Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m sure this neighborhood park is a virgin park. I’ve been trying to figure out a safe way to get in there. It’s surrounded by homes from the 1900-1940’s. I decided to try this route and if approached I’ll tell them I work for the city and I’m doing tests to put in a FREE pool for the summer. IMG_2195.JPG IMG_2196.JPG

Upvote 0

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lived and hunted in Atlanta for over 50 years and one lesson I learned was that it isn't worth the risk to hunt in or close to bad neighborhoods. It seems that the older the neighborhood, the rougher the crowd gets there. I know some sites in and around Atlanta that can and have produced fabulous finds, but also have produced some extreme casualties amongst the detecting community. With age and wisdom came the realization to keep it safe, be happy with clad and the occasional gold that comes from newer and safer areas. I have detecting war stories and the attendant scars, but in hindsight realize I was just very lucky. Even keeping it safe, be vigilant, as you will still be targeted by roaming predators.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably not alot of mders in Africa for this same reason. The savage tribes haven't changed in 400 years and their ghettos haven't either haha.

Its all down to demographics....there are very few drops (rings etc)...because they have nothing to drop....

The Wiki world IQ map is quite telling. Remember - average is just that- for every 100 there are above the average of 55 IQ there are 100 under.... I just tried to find it and see that it has disappeared?? Theres now a wiki commons page that just says 'below65'

Most parks in crappy parts of town tend to be infested with trash. At least thats been my experience...and those bottle caps that sing up near the silver range can drive you mad.

Chub

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many "bad" areas of town used to be "good" areas of town, until the economically depressed, government dependent type showed up and lowered the property values, raised the crime rate and basically ran all the good folk out of town. I've seen it happen time and time again in my 40 years down here. Good neighborhoods turned to total crap in a matter of a few years.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Early 90's I had a white Dodge, the old body style, like almost every city truck in the state. I put a cone in the bed and I could park anywhere! Back to the OP... I have hit a few very old parks in dangerous areas expecting virgin ground but finding the opposite. I think lots of people don't care or else clubs hunt them in my area. Went to a sketchy park the other day, found clad while a few locals smoked a giant blunt for about an hour then left. Good luck!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I often ponder going up to Detroit or the East Side of Cleveland to detect. I use the risk to reward rational in my thought process and come to the conclusion that no coin is worth my life, so unless I could find a few other armed MDers to go as a group, those areas will be considered OFF-LIMITS. I have hunted some seedier areas in smaller cities and find that the abandoned properties are so full of trash that they are almost impossible to detect. Maybe if I had a Bobcat scoop loader and was allowed to scrape off a few inches, it might be another story.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I often ponder going up to Detroit or the East Side of Cleveland to detect. I use the risk to reward rational in my thought process and come to the conclusion that no coin is worth my life, so unless I could find a few other armed MDers to go as a group, those areas will be considered OFF-LIMITS. I have hunted some seedier areas in smaller cities and find that the abandoned properties are so full of trash that they are almost impossible to detect. Maybe if I had a Bobcat scoop loader and was allowed to scrape off a few inches, it might be another story.

I can see the headline now...

"Armed hungry group of coin hunters descend into ghetto in search of money confronted by poor local gangs - News update at 10"

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any "questionable" areas should always be hunt in the very early mornings...

this avoids most creeps... UNLESS you are hunting parks in which vagrants sleep / hang out.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good admonitions about hunting the bad part of town. I hadn't thought about it much, but will definitely be more careful.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can see the headline now...

"Armed hungry group of coin hunters descend into ghetto in search of money confronted by poor local gangs - News update at 10"

In this day of fake news the headlines might be.

"White Treasure Hunters Invade to Steal Treasure from the Poor" They might even change the term White Treasure Hunters to "Trump Supporters".

lucky92

Nov 30, 2017
Jefferson City missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites classic sl, Garrett 350, mx sport, equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasp spray works better than mace, and if I'm not mistaken LA is a stand you're ground state. All else fails, barrow a strangers phone and call the police and report a shooting there, that should buy ya a little time ��

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasp spray works better than mace, and if I'm not mistaken LA is a stand you're ground state. All else fails, barrow a strangers phone and call the police and report a shooting there, that should buy ya a little time ��

NEVER LIE! Report a shooting ONLY if there is a shooting. Police does prioritize calls so if you “fake” a priority someone else’s life may be on the line because of it. ...and that would not be cool.

CA1A5E38-0D0C-473C-80B4-0F67FAD5ABBD.jpeg

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I carry wasp spray..goes 20 feet

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go crack of dawn early and don’t go alone, try to team up with someone who can help you, don’t rely too much on mace, I don’t know too much about your area but here you whip out a can of mace and you will be shot! Good luck!

I also have a XDS .45 in the truck, but I see what you’re saying.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably not alot of mders in Africa for this same reason. The savage tribes haven't changed in 400 years and their ghettos haven't either haha.

Yeah this is in the 9th ward all ghetto with a sprinkle of liberal. Lol

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, go early early - before the zombies wake up is the way to go.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can of mace doesn’t always work. I’ve emptied an entire can on someone and they just laughed at me. Also crack of dawn around here is when all the riff raff occurs because they hide in the shadows away from cops and that’s very hard to do during the daylight. It’s a hit and miss type of situation. You could go in the early morning hours and get mugged or it could be broad daylight. So sorry to say there’s really no good time. As metal detectorists we try to stay away from crowds but in bad parts of town you want to have numbers. Typically most suspects won’t steal from you when there is a group of people around you but in the rare case their on drugs it don’t matter if sheriff Joe is standing there either

They like shooting in crowds as well in New Orleans. I was born and raised there but live a hour away across Lake Ponchatrain Causeway Bridge with is the longest over a full body of water in America, 2nd in the world at 24 miles long. Too much water for the thugs to cross. IMG_2205.JPG

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Differently stand your ground state

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its all down to demographics....there are very few drops (rings etc)...because they have nothing to drop....

The Wiki world IQ map is quite telling. Remember - average is just that- for every 100 there are above the average of 55 IQ there are 100 under.... I just tried to find it and see that it has disappeared?? Theres now a wiki commons page that just says 'below65'

Most parks in crappy parts of town tend to be infested with trash. At least thats been my experience...and those bottle caps that sing up near the silver range can drive you mad.

Chub

I gotcha is was all white from 1910 to 1960’s. It’s the silver bug that’s calling me. I’ll square up no problem and stand my ground, but it’s a lot of problems that I might be asking for plus the Trump sticker on the truck doesn’t help. Hehe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread