MD injuries!!

Blkcloud

Apr 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tell you what.. I'm about ready to throw in the towel!!! Lol my lower back hurts so bad after about 15 minutes of swinging my machine I sometimes just lay down in the field.. well someone suggested a minelab pro swing vest.. waa laa.. my lower back quit hurting but now between my shoulder blades is a terrible burning pain.. off to the chiropractor.. sho nuff my rib has come in attached from my spine!! Hahaha... now what.. gotta go back for a few more trips to get that fixed!!

Upvote 0

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The Deus is ultralight... about 2.2 Lbs.

Hope you get to feeling better.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Things that have helped me. Elastic back brace, and Blue Emu spray.

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bowwinkles hit it right on the head. I have had my back broke twice and after about 30 minuets, I cant hardly stand up. I got me a back brace that has a firm pad in the back and it's wide. Makes a world of difference, No pain after hours of hunting. I think the key to mine is, it's firm in the back,unlike most of the just elastic back "wraps" and its wide, it fills the small of my back, unlike the elastic ones Iv'e tried that just roll up. The copper fit ones are useless. they just wrap around you and roll up. Look for something like movers use. I have a brace with suspenders and its amazing. Hope this help. Don't want to see you have to give up something you enjoy.
51HuYq4C-mL._SY355_.jpg

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you have a prior accident that may have detached the rib? Seems like it would have taken quite a shot to detach to do it.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brace came from Home Depot tool section and it also has straps (suspenders) and will not roll up.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry, it won't be long before we have exoskeletons to help us out. Until then look at a lighter detector with better balance.

halfstep

May 11, 2010
I broke my back and both ankles 18 years ago. My right ankle is fused with 11 screws and 2 plates. My left ankle has 2 screws. My back has a titanium cage and 4 screws with the L1 fused to the one above and one below. Plus I have one less rib on my left side. I have had my share of pain from metal detecting. What helps the back the most for me is to do some back exercises to strengthen and balance out the back muscles. Join a gym and do some basic chest, back, abs and leg exercises once or twice a week. Keeping the muscles strong helps to support the spine and will improve your metal detecting endurance.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to some organized digs and some folks were swinging AT PRO's with trash can lid sized coils. I couldn't handle that for two seconds. Others were swinging the real, real, real, REAL expensive Minelab machines, like $3k or better, the PI machines used for prospecting for gold. Heavy as M1a1 Abrams battle tanks.

I have to use a lightweight machine like a Tesoro or the Deus. Both perform very, very well for me. I'd have to give up the hobby if I had to swing a heavy machine. The heavy machine is going the way of the dinosaurs.

OP
OP
Blkcloud

Blkcloud

Apr 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you have a prior accident that may have detached the rib? Seems like it would have taken quite a shot to detach to do it.

No.. the chiro said the repeated swinging back and forth did it..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread