Permissions, what do you look for

Oldhead

Mar 21, 2018
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tomorrow I head to my dads to detect for the first time. I have one permission set up with my boss on a house he owns. I have been trying to research the revolutionary war. Most of it seems to have happened in central and north Jersey. I am fairly close to two of the Iron producing Furnaces of that time, Batsto and Weymounth,but they are Historical sites owned by the state.
Batsto I can get into a farm field about a mile or so away, not sure if it would be worth it. I was checking out regulations on a public park near me but the township has rules in place for the whole town that you can not dig in any parks.
So my question is, what do you look for besides the obvious old rev or civil site? Just maybe a house or farm built from back in that era? I'm not finding a whole lot in the way of research.

Upvote 0

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look at house foundations. If stone with cement, figure 1930-1960. If brick, 1880-1920. If field stone, it could be 1700-1900. Type of house on top of the foundation may give more info, i.e. colonial, federal, etc. Some of the older houses have placards on them, i.e. established 1845, etc. with possibly the builder or resident of the day. Look up those people if possible and what they did for a living. Any info you can find may help.

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My best research has come from two places: Library and my county clerk or PVA

Library: You can literally spend years reading and learning about the war in your area. I work near one, and go on my lunch break to look up maps on the civil war.

County Clerk or PVA: this office keeps records since the town ship was founded. Every city has one. The records sometimes hand drawn back in the 17-1800’s will tell you where old homes were. These are called PlatsCopy these overlay one google maps, knock on the doors to get permission and thank me later! :)
They will look like this.
IMG_0093.JPG

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting