Hyping Detctors

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
What is hype? Basically its exaggerated claims made by manufactures to sell products. Hype works. It brings the buyers through the door. The link is for an advertisement for Whites DFX. You may remember it as “the detector that shows you whats in the ground before you dig it up.” It also claimed to pick up large objects 4 feet down. I own one and its my go to machine. A great machine even though I haven’t found anything 4 feet down. It does tell you whats in the ground. Its just more often wrong then right. But it does tell you.

https://www.diynetwork.com/videos/dfx-e-series-metal-detector-76370

Upvote 0

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good post, Escape. I believe it will actually obsolete all other forum posts.

OP
OP
Escape

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Insane!…..A DFX just sold on eBay for $857.00 plus shipping. It wasn’t even last minute bidding. Where are these buyers when I put stuff up for sale?

OP
OP
Escape

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Good post, Escape. I believe it will actually obsolete all other forum posts.
Yes> Like the Obsolete Man from the Twilight Zone
obsoleate.jpeg

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried to detect a tank 4 feet under dry, florida beach sand? I may very well be true. It's not "hype" if it really does it. If the reader interprets max ability to mean all objects at that depth, then its reader error, not false promotion.

But there are no shortage of companies who will flat out lie in advertising. Caveat Emptor

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Insane!…..A DFX just sold on eBay for $857.00 plus shipping. It wasn’t even last minute bidding. Where are these buyers when I put stuff up for sale?

P.T. Barnum said,
"There's a sucker born every minute."

OP
OP
Escape

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Have you tried to detect a tank 4 feet under dry, florida beach sand? I may very well be true. It's not "hype" if it really does it. If the reader interprets max ability to mean all objects at that depth, then its reader error, not false promotion.

But there are no shortage of companies who will flat out lie in advertising. Caveat Emptor

The video ilustrated the detector picking up a garbage can lid 4 feet down. Maybe it does. I don't know. I never dig that deep. Can most detectors pick up a garbage can lid at that depth? Don’t know. Maybe relic hunters would know better.

OP
OP
Escape

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I can’t see a newbie going out and bidding on a DFX. There not easy to learn. I think those bidders were familiar with the machine and they wanted it. Some people have money and once they decide they want something they don’t quit until they get it. Regardless of cost. Or else they will feel beaten. Same thing happened with the Tesoro Golden max a couple of years ago, They were paying $800.00 and more for them. That died down.

On reflection i was a newbie when i bought my DFX. Who knows...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Escape

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Gosh, Perhaps they seen the video i posted and went crazy bidding on it.

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it just me, or are there others who would be a little pissed after spending three hours to dig a four foot hole, only to find a trash can lid!! :tongue3:

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I`v dug 2 ' for a 15"x 16" old rusty plow share with an old analog Whites DI Pro 6000 20 years ago .
and i`m still tired !

OP
OP
Escape

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Is it just me, or are there others who would be a little pissed after spending three hours to dig a four foot hole, only to find a trash can lid!! :tongue3:
i
I think some people collect them.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I made the mistake of taking a Minelab GPX 5000 to the beach once. I quit after digging 36" for an old Hot Wheels car. :laughing7:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Terry! I didn’t know a detector could go so deep.

Yep. Just $4,000.00 (price has dropped $1,000.00 since 2012), and you can own the second best gold nugget detector in the world today.

Attachments

• j5.jpg
    j5.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 86

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once dug 30” down to discover vintage hubcap. It was a sweet find but frustrating as all hell on the pinpointer ..LOL

D547FD37-1E4E-4FAD-B7F9-401ED383CE34.jpeg

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Nokta site gets me everytime " The most powerful all round metal detector ever made!" , and that pic of the nokta velox one "depth advantage" showing an operating depth 3 -4 times the depth of the deus in the same animation.... but thats more stretching the truth than hype.
Good side of the recent hype is that it caused movement within the detecting market.....but yeah, it did get a little bitcoiny at the end.
Hype is generated by people WANTING to believe in Super detector 2000. ( like me ha ha)

Chub

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread