Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Wanting to upgrade, need reviews/suggestions.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Oct 2017
    Marshfield, MO
    White's DFX (Looking to upgrade)
    7 times
    Metal Detecting

Wanting to upgrade, need reviews/suggestions.

I've had a White's DFX for years and know it's getting pretty dated. Found a lot of coins, recovered jewelry and small parts for friends and family. It's served me well, but it's past time to upgrade! I have a budget of $2300. What would you buy?

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    1671 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabre2th View Post
    I've had a White's DFX for years and know it's getting pretty dated. Found a lot of coins, recovered jewelry and small parts for friends and family. It's served me well, but it's past time to upgrade! I have a budget of $2300. What would you buy?
    Where and what type of stuff are you hunting? what are do you live in and do you have heavy mineralization in your soil? salt water? People will need this info to direct you the right way.

us
    Silver Coin Fiend

Apr 2014
    Charlotte
    XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
    10503 times
    Digging In Strangers Front Yards
    CTX3030 and Deus are the kings of the hill. I use a Deus, and have for several years. At $1500 it is wireless, ultralight and easy to use. CTX is about at your budget limit, is three time heavier and slower, but IDs deeper targets, is waterproof and works is salty marshes better.
    Sabre2th likes this.

Oct 2017
    Marshfield, MO
    7 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpmetal View Post
    Where and what type of stuff are you hunting? what are do you live in and do you have heavy mineralization in your soil? salt water? People will need this info to direct you the right way.
    I live in SW Missouri, rocky soil. I hunt mostly around old homesteads for coins, jewelry, relics. I get to the FL panhandle occasionally visiting my son in the USAF, that's as close to saltwater as I get.. Really don't know about the mineralization around here..

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    1671 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabre2th View Post
    I live in SW Missouri, rocky soil. I hunt mostly around old homesteads for coins, jewelry, relics. I get to the FL panhandle occasionally visiting my son in the USAF, that's as close to saltwater as I get.. Really don't know about the mineralization around here..
    Carolina tom has it called then. The only one I'll add to the mix is whites v3i. If i had the money and could stand swinging something that heavy I would probably own a ctx or v3i, A xp dues would be nice but comes in 3rd place to the other two in my mind. But many others swear dues is right on top so any of the 3 are good choices
    Sabre2th likes this.

Oct 2017
    Marshfield, MO
    7 times
    Metal Detecting
    Been reading up on them, and the CTX3030 fits the bill pretty good. Now to find a good deal..

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC
    XP Deus Sovereign GT
    3641 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    The CTX is very balanced when swinging so weight usually isn't an issue. My best deal was from a TNet vendor. Good luck!
    Sabre2th likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD SE, F70, 1280X Aquanaut, & Fisher F2 (loaner) Have had a TC 1023, Fisher F4, Whites Classic ID II, BH LRP, Tesoro Lobo, F75, & XP Deus.
    13844 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    I agree with Tom's post, but you might want to swing your current machine just a little bit longer. The new Minelab Equinox may be a good fit for you as well as the new machines that first Texas will be introducing in the near future.
    Carolina Tom likes this.
    Rescuing Coins 1 Beep at a time

us
    Feb 2016
    Pennsylvania
    Minelab Ctx 3030 Minelab Etrac Whites Dfx
    20 times
    Metal Detecting
    I used the Whites Dfx for years. Did very well with it. Middle of last year I bought Minelab Etrac. But winter set and never really learned to use it entirely. This past January I traded it in on a CTX. And read the big book on it a few times and took the class that Andy Sabisch gives. I would have sworn that the Dfx would hold its own against anything. And I still have it as a back up. The Ctx is not even on the same planet as the whites. I am pulling so many coins and many are silver on the places I hunted out. I let a buddy of mine detect with me once in a while using my Dfx and I follow behind him just getting hit after hit. Now the Ctx takes a lot of learning and I have the 2 other coils to go with it but if you have the time the money and the patience it is 100% worth it.
    Sabre2th likes this.

us
    BrettCo

Apr 2009
    Outside of Philadelphia, PA
    Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
    276 times
    Quote Originally Posted by slick356 View Post
    I used the Whites Dfx for years. Did very well with it. Middle of last year I bought Minelab Etrac. But winter set and never really learned to use it entirely. This past January I traded it in on a CTX. And read the big book on it a few times and took the class that Andy Sabisch gives. I would have sworn that the Dfx would hold its own against anything. And I still have it as a back up. The Ctx is not even on the same planet as the whites. I am pulling so many coins and many are silver on the places I hunted out. I let a buddy of mine detect with me once in a while using my Dfx and I follow behind him just getting hit after hit. Now the Ctx takes a lot of learning and I have the 2 other coils to go with it but if you have the time the money and the patience it is 100% worth it.
    I️ am about to pull the trigger on the ctx but was scared to do it knowing the equinox is coming out. I️ think your post just confirmed for me that I️ should go for the ctx still.
    Sabre2th likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    ZO6 Guy

Jan 2014
    Los Angeles
    Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
    1084 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by slick356 View Post

Ditto. I'd up the budget a bit, get the 17in coil and the pro swing harness. You probably could live with the stock coil if you had to till the money rolled in off the finds lol
    Sabre2th likes this.

Oct 2017
    Marshfield, MO
    7 times
    Metal Detecting
    Pulled the trigger. Have worked something out with a local dealer, will have a 17" coil as well.
    redcobra8u and BrettCo124 like this.

us
    BrettCo

Apr 2009
    Outside of Philadelphia, PA
    Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
    276 times
    Congrats! Ill be doing the same on Monday.
    Sabre2th likes this.

Feb 2017
    Pa
    856 times
    How does the ctx do in an iron pit?

Oct 2017
    Marshfield, MO
    7 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by HighVDI View Post
    How does the ctx do in an iron pit?
    VERY well from what I'm hearing, reading, watching YouTube. It is capable of showing both ferrous and low-conductivity simultaneously on screen, so can sort trash well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links