Detector Upgrade

Alchemist

Feb 8, 2014
Badger State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro w/11" coil, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garret ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In recommend you simply buy a couple coils for your machine. The majority of my keeper coins, bling, and relics were only 5-9 inches deep. Unless you plan on hunting for CW relics in pounded fields a nice DD coil and a sniper coil may be all you need.

You're timing is spot on though. I went for depth back in 2014 and bought a used F75LTD which you can get now for $699 (the F75+ and you get a digging tool and pin pointer). The Minelab Equinox looks to be a good machine coming out soon also. Just in the past 2 years the quality of detectors has risen and yet the prices have fallen.

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An amazing coin machine in your price range, brand new, would be the minelab Safari. Fbs technology. You can find them used as low as 500 bucks. I own one. I never shut up about it. But you asked, so there it is! You just can’t go wrong. It is a little on the heavier side though.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Research all you can for at least two months. Read all the forums for the different brands and the pluses and minuses for each one then go with your gut and you will still wish you would have bought a different one.. With the exception of relic hunting which the Deus is famous for it's your skill level in using the detector you choose that counts. To many bells and whistles makes you constantly doubt yourself. I have an Ace 250, At Pro, Whites V3i, Minelab E-trac. Each has there advantages but the hardest to learn is the V3i. Again go with your gut. Anyone with more than two detectors will tell you it's more how well you know your detector than brand or price

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT PRO gives you the luxury of being able to hunt in all terrain as well as water.
I used one for 2 years before upgrading to an Etrac. The Etrac is a killer on Silver and did detect Mercury Dimes at 10 inches. I purchased a second hand Etrac for $850 from a fellow forum member who used it 3 times and couldn't understand what it was saying. There are some deals to be had if you are patient. The only drawback with the Etrac is rain or wet conditions. The Etrac doesn't play well with water. The AT PRO is waterproof. I also have other machines but these two are within your budget and serve a coinshooter well.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will have to agree with Terry on his selection of the Outlaw for a coin shooting machine. I personally use the Tesoro Outlaw exclusively for park, school and playing field coin shooting...the machine is deadly for this type of treasure hunting.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will have to agree with Terry on his selection of the Outlaw for a coin shooting machine. I personally use the Tesoro Outlaw exclusively for park, school and playing field coin shooting...the machine is deadly for this type of treasure hunting.

Is this a deep machine? Never really looked into this model.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Perhaps the Minelab Equinox 600 for $649 new, and/or a Garrett AT Pro for around $350 used? The Equinox 600 transmits on 5, 10, or 15 kHz or multi. Best wishes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread