ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Excel is a little less than a year old and it started acting funny, so I sent it in for repairs. Detector Center was awesome, they replaced the PCB. While the machine was in for warranty repairs, I asked them to upgrade my headphones to Grey Ghost Amphibians. Which they did without any questions. The whole process to 8 days, door to door.

So here is what I need help with......Now that it is back, I am getting very little volume. I have turned the volume on the machine to max and the same on the headphones. I can barely hear anything. Sensitivity has been tried at different levels, discrimination on and off. Everything I can think of. Same results. No volume at all.

Does anybody have any suggestions for a fix (other than calling Detector Center on Monday)? I would love to hunt this weekend, but can't if I can't hear any signals.

Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

UncleTom

Jun 3, 2006
SEABROOK TEXAS
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I and II, CTX-3030, Equinox 600, X-terra 70,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found the Gray Ghost amphibians to have very low volume, The one's I bought for my CTX didn't get it for me!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 4 excals all with the GG Amphibians headphones on them and all 4 have loud volume. Your sure they are amphibians? It could be several issues, a cold solder joint, broken trace, headphones leak causing corrosion in master muff, bad threshold pot.

Is it threshold you do not hear or low response to targets? Do you have volume turned to mac?

OP
OP
L

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 4 excals all with the GG Amphibians headphones on them and all 4 have loud volume. Your sure they are amphibians? It could be several issues, a cold solder joint, broken trace, headphones leak causing corrosion in master muff, bad threshold pot.

Is it threshold you do not hear or low response to targets? Do you have volume turned to mac?

T_H,
The headphones have Amphibian printed on them. They have never been in the water, I just got them back from being installed less than 24 hours ago, so probably not a leak. When I turn the machine on, I have to turn the volume (on both, the machine and headphones) to max just to hear anything. Even then, the sound is so low, outside noises make it hard to hear even the threshold hum or a return from waving the coil over any metal.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does turning the volume knobs on both units (independently) change the volume? What about the threshold control? What does that do to the volume?

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
T_H,
The headphones have Amphibian printed on them. They have never been in the water, I just got them back from being installed less than 24 hours ago, so probably not a leak. When I turn the machine on, I have to turn the volume (on both, the machine and headphones) to max just to hear anything. Even then, the sound is so low, outside noises make it hard to hear even the threshold hum or a return from waving the coil over any metal.

That is not right, could have a bad volume pot, broken trace or cold solder joint. Need to send it back to them.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really glad to hear that the original repairs and return
to you was done in a reasonable amount of time. Not happy to hear about the volume problems. Were the GG headphones fully operational prior to having them adapted to your Excalibur?

OP
OP
L

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ATW,
They are brand new CTX 3030 GG Amphibians purchased from them while my warranty repairs were being done.

OP
OP
L

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does turning the volume knobs on both units (independently) change the volume? What about the threshold control? What does that do to the volume?

Cuda,
Maxing out both volume control knobs is the only way I can hear anything at all. Threshold control max'd in order to even hear a slight hum. Far less threshold than I would hunt with.

OP
OP
L

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is not right, could have a bad volume pot, broken trace or cold solder joint. Need to send it back to them.

T_H,
Called them today. They agree with you and are sending me a FEDEX label to return them with.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
T_H,
Called them today. They agree with you and are sending me a FEDEX label to return them with.

Glad to hear! Good luck hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread