Land Speculators

Shane508

Sep 19, 2017
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I've had my eye on this one area in my town for a while that appears abandoned. Last month, I managed to find out who owns it (some religious group that were using it as a camp at one point, years ago). With no actual address for the owner, I managed to find the company/camp on Facebook. I messaged them, with my interest and intentions. A guy replied back pretty quickly, and said "I wish it was owned by us, but the Diocese sold the property to a land speculator, who does not allow use of the property. As an archaeologist, I would love to get into that property to search for stuff myself"

He doesn't know who the land speculator is, and I've done a ton of research with no results. There are a "no trespassing" signs about every 20 feet near the property, so I'm not about to risk doing something illegal, but according to old maps, there should be at least 5 cellar holes and a lot of history in this place.

I've done a lot of research on land speculators, and, in many cases, they basically just buy the land and do nothing with it for years, or even decades. This has almost become an obsession to get on this property, but I cannot find out who this speculator land owner is.

Any opinions or tips?

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Contact whatever agency in that area collects the property tax; they'll know. if, for some reason they don't know (most unlikely), my second choice would be to contact your local title company.

Don........

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Taxes indeed. Some one is paying them.
Depending on location ,some one may need to care for it some times too.
If the owner( s) shows resistance to allowing permission ,I' d ask to prove my tidyness and respect of property to the caretaker .

Should they lack a caretaker, I'm available! I mean......perhaps you are available.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Shane508

Sep 19, 2017
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it's a big chunk of land, and part of it used to be a camp. But the area that I'm interested in, about 200 feet south of the camp, is nothing but wooded area, and that's where the houses were on an 1800s map. And I have peaked through the gates of the old camp, and it looks like it has not been maintained in years, so most likely no caretaker.

Thanks for the tips though; I'll definitely have to look into property taxes and hopefully find the owner.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes you can get property owner info on Trulia.com and Realtor.com too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Shane508

Sep 19, 2017
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally found an article mentioning who bought it. I'm in MA. The people who bought it are based out of Montana, including the property manager. If I felt like being a jerk, I could probably get away with going on the property at this point, but I decided to find the property manager online and sent him a message. We'll see how it goes.

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally found an article mentioning who bought it. I'm in MA. The people who bought it are based out of Montana, including the property manager. If I felt like being a jerk, I could probably get away with going on the property at this point, but I decided to find the property manager online and sent him a message. We'll see how it goes.

Let us know how it goes. I am interested in the story and process. I have been looking at a few abandoned(?) properties in my area.

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you know any previous owner you can follow the owners thru the deeds. go to the registry of deeds, Grantor the owner and see who they sold to --repeat till current. Perry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread