Detector(s) used
ACE 250... & Bounty Hunter LONESTAR
Upvote 0

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I bought this tool for my girlfriend and she likes it. I have used it and I like it. It feels strong enough, the teeth could be a little tighter or sharper to cut through tough roots better, but overall, not a bad tool.

WV_Detecting

Oct 24, 2005
WV
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Buy a Lesche!! I had one, digs and works great but it is weak, mine broke at gap between last tooth and handle. My huntin buddy's did too, same place.

Ice Fishin Nut

Jul 28, 2007
Algonac, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Being a newbie, and not wanting to spend a ton of money just getting into this new addiction, I did some research on here for digging tools. I found some pics of a digger that someone made(wish I could give proper credit to the member, but cant remember his name) and went to the local hardware to try and find something. Came up with this,
http://www.fiskars.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10101&categoryId=10271&productId=10539
It was $7.99 and cuts through the hardest of soils with one plunge, also can be pried from full depth with no bending.

Just my $.02 ;D

OP
OP
CORY IN FLA

CORY IN FLA

Jul 10, 2007
Edgewater Fla,
Detector(s) used
ACE 250... & Bounty Hunter LONESTAR
well after posting this question in a few diffrent md forums it seems like more was said better about the Lesche digger, so i found one o ebay witch actually when talleyed up would be about 10 bucks cheaper then the gator digger. so i ordered it after it got to thinking with the teeth on both side and small roots might get hung up between the gaps of the teeth on the gator,where the Lesche has the like knife blade on the one side so you can at least turn it to use the blade part to cut through the grass roots, the part of Fla I'm in the majority of the grass that grows is st Augustine grass and the root can be a pain cutting through as thick and as tight knit as they are , the digging is easy it all sand but the tight knit grass is the pain getting through.

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE
I dont know how people live without a lesche. I was very worried about spending 30+ bucks on a trowel, but its well worth it. Ive never even dented the lesche but , if anything ever happens to it Ill be buying another. Hh dave.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Ice Fishin Nut said:
Being a newbie, and not wanting to spend a ton of money just getting into this new addiction, I did some research on here for digging tools. I found some pics of a digger that someone made(wish I could give proper credit to the member, but cant remember his name) and went to the local hardware to try and find something. Came up with this,
http://www.fiskars.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10101&categoryId=10271&productId=10539
It was $7.99 and cuts through the hardest of soils with one plunge, also can be pried from full depth with no bending.

Just my $.02 ;D

Had three of these they all broke off at the handle. Buy the Ames from Lowes for a few $$ more, but nothing beats the Lesche in my opinion.

To be totally honest, I hate to post this as I have had nothing but good interaction with Kellyco, but I would not buy this tool. My brother-in-law and sister have one. The steel is not as sturdy as a Lesche. I bent theirs one day using it, I have never gotten the Lesche to even give me one second where I though it would break and I have been rough with mine. The thing just isn't sharp and the teeth are shaped wrong for cutting through roots. This is just my opinion.

Ice Fishin Nut

Jul 28, 2007
Algonac, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
mastereagle22 said:
Had three of these they all broke off at the handle. Buy the Ames from Lowes for a few $$ more, but nothing beats the Lesche in my opinion.

No problems so far, but that doesnt mean I wont later. Actually, I did go looking for the Ames, but after hitting 4 different Lowes, with no luck, I settled on the Fiskars.....

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ice Fishin Nut said:
Being a newbie, and not wanting to spend a ton of money just getting into this new addiction, I did some research on here for digging tools. I found some pics of a digger that someone made(wish I could give proper credit to the member, but cant remember his name)
You may be thinking of Mighty AP's digging tool.http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,74000.0.html

willisjj

Nov 2, 2005
Owasso, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Current: Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Cibola

Past: Sovereign GT, Garrett Treasure Ace 250, Tesoro Compadre, Etrac, Sovereign XS, Whites 6000D, Garrett Master Hunter BFO
I bought a Fiskars and although it seemed sturdy, I bent the blade last week. Granted, it was very hard ground I was digging in.....thinking of buying a Lesche (sp?).

B

BIG61AL

I'll never use any thing but a lesche even I do break it I'll just get another one.

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
I used one a long time ago, broke it...

I have a digger now, I forget what it's called and havent seen it in a long time, but it's a curved shank of hardened steel with a cutting edge on it and it's rectangular in shape. Thing weighs a good pound probably but it'll cut through roots or whatever you need and the more you use it the sharper it seems to get.

Aaron

mark.

Apr 13, 2006
..........nah, don't use them. Won one of those at a hunt once & notice it bends upon use.

However, I'm pretty hard on tools having broke a many of them over the years.

This one sits in my duffel bag for others to use........see ya mark

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
mastereagle22 said:
Ice Fishin Nut said:

Just my $.02 ;D

To be totally honest, I hate to post this as I have had nothing but good interaction with Kellyco, but I would not buy this tool. My brother-in-law and sister have one. The steel is not as sturdy as a Lesche. I bent theirs one day using it, I have never gotten the Lesche to even give me one second where I though it would break and I have been rough with mine. The thing just isn't sharp and the teeth are shaped wrong for cutting through roots. This is just my opinion.

guys.. its a shovel not a polestep! breaking, bending, snapping.. geez. what do you guys do? wedge them under car tires and then put a pipe on the handle for leverage?!?!?

small shovels should be used just like a dremel tool, let the tool work for you. sounds like some of you guys are putting all your body weight into these things without taking the time to work the dirt and cut roots.

i'm using the fiskars tool and its great. $10 and well worth it.

jfx55

Apr 13, 2006
new jersey/pa/bucks county
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
fisher1266-x whites 6000 pro whites 5900 di pro/nautlis 2b
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
best digging tool ever military bayonet cut down. better than a leshe tool and much cheaper tool got mine at a local flea market for 15.oo bucks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread