01.jpg
    soft-knees-1010-p_01.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

jtorpy

Greenie
Apr 13, 2017
North half Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus with MI-6 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for your feedback and idea of going with pants with built-in knee pads--I hadn't really thought about that. I have been struggling with knee pads that are too tight over time, or just uncomfortable. Pants where one can slip in a knee pad sounds ideal. That still leaves me with a problem at the beach where I wear shorts and kneel in the hot sand. I am working my way through options for the bare knee. Like someone already said, knee pads are a personal preference--what works for one may not work for all.

For the beach invest in a decent scoop! bought mine off Ebay. One of my favorite tools for detecting. In or out of the water in sand conditions! Saves on retrieval time and get me to more targets. Plus I don't have to place my knees on the hot sand
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hex-Beach-Sand-Scoop-Hexahedron-Holes-2mm-Stainless-Steel-Metal-Detecting-Tool/302453781337?epid=875986311&hash=item466ba67359:g:y9gAAOSwstJZQEB8

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have some Dickies jeans with double thick knees and you can push padding in them if needed. Mostly in winter the lined ones are my favorite with quilting inside the entire legs. We don't have much rock here so it works well.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some Dickies jeans with double thick knees and you can push padding in them if needed. Mostly in winter the lined ones are my favorite with quilting inside the entire legs. We don't have much rock here so it works well.

These are super cheap comfortable and durable, I bet they fit your pants

Attachments

• soft-knees-1010-p_01.jpg
    soft-knees-1010-p_01.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 57
  • knee.jpg
    knee.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 46

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread