Jun 22, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
White's MX Sport,
White's MX5,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm debating on whether or not to start using headphones when detecting. I have a pair of studio headphones laying around (Audio Technica) that I was going to use. Since you can get a 3.5mm - 1/4" adapter for $5 on Amazon, figured why not give it a shot.

What's your experience using headphones vs not? The speaker on my MX5 is pretty loud, but it crosses my mind that I've possibly been missing deep signals. My only major concern using them is not being able to hear what's going on around me....guess that's what concealed carry is for :thumbsup:

HH

Upvote 0

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Headphones always as you can hear iffy tones so much better and cleans up tones to hear if it is a solid diggable target or tone is off a little. If you a dig everything then I guess it wouldn't matter.

OP
OP
KJP462

KJP462

Jun 22, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
White's MX Sport,
White's MX5,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Todd -- I dig pretty much everything other than iron signals.

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure if you are aware that some low iron/foil tones can be gold.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might want to use headphone that only cover one side. I think the brand was called sidewinders. Never used them.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Using headphones extends the life of your batteries. I use them 99% of the time. I have a cheap pair that does not cover my ears for the hot weather and areas where I need to be aware of my surroundings. I also have a pair of black widows.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to be headphones biggest fan.....then I realised that I mostly hunt alone in isolation in 35C (95F)and that my targets are mostly shallow. Since then Ive gone naked - I love it. No sweaty headphones....

I ran a F5 for a while and it was very chattery. Even when sitting aside while I dug a target...headphones made the experience a bit exhausting...

Apart from the reasons Loco stated headphones are great for privacy, not annoying the public and night hunting. They are also excellent for the hearing impaired. I have hearing loss in one ear so good quality headphones with individual volume control is a treat.

Depends on your hunting location I guess.

Chub

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Headphones all of the time. You can hear the machine ALOT better, especially the subtle deep whispers.

I initially didn't like them, but quickly saw the virtues of them.

I have heard other people, not me, complain endlessly about the dolts that don't use them. It is annoying to hear the other guy's machine... from what they told me. Good luck brother!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should always use headphones. Not only does it extend battery life, it is very easy to miss a target because of noise from wind, traffic, etc. Not only that, the sounds from your detector will draw unwanted attention. It's important enough to me that if I got on a site and found I didn't have my phones I would pack up and head back home to get them.

Evilpope

Apr 4, 2016
Griffith,In
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 350, bounty hunter lone star pro, whites trx pinpointer, Garrett ace 400, Garrett pro pointer 2, Garrett AT gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use head phones all the time but if no one else is around I'll take them off..really it's better to use them like my man said for the signals but really wear them so no busy bodies get nosy

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I honestly cannot recall a day since '80 that I didn't wear phones. 🎧

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headphones all the way for me.

The other plus to wearing them, is you can ignore the people talking to you all the time.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard "he can't hear you, he has headphones on". Hell I even wear them around the house, just to continue blocking out my wife!!

I have a friend that has the socket adapter, and he uses his iPhone head phones. If it's in a place or time when he wants to hear other sounds, he just leaves one earbud out.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headphones all the way -- for deeper targets as well as more target information... For instance: I can hear it when a zinc penny is corroded with my Garrett AT Gold using headphones. There are a TON of other subtle differences with items, but that should give you an idea. As for depth, I've had small/deep targets that only had a slight rise in threshold, something that could be easily missed without them.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Gray Ghost headphones.
They eliminate most of the ambient noise and I don't have kids following me around like the Pied Piper.

Last edited:

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
My preference is headphones also. Detectingsmiley.gif

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
My 2 cents, HEADPHONES! If you're not using them you are missing targets. Not only deep whisper targets but more importantly those that you just miss with your coil that just tickle the outer most field that coil puts out. By tickle I mean your coil comes just close enough to the target to lightly affect/change the threshold but not enough to give you target return "beep", this happens more than you'll realize if you're not using headphones. Most of the time where I hunt in fields/woods/ cellar holes it's hard to grid and without phones I know I'd miss some great targets. Im not comfortable without headphones but if I'm alone in the middle of nowhere or somewhere sketchy I'll just use one side on. This effect I speak of above is even more evident when in the lake or ocean. Happy Hunting!

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The difference between good detectorists and great detectorists lies in their ability to unearth things others “overlook”

Headphones reduce your ability to “overlook” whisper signals
Headphones drown out traffic noise
Headphones reduce the interruption from kiddos asking : “ Hey mister... whatch ya doin...?
Headphones reduce curious bystanders opening up a dialogue if you..” ever found anything of value”
Headphones mute the speaker so that it does not broadcast to the rest of the world:”This dude found something, go see what it is”

Don’t get me wrong I’m a friendly guy love to chat but nonsensical conversation keeps me from swinging my coil and I’m not interested in wasting my time with it.

Headphones keep your ears warm in the winter
Headphones save your batteries(as many members before mentioned before)

NOT ALL HEADPHONES ARE CREATED EQUAL Metal Detecting headphones are made to take a beating unlike the high fidelity phones made for you to enjoy music in the comfort of your recliner.

Now that being said I love to use ear buds with my Deus when I do t feel like taking my big boy headphones, th ynwork quite well in the summer when I don’t want to be sweaty.

I suggest that you locate a good site. Work out a 10x10 grid without your headphone then after you are done rework the same grid with a pair of headphones. I am willing to bet you dimes to doughnuts that you will hit at least another target that you missed when you detected with open speaker for one reason or another.

I have multiple pairs of headphones

Deus Headphones with Controls built in
Waterproof headphones for my ATP water hunting
Garrett Stock
Koss that came with my CTX 3030

However my favorite headphones are my SunRay pro Gold

F3B20D43-23C3-42E3-8A9E-C62707790C4B.jpeg

Cheers

1C448D15-D473-40AD-AACF-2384B0698AD7.jpeg

Sitcom Kids from the 60’s

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always use headphones. Have been since 1977. I use Grey Ghost Ultimates and in the hot summer where I need to hear my surroundings too, I use Grey Ghost Rattlers which only cover one ear. This way I can turn my detectors threshold way down so its barely audible and I can hear the slightest faint targets.
Gary from Oregon

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The use of headphones makes you feel "like one" with your detector. I never leave home without them.
luvsdux

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely headphones! Extends battery life on Detector. More power for detector!....
:icon_thumright:

I'm debating on whether or not to start using headphones when detecting. I have a pair of studio headphones laying around (Audio Technica) that I was going to use. Since you can get a 3.5mm - 1/4" adapter for $5 on Amazon, figured why not give it a shot.

What's your experience using headphones vs not? The speaker on my MX5 is pretty loud, but it crosses my mind that I've possibly been missing deep signals. My only major concern using them is not being able to hear what's going on around me....guess that's what concealed carry is for :thumbsup:

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread