You methods or tips..

A. Fitzpatrick

Dec 4, 2017
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all! Im curious if any of you have any advice as to how you are getting permissions.. I’m a pretty friendly guy and my approach is good, but I’ve heard ‘No’ quite a bit lately or just coming up with dead ends. Lots and lots of online searching for old homes in the area, but that’s difficult also as there isn’t just a ‘list’ of old houses. The historic aerials site led me to a huge field where a couple old homes were taken down in the 70’s.. and that farmer actually gave me permission which is great and that’s my go-to right now.. but obviously the more i ‘throw against the wall’ the more will stick. Just trying to make use of down time so when I can go hunt, I actually have more than one place to go. So far my best site has been 600 miles away back home. My moms house built in 1860 produced a 1890 Morgan SIlver dollar. I’ve only been MDing since November and have many tactics yet to learn.. figures I’d as the pros!
Thanks!

-A

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be clean, dress casually, don't be too wordy. LISTEN to the homeowner, try and determine what is important / interesting to THEM about the property. Leave them a Card with your contact info on it! - Smile!

Good Luck! :occasion14:

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never walk up with your gear in hand.
Don’t dress like a salesman
Don’t take the first NO
Tell them you collect old coins and relics most of them valued between $1-5 each and yiu would be happy to show them what you find
Here is an example of the idea
DB5BAA89-5B62-4A72-AF22-105BA96A43D5.jpeg
Here is a super small one for ease of carry
And it’s cheap as well

3CF333FF-2CC3-4766-B1B7-F107F036336F.jpeg

Tell them you carry out all trash and they won’t even know you were there.

Most important tip is leave the gear in the car and give them a couple card, if they say
No then thy can pass your cards to other friends who might.

Cheers

34A7E5BC-B90E-4297-930E-C58ADA65C6FB.jpeg

OP
OP
A

A. Fitzpatrick

Dec 4, 2017
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice! Any tips on finding the older houses? I drive around a lot, look for older type houses, (I know what to look for) but it’s tricky in my city, gotta get to the outskirts... anything online y’all use?
Thanks again!

-A

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the 1890 Morgan, one of those is on my list to find. Being a newbie as well, I am interested to read tips from the pros on getting permission. I like the card idea and will get some printed up soon. Also like the relic holder to show the homeowner what types of inexpensive finds might be out there.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Become involved as a docent and member of historical societies and museums. They are always begging for volunteer help. Docent work can be something like 6 hrs. per month, where all you do is man a desk, etc....

Once you've got those credentials, and the cool name ID badge it affords you, you will find that to "open a lot of doors". Eg.: "Hi, I work for the such & such museum. I'm doing a research project on the such & such stage stop (resort, cellar hole, ghost town .... or ... fill-in-the-blank) that is said to be on the back 40 of the property here. Do you mind if I take some pictures ?" And then .... slowly morph into md'ing permission. Like ... regale them with some examples of "what you found right down the road " blah blah

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do you have a kid? I used to bring my daughter with me, it is really hard to say no when you have a cute little kid staring you in the eyes...... I know, kinda deplorable but works like a charm. If you don't have a kid,I find that talking about the property or town history really brings people in and gets them interested. you would be surprised on how many people have no idea of their home town history. I don't even mention metal detecting until we have a nice conversation going.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Zillows app when driving around and plug in the year of home I am searching for, I have found some older homes hiding in "New" neighborhoods. HH

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tell them they can have what I find because I do it as a hobby and more interested in the hunt and any coins or relics I find on their property is their's if they want it. Most often they tell me to keep what I find but they would like to see it.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Once I get permission, I often will ask for the phone number so I can call in advance. I also talk with the property owners casually, about family, and pets. Don't hurry to get away from them.

Occasionally I will slip into the conversation questions about other locations they may know about which I can search.

When I get a "no", I am always polite and say thanks, and do not trespass. But I follow up every few years, after a few years sometimes those "no's" become "yes".

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I print up a release of liability form that I offer to sign and give to them. My yes answer's improved drastically. So many people are afraid of being sues and by taking that out of the equation I found people are more likely to let you search their land. Also do your research on the area and explain to the land owner "why" you are interested in their land. I have had land owners open up and tell me lots of history and other places to look on their property. The most important thing I do is stop back by on your way out and show the owner some ( yes, I said some) what you found. There interest peaks and you are much more likely to have an open invite the next time you want to come back. I showed a old farmer a couple old traps that I found, they were his grandfathers, His grandfather used to trap when he was a kid to try and make extra money. They didn't mean anything to me but when I offered to give then to the farmer, I made a new friend and hunted his farm several more times. Just a few things I do.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of good advice,,
Definitely join the historical society. Not only is it a way of giving back, but it will give you some information about the properties before you visit.
It can't hurt to make the owner(s), aware of the Ghost that is said to haunt their house.

Last edited:

beep1971

Jan 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a NO from a local estate via email, they thought that i was a paranormal investigator because i had a detecting device!
I sent a return email explaining, but no reply lol

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do NOT wear anything camo. Virginia is one of those place lots of people ask to detect so it's harder there than in a lot of other places due to the Civil War activity there. The points listed above are good. Look harmless. Smile a lot.

OP
OP
A

A. Fitzpatrick

Dec 4, 2017
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All really great advice, I will be sure to apply these ideas and hopefully I’ll get more ‘yes’ answers. Unfortunately I don’t have a kid to bring with me haha! Thanks everyone!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And make the true promise, if a miracle were to happen and you find a true treasure, define that treasure as 5 of more gold coins together, you will share it with them 50/50. I always do that. Most times they just smilingly laugh at me. Nobody thinks there is gold on their property. Of course, I've never found a gold cache either.

fuzzy535

Dec 12, 2014
fairview park, ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, ACE 350,
Fisher F4, whites prizm III, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i picked up two properties today just talking to one of the guys at work about my hobbie. i find out his house was built in the 1920's and jokingly told him he should let me detect it. he said come on down then he told me about his dads house which is even older. so just in casual conversation it panned out. now i just need warmer weather...

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for the advice! Any tips on finding the older houses? I drive around a lot, look for older type houses, (I know what to look for) but it’s tricky in my city, gotta get to the outskirts... anything online y’all use?
Thanks again!

-A

Although I use it to survey beaches, you can use Google satellite maps of areas to look for remnants of ancient structures and even old roads.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions