Is this an old pee wee baseball field?

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son and I were walking the dog, exploring deep in a naturalized area near the city and came into a large flat opening that was framed by large old growth native trees. It was a bit unusual and I noticed an old small concrete structure off to one side. I knew that when I got home some research was in order! When I looked through old aerials in that spot I found what appears to be a small baseball field. I don't know what else it could be. Please have a look and let me know your opinion:

Ball-Field.jpg

As you can see there are two structures that look to me like dugouts. If it is a BB field, then it would have to be a PeeWee sized one as they are typically 200' and outfield would be exactly 200' on this feature. A little more context: There used to be some military housing nearby and I have to wonder if this was some sort of unofficial or homemade field for their kids. This feature is not listed on any maps or plans of that area, whereas other ball fields are, and the plans I have are very detailed. The "field" disappears after the late 1960s, which is when the military housing was abandoned. Unfortunately there is a large gap in aerial photos, so I don't know when it was established, but my guess would the early 1940s.

In any event, for sure I will go swing out there in a few weeks, but would like to hear your thoughts. I can't think of any other feature that looks like that. Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell from the attached image. Do you have a better resolution image? Could it have been a baseball field for the military housing? If so try to research what base was near this housing and research any teams that might have played there? Don’t get hung up on the dimensions. The outfield is important however the dimensions can vary greatly Between different fields
F7965B7A-4DEB-427E-B370-1AD9B76EB79E.jpeg

OP
OP
Echoplex

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell from the attached image. Do you have a better resolution image? Could it have been a baseball field for the military housing? If so try to research what base was near this housing and research any teams that might have played there? Don’t get hung up on the dimensions. The outfield is important however the dimensions can vary greatly Between different fields

That's the best resolution available. The base's field was nearby, but was much bigger, like a standard pro-sized with a 400' outfield. That one is also on maps/plans. This one is roughly half the size, which made me think pee wee league.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Play Ball!!!!!

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it’s in private property make sure you “hit” it AFTER you get permission

8DCB025C-2A53-48E3-BFB8-74C0E9174B1D.jpeg

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worth investigation due to concrete structure mentioned......:thumbsup:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
100% a ball field.
If not little league, then a sandlot with all the fixins for the kids of the GI’s.
Can’t wait to see the goods.

OP
OP
Echoplex

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to finally swing out there sometime this week and sample it. Unfortunately not many places I can get my coil low enough, but if we get some snow in the near future it will push the taller grasses down. Will report back on what I find. Thanks everyone!

OP
OP
Echoplex

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I spent a couple hours there and found nothing of great interest. A few pennies from the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Some 80s bottle caps, pipe parts, nuts and bolts, but nothing old or from the silver era as I had really hoped. Was really hoping to post a picture with some silver coins for you all, but that's just the way it goes. On to the next project! Thanks again for all the comments.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be on that like white on rice.

You’d better beat me there!:headbang: That’s EXACTLY the kind of thing I look for. OP... Hunt that field with a big coil THOROUGHLY!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread