Jun 22, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
White's MX Sport,
White's MX5,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm debating on whether or not to start using headphones when detecting. I have a pair of studio headphones laying around (Audio Technica) that I was going to use. Since you can get a 3.5mm - 1/4" adapter for $5 on Amazon, figured why not give it a shot.

What's your experience using headphones vs not? The speaker on my MX5 is pretty loud, but it crosses my mind that I've possibly been missing deep signals. My only major concern using them is not being able to hear what's going on around me....guess that's what concealed carry is for :thumbsup:

HH

Upvote 0

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Headphones - those quiet little deep whispers, and I can hunt stealthily without adopting tribes of kids.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I'm a headphone guy for all the reasons cited. I only have one ear covered though. I want to be aware if anyone is coming up on me. I got fooled one time and a guy walked right up to me 2 feet away and I didn't notice him until he said something. If he would have had bad intentions, I would have been in a bad way. Since then I leave one ear uncovered.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
definitely headphones as others have pointed out I use them but because of the area I live and hunt I only have one ear covered most of the time as I do not want some four legged or two legged animal sneaking in on me

OP
OP
KJP462

KJP462

Jun 22, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
White's MX Sport,
White's MX5,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for the feedback! Seems like headphones are going to be a very wise investment -- one I plan on making before the weather breaks!

HH

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will hear the deep whisper targets that you won't hear at all without headphones and you will hear targets with good headphones that you can't hear with cheap ones. The really deep whisper targets are usually the good stuff. HH

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use earbuds because none of the regular sized headphones fit me well without falling off and I feel like they allow me to hear feint signals better through the chatter.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a headphone guy for all the reasons cited. I only have one ear covered though. I want to be aware if anyone is coming up on me. I got fooled one time and a guy walked right up to me 2 feet away and I didn't notice him until he said something. If he would have had bad intentions, I would have been in a bad way. Since then I leave one ear uncovered.

Do ya remember the T.V. show "Mick Dodge"?? I was down on the ground (in a park) diggin' a target when all of a sudden, this Mick Dodge type puts the sneak on me. He hollers "HAVE YA FOUND ANYTHING"?? I just about gave myself whiplash looking up! I told him "Man, you scared the s*** outta me!! After I told him, just junk, he strolled off like nothing ever happened. My heart was about to pound itself right out of my chest! Lookin' back, I kinda have to chuckle about it...:laughing7:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are in town without much in the way of things to hang up the headphone cord on then no problem BUT if you will be out in bushes, in and out of low trees then you might go up a notch on your purchase and get a wireless pair of headphones. All headphones will be sweat monsters in the summer unless you switch over to earbuds for summer use....................63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread