Heart wrenching detecting stories

Wrecka

Jun 22, 2017
Gold Coast Queensland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just read this on the business page of my Local Detecting supplier, very sad with happy ending.
Story followed by find footage.

Tragic car crash, victim’s lost ring found at scene, returned to grieving family 01-08-15
This was one of the hardest call outs I’ve ever had to respond to. A young woman was tragically killed in a car crash. The car had lost control at speed and rolled over numerous times during which her ring had come off her hand. After such a devastating event her family desperately wanted to find this ring and keep it as a memory of her life. The ring had been given to her by her father when she was 21. He sadly passed away shortly after and so it had never left her finger in the 9 years since that birthday. This ring meant everything to her family and her ex-boyfriend Zanda. I would do everything I could to find it and get it back to them.

I travelled out to the scene and met up with Zanda, who took me to where the tragedy had occurred. He had a forensic police map showing exactly what had happened. We followed the gouge marks and estimated the different roll points. I had brought an array of different metal detectors so Zanda and his father could also help in the search, as the crash zone was quite vast.

The victim had also lost 2 earrings during the event and the family also wanted them returned. While examining the area where the car had come to finally rest I noticed a different glint amongst the glass and debris field, there was one of her earrings! I handed it to Zanda who was amazed at how quickly it had been found, we had high hopes that the ring wouldn’t be too far away either. It was such a sombre moment, holding something of hers she was wearing up until she passed, but we pressed on.

We split up in to quadrants, each doing a different area. Sad reminders of what had happened that fateful night were all around us, broken sunglasses, a shoe and other heart wrenching items. It was a very emotional scene for everyone involved. I could only imagine what Zanda and her family were going through.

We searched for 4 hours, covering every inch of soil and grass from where the car first left the road. Still no luck. We were not going to give up. We were all prepared to search for days if we needed to. I must have bent down close to 300 times with my pin pointer, each time hoping to see the gem covered golden ring but it was disappointment every time. We continued to widen and widen our search area.

But just as our legs were starting to cramp — a scream from Zanda — I immediately rushed over to see him crouching over, overcome with emotion. His father hugging him as Zanda broke down. He had found it. I’ve never seen something so moving, the relief, joy and sadness all wrapped together. It was so poetic that Zanda was the one to find her ring, it meant the world to him — knowing how much it she cherished it and that it had not left her finger in almost 10 years.

It had come to lie a good 20 meters past the outer perimeter of our search area. We were all completely amazed at how far it had travelled from where the car had finally come to rest. It must have come off at the top of one of the rolls to get an optimal trajectory to make it such a huge distance, bouncing and rolling off the gravel to where now Zanda stood, still shaking from the discovery.

It was a recovery job and a day I will never ever forget. I can only hope it brings a small amount of joy back to a devastated family. They can never get her back, but the ring will make sure her most precious possession lives on with them forever.

Please watch the amazing moment when Zanda found the ring:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

Wrecka

Jun 22, 2017
Gold Coast Queensland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goes to show every bit of lost jewelry , money and relics has it's own unique story to tell.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very sad but at the same time an awesome recovery prayers for the family

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
wrecka, great story. Thanx for sharing. Thanx for being involved. The sherlock holmes "who-dunnit-mystery" solved, is half this hobby. Great job.

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I said it before. (the old dog tag found in Florida) These stories are a testimony of the character of most metal detector enthusiasts. We are not all greedy, keep at all cost, unscrupulous hole diggers. I have a story that will go with me to the grave. I had a old guy that worked for me that had been marries for 67 years when his wife died. He lost his wedding ring doing yard work. A co-worker and I where talking about metal detecting. long story short. He told me ( I loved this old guy and would have done anything for him))about losing his ring. My wife and I went to his yard and I searched for his ring. 10 minuets in I found it, I was on my knees when I handed it to him. HUGE tears rolled down his cheeks and he started to cry, needless to say my wife and I balded right along with him.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You started your post by saying,
"Very sad but happy ending"
Thank you for helping these people.
Honorable Mention

OP
OP
W

Wrecka

Jun 22, 2017
Gold Coast Queensland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please dont thank me for this , i was just sharing a story someone else had a hand in.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree that many of us have a heart and try to return items, but there are also those who live the Pirate life and go with the motto "Finder's Keepers's".

Evilpope

Apr 4, 2016
Griffith,In
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 350, bounty hunter lone star pro, whites trx pinpointer, Garrett ace 400, Garrett pro pointer 2, Garrett AT gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was awesome,,most people don't understand that ring maybe 100 dollars if it was sodas scrap but that's somebody's memories,, good on u man

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread