blaineh21

Greenie
Dec 10, 2017
Duarte CA
Detector(s) used
looking to buy one
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello, im Blaine, I live near Azusa California. I really have no idea what detector to get. I want to go up on the San Gabriel east for river and look for some cold in dry rockey areas and river bed areas also. i want to also go to parks and beaches to look for random thinks. i been looking at alot of different types and these keep coming up

anything bounty hunter under $120

Garrett ACE 200 Metal Detector found some deals

can anyone give me some help it would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Blaine

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - Noticed this is your first post - so, Welcome Aboard Blaine! Take a look at Sub-Forums: California for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.
tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved this thread from Brands over to Forum: Metal Detecting for more exposure.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
If you are looking for tiny gold nuggets sorry to say most entry level detectors just aren't up to the task.
As far as parks and most normal things we look for most detectors can and do find metal like coins but it all depends on how deep you want to go and how easy you want it to be and that can be price sensitive.
Evidently you are looking at low end which is fine, many get into the hobby this way and upgrade later on if they stay in the hobby.
My suggestion would be look for a nice, used Compadre, they come up in the classifieds from time to time pretty cheap and brand new for only $160 with free shipping from most dealers.
Lots of bang for the buck on this little thing.

Google "Church of the Compadre" to understand why it has such a following.

Last edited:

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the Compadre. Great machine for beginner or experienced. 2.2 pounds means you can swing all day, Great discrimination with one knob, $160 New with a lifetime warranty. I have 5 detectors and the Compadre is the one that is in my van wherever I go. My first gold and my most recent gold were found with a Compadre. Good Luck!

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also higly recommend the Tesoro Compadre. Light, easy to use and will find the goodies. And lifetime waranty by Tesoro, wat else do you want.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Virginia, I am new also, listen to these more senior members they are a wealth of advise. If I were buying a used detector I would buy it from one of the members as they have skin in the game regarding the hobby.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, im Blaine, I live near Azusa California. I really have no idea what detector to get. I want to go up on the San Gabriel east for river and look for some cold in dry rockey areas and river bed areas also. i want to also go to parks and beaches to look for random thinks. i been looking at alot of different types and these keep coming up

anything bounty hunter under $120

Garrett ACE 200 Metal Detector found some deals

can anyone give me some help it would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Blaine

If you are looking for gold nuggets, none of those detectors is a good choice. Nugget hunting requires specialized equipment and its not cheap. As for park hunting, the ACE could be a good starter, but I would stay away from any bottom priced Bounty Hunter (personal choice).

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all depends on how much money you have to initially invest into this hobby. I have seen many neat finds including a very recent find by a member in Santa Barbara where he dug up a 40+ gram silver bracelet with a Bounty Hunter.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/562854-45-grams-925-a.html

I am a big advocate of getting the best detector you can afford and not falling into the buy the most expensive detector and that alone will find you treasure.

Bounty Hunter is owned by First Texas Products, which is the company that also owns Fisher and Teknetics. That company has a solid history in the metal detecting field.

These detectors are made in Texas, so you’ll be supporting the U.S economy when you buy this brand.

B11C08B8-F8C1-4517-BAA4-47B166E71C4D.jpeg

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Jason in Enid about finding gold with a "machine" (metal detector), as you have to have one that ground balances - especially for salty hunts, at the beach!

So, you're talking mid-higher-end cost detector$ that are water-resistant/proof as well,
but that doesn't sound like what blaineh21 wants..., something, basically, inexpensive,
to see if the hobby fits, being a newbie and all....

My recommendations are the Tesoro Co. line of detectors, that have a life-time guarantee,
are really well built and perform superbly! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

blaineh21

Greenie
Dec 10, 2017
Duarte CA
Detector(s) used
looking to buy one
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thankyou all for your replies any information I can soak in will help me greatly. I was looking on the low end because there are these detectors that I found on this app going for 45 to 75 bucks. and thought that was a good deal since Im new.

say I was going sluicing and I bought the detector would it help me at all find a spot that might have gold?

there are a lot of parks near me and ill go there also. just want to try to get something that works for both. If it's not then ill just have to get one that works best at parks and beaches and can eliminate bottle caps and pull tabs

7d7e727b716f41a794c6713a355b9155.jpg
$45

b6822e69a4db4afe9ca11d85c7e3d8b2.jpg
$45

7d7e727b716f41a794c6713a355b9155.jpg
$45

e2fa8a27073f4a04a0c98147fadbe693.jpg
$50

95a15ec04d704ac8ada4dbe945ea50e8.jpg
$75

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

blaineh21

Greenie
Dec 10, 2017
Duarte CA
Detector(s) used
looking to buy one
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tn_md.gif
1st - Noticed this is your first post - so, Welcome Aboard Blaine! Take a look at Sub-Forums: California for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.
tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved this thread from Brands over to Forum: Metal Detecting for more exposure.
Thank you for the reply I will check out the page right now. Does that page help with picking a dector or helps find locals?

OP
OP
B

blaineh21

Greenie
Dec 10, 2017
Duarte CA
Detector(s) used
looking to buy one
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Jason in Enid about finding gold with a "machine" (metal detector), as you have to have one that ground balances - especially for salty hunts, at the beach!

So, you're talking mid-higher-end cost detector$ that are water-resistant/proof as well,
but that doesn't sound like what blaineh21 wants..., something, basically, inexpensive,
to see if the hobby fits, being a newbie and all....

My recommendations are the Tesoro Co. line of detectors, that have a life-time guarantee,
are really well built and perform superbly! :thumbsup:

If It wont help me prospect gold then I will just try to buy a better one for the beach and parks. when you say mid to higher end what price range are we talking?

OP
OP
B

blaineh21

Greenie
Dec 10, 2017
Duarte CA
Detector(s) used
looking to buy one
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are looking for tiny gold nuggets sorry to say most entry level detectors just aren't up to the task.
As far as parks and most normal things we look for most detectors can and do find metal like coins but it all depends on how deep you want to go and how easy you want it to be and that can be price sensitive.
Evidently you are looking at low end which is fine, many get into the hobby this way and upgrade later on if they stay in the hobby.
My suggestion would be look for a nice, used Compadre, they come up in the classifieds from time to time pretty cheap and brand new for only $160 with free shipping from most dealers.
Lots of bang for the buck on this little thing.

Google "Church of the Compadre" to understand why it has such a following.

Ok so if you were to recoment a mid range detecor what would you suggest? im open to spendign maybe 200 if i get a good deal college life budget is not the best thing ive ever gone throuh

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ALWAYS DIG PULLTABS! If You are not digging pull tabs, YOU ARE MISSING GOLD! My first gold ring was found less than 6 inches away from a hole dug the day before by a guy that never digs pulltabs. I was hunting swingsets in a local park and knew the other guy had been there the day before. I found one dime, one penny, one quarter, 12 nickels, 20+ pull tabs AND A GOLD RING with eveidence of the other guy digging less than 6 inches away.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Blaine,
I hunt the OC beaches. I love being down at the beach and it’s incredible exercise. I don’t get inland much at all. If you know you’ll be in my area (Bolsa Chica) pm me and maybe we can get together for a hunt.
I also have a couple of new Teknetics detectors for sale (new in box and unused) if interested. A Eurotek Pro and an Omega 8500.
$150 for the Eurotek Pro and $275. for the Omega 8500.
Both are exceptional detectors that may fit what you’re looking for.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$150.00 for that eurotek pro is a steal IMO. Actually, both are great deals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread