Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: CTX or Equinox

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2012
    D'Iberville MS
    E-Trac Equinox 800 Equinox 600
    770 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Thanks guys, that's an overload of information and that's what I like. I agree Cipher about the V3i being a detector nerds dream. If I go with the CTX I will probably give my eTrac to my grandson and if I go with the Equinox I will probably sell the V3i and still give the Etrac to my grandson. In either case I will probably get rid of the V3i. I will keep my AtPro because it's nice to have an extra detector around to introduce a newbie to detecting and it's easy to use.
    Ben Had likes this.

I don't detect for the stuff I find, I detect for the stuff I haven't found.

If I didn't find it I hope you did.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    12988 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (5)
    If at all possible, I'd test each at a dealer's. Give it a couple months, see what the reviews are. Hold any machine in your hand you are looking at buying. Here's something to think about. Assuming Minelab has created the end all machine in the Equinox 800, if that has happened, they won't be selling any of their high end VLF machines any more, with the assumption no one will want to pay more for less. So...with that thought, I doubt the Equinox will walk on water. I do believe they are trying to compete with the AT series and the MX series, as others have stated, and not underpricing and outperforming their own high end machines. Just a thought. Or as dad used to say, you get what you pay for. I am sure it will be a good machine, but, will it beat everything out there. No, too many variables to contend with for any machine to do that.
    Ben Had and Benjamin52 like this.

us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" Butterfly coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil Whites (1970s)
    1080 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Just discovered the Equinox 800 is a 2 dimensional machine that gives it stability, like the CTX 3030, in target identification at different depths - a feature I was hoping it would have and yet another reason to seriously consider the Equinox 800. At $899 this machine appears under priced for the features...can't imagine anyone choosing a single VLF machine over the 800.
    Agent Green likes this.
    Metal Detecting Goal in Life is to Find Wife a 2ct Diamond Ring (so she'll be quiet about all my metal detecting).

Nov 2012
    222 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LawrencetheMDer View Post
    Just discovered the Equinox 800 is a 2 dimensional machine that gives it stability, like the CTX 3030, in target identification at different depths - a feature I was hoping it would have and yet another reason to seriously consider the Equinox 800. At $899 this machine appears under priced for the features...can't imagine anyone choosing a single VLF machine over the 800.
    Are you saying that it is going to have the FE CO numbers like the etrac and ctx? All I saw on the demo videos were conductive numbers on the target ID.

us
    Oct 2009
    7150 times
    Quote Originally Posted by marjam View Post
    Are you saying that it is going to have the FE CO numbers like the etrac and ctx? All I saw on the demo videos were conductive numbers on the target ID.
    No, its uses the same principle as the CTX in its target separation, but its a straight line -10 to 40 display
    Normsel likes this.

us
    Jul 2013
    Midwest
    Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Tesoro Silver Umax,
    897 times
    I am getting the Equinox.. CTX was my first.. its a great machine... With the new technology who knows if Minelab isn't already
    working on upgrade? If you get the CTX you will not be disappointed..

de
    Apr 2011
    Germany
    XP DEUS :-: Minelab CTX 3030
    632 times
    My 2 (euro)cents:

I have a CTX.
    Unlike most others here I hunt in Europe, so the situation will be a bit different.

Someone said the Equinox was made to outclass the At max or something like that I read.

I personally believe the Equinox is the Minelab answer to the XP Deus. If you look at the price, design, functions, it's basically a juiced-up waterproof XP DEUS.
    And I think I know why.
    I hunt with buddies who mostly have the XP DEUS and I know the CTX very well but I do not find significantly more. I have to say, we hunt mainly fields and forests and do not want to miss tiny celtic or medieval coins. It is not like in the US where deep silver or relics are priority.

So minelab had to counter the XP deus for european hunters and also compete in the US and Australia where the Deus is getting more and more popularity also..

If I were to buy a new detector now, I would probably buy an XP deus or wait and buy the Equinox because the 2000 bucks for the CTX is just not worth the tiny improvement and extra features it brings. If I were a beach jewelry hunter, maybe the CTX might be better, but other than that I have yet to hear a good argument.

Don't get me wrong, I love my CTX and found all kinds of ancient stuff, but the weight just kills you after 4 hours and you see your buddies whippin' their Deuses all over the place and making the same finds you start to think...

Good luck with whatever detector you buy!
    Ben Had likes this.

Nov 2012
    222 times
    I have said that hope the equinox is great, but we won't know for sure until it is tried out in the field. we will see how it does in tests and reviews. I am looking forward to them. The other top models have proven their worth already so comparing them with the equinox will be the litmus test.

us
    Jan 2013
    Floresville TX.
    53 times
    Metal Detecting
    I'm gonna wait till the equinox is out a while before I even think about it. Of course there is a lot of hype since it's a we machine and most videos out now are minelab sponsored so of course it is going to be the greatest machine ever. So far I am not totally impressed yet.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    12988 times
    Banner Finds (5)
    Marjan and rickbrk are correct. We will know...sometime this year. The hype is getting annoying. The Equinox will be like every other machine out there. That is, good for some people and their sites, not for others. I have purchased at least 3 machines I plain did not like. They were all sold within 3 months. There was nothing at all wrong with any of them. I just plain did not like them. One was too hard to learn, the other too nose heavy, the other oversold due to the hype. Didn't live up to the expectations. Expect the same to happen with this one. It's just how it is and has nothing to do with how good or bad any given machine is, or any manufacturer. One interesting thing. At the retail price, what did they leave out?

us
    Sep 2012
    D'Iberville MS
    E-Trac Equinox 800 Equinox 600
    770 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I actually think the equinox is going to be the test detector for the ctx replacement I would guess that will be out in about 2 yrs. I think the new ctx will use upgraded equinox technology along with the other features the ctx already has. The ctx came out in 2012 and I would think 2020 would be the target date for the ctx replacement. I am getting the equinox no matter what. Being 73 I don't think I have many detecting years left in this old body
    masterjedi, Ben Had and JOe L like this.

I don't detect for the stuff I find, I detect for the stuff I haven't found.

If I didn't find it I hope you did.

us
    May 2014
    Gastonia, NC
    Minelab CTX 3030. Minelab 705, Garrett Ace 350
    142 times
    The CTX is a beast. Itís the baddest detector on the market to date.

I have one, and Iíve never regretted buying it.

Just ask Gary Drayton, the metal detection master. He uses the 3030 on the Curse of Oak Island.

It out performs anything on the market right now
    I'm not bad, but the bad don't mess with me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links