What to consider before getting into detecting?

Hickory Joe

Greenie
Nov 5, 2017
El Dorado County, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been prospecting local creeks and rivers for years with pan, sluice and crevice tools. I find typical flood gold, flecks and the occasional picker. I'm yet to find any nuggets and have been thinking that metal detecting might be the only answer to my craving.

I feel I'm ready to take my prospecting to the next level, but I want to reach out before I make a very expensive purchase (I've had my eye on the GPX 4500). What considerations should I be aware of before jumping into this expensive hobby? How steep of a learning curve is there for using a PI detector?

Primarily, I plan on detecting tertiary river channels in the Sierra Nevadas. I have a handful of spots that I have always been curious about, but have had no means of productively finding anything without a detector.

Any enlightenment or insight before pulling the trigger on detecting would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your on the right equipment for what you want to do. The GPX is one of the best. Like any high end machine, there is some learning curve but a little reading and some time in the field, if it's there, you'll find it. You might want to post the same question in the prospecting section. There many knowledgable people there, probably in your area too.

Good luck.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MOST IMPORTANT: Buy your GPX from a dealer that offers at least a one day lesson in the field with your new machine. If you KNOW how to ground balance and set the machine properly, you'll find gold.

Attachments

• prescotminelabCT2.jpg
    prescotminelabCT2.jpg
    674.7 KB · Views: 60
  • prescotminelabRT.jpg
    prescotminelabRT.jpg
    520.4 KB · Views: 61

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going to hunt in the water, you may want to take a look at the Minelab SDC2300, the Garrett ATX, and the AT Gold machines. They're waterproof. You dunk any of the others and they're dead.

OP
OP
H

Hickory Joe

Greenie
Nov 5, 2017
El Dorado County, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you're going to hunt in the water, you may want to take a look at the Minelab SDC2300, the Garrett ATX, and the AT Gold machines. They're waterproof. You dunk any of the others and they're dead.

I was looking at that model, it definitely caught my attention. I hear it does really well finding small gold too. I don’t know if it would be the best choice for ancient river gravels though. There’s countless spots that I’d love to have a submersible detector; this will have to be next on my list. I can see this being a very expensive hobby; I better find some good gold to make up for it or else I’ll be in the dog house.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Look at the Minelab Equinox 800 when it's released. Sounds like it would fit the bill. Good luck!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Be prepared to dig a LOT of stuff that is not what you're looking for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread