Would you stop detecting if you won the lottery?

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every day I pass a billboard advertisement for the lottery. Today the jackpot is somewhere around 400 million dollars. Odds are around 303 million to one that a person will win.
Lets put this into perspective, the odds of hitting back to back hole in ones on a golf course are only 19 million to one. Pretty good odds compared to the lottery.

Anyhow, we can all dream and in my dreams I have won the lottery and have more money then I know what to do with. For me, it means I get any detector I want and I get to hire a full time staff that does nothing but secure permissions. For those pesky people that don't want to give up a permission? Lawyers will be brought in and strong arm tactics will be utilized within the legal limits of the law.

So, if you won the lottery, what would you do? Would you continue to detect and if so how would your winnings affect your detecting style? Or, would you give up detecting for a leisure life that involves other hobbies instead?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More detectors to try and more exotic beaches to detect.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I would never stop, but I might hire someone to help me dig the effi and deep signals, and to pick up my scoop when I dropped it.:icon_thumleft:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess by the 5th page I should tell what my Daddy told me about "If".....

"If a frog had wings, it wouldn't bounce its' tail when it hopped"

Or:

"If a grasshopper carried a .45, wouldn't be any birds messing with it"

Such is life.....

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok...if i win tonight, im gonna go to McDonalds and get a big breakfast! Hey, maybe i will buy the McDonalds and hire a world class chef to run the place!

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
McFiletMignon. 😋😋😋

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
I would modify my wheelchair with tank tracks, and a long arm automatic detector or two. Plus a backhoe for that deep stuff.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd hunt the Roswell UFO crash site. Maybe make the banner with an alien spacecraft part?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Me win the lottery? Got to play to win. Maybe I'll get out today and get a ticket.....

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I think I responded to this thread already but I’ll say something else. Treasure hunting is just like playing the lottery...it’s an addiction like gambling always trying to hit a big one, and when you do hit a good one it is like winning a lotto...but would I quit??...no way!!,, I would just buy more detectors, buy an RV and travel all over to different beaches and live off the interest and gold finds.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt strictly for fun. Most of the old coins that I look for are corroded and worthless, but they're treasure to me. I'll be detecting wether I win the lottery or not.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
No. I would just buy some islands, turn them into resorts, then metal detect the beaches when the tourists went to bed.

renantagum30

Nov 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would not stop. i will give treasure hunting one last chance. ill set aside 10% of the won money from lottery as my seed capital for treasure hunting. the rest of the 90% shall be set aside for various things.

but i will not be just be contented with buying metal detectors.

thus, for all those who would get lucky in winning the lottery, dont just be contented with buying metal detectors. you should buy a bigger drilling machine that is a crawler mounted like a tank so you can test detected area by drilling it . in that way, you will get the result immediately and get a gold sample.

we were successful in getting a gold sample, only that the owner or some members of the landowner would get greedy, and tell us to leave.

so get an equipment, drill and drill and get a gold sample.

if i hit the lotto, i will buy a :
1. geophysical equipments
2. buy the land i have drilled before for gold samples ( they dont know how to get it).
3. buy a foremost dr 40 or dr 24 super big drilling machine (drill and case up to 40 inches steel casing) with a diamond coring assembly to get the samples immediately
4. buy a 100 hectare land for organic vegetable farming and raise livestock
5. set up a foundation and ran it. i dont trust the people that ran it. i should know the people personally who will run the foundation.
6. help the community get a community deepwell for them to have an independent and community water source.
7. encourage all the jobless families to engage in farming, finance them, and these farmers should sell their farm produce to a marketing distribution company that i will set up , so these farmers can sell their produce at more than farm gate price. basically, these farmers can sell their produce at a higher gate price because by selling their produce direct to a distribution company that will ran at cost plus a little margin for operational expenses, it eliminates all the middle man , helping the farmer get a better price for their produce. the loan they have obtained will be deducted from their sales.

8. buy a big yatch, fish and fish, and enjoy life.
9. set up a community church in various places in the community i have helped with their livelihood. end time is coming. i would love to give a sermon even though im not a priest. but i would love to spread the teachings of Jesus.

Last edited:

renantagum30

Nov 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh. i have made a bet with the national lottery at the US. made a 20us dollar bet at 2dollars a piece. my brother who is in the US made a bet for me, and i paid him before he buys a ticket so i will own the ticket exclusively.

i have heard the lottery pot is already at 1.6 billion USD.

even mayweather purchased tickets good for 2,000 usd . mine is only 20 dollars. hehehe. but im not keeping my hopes high. its a one in 320 million lottery chance.

renantagum30

Nov 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my brothers and sisters keep on getting high hopes to win the lottery someday, but they dont purchase tickets.

wanting to win, but never have the will to risk in buying the tickets.

Arizona Jeff

Jan 15, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck no, I'd buy an Earthroamer, some patented gold claims, a ghost town or two and dig like a gopher on crack.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread