Beretta M-1934
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Beretta M-1934

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2017
    The Old North State
    Equinox 600 Tesoro Cutlass Bounty Hunter Tracker II
    866 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Beretta M-1934

While not a true Todayís Find, I think it is interesting enough to post.

This story starts 55 years ago when my cousin and I buried an ammo can in his back yard. The can contained, among other things, a stuffed monkey named Zippy, a model airplane and a 45 rpm record. All our relatives living in our home town have passed away and we are working toward selling our respective home places.

We got together over Christmas and started talking about childhood memories and, naturally, the topic of Zippy came up. We decided that I should take my metal detector and try to find the can containing Zippy. The search was on. Alas, no Zippy. I figure that the ammo can has probably rusted away and Jeff (cousin) thinks we buried it pretty deep (2 feet or so). If that is the case, my old Bounty Hunter Tracker II will never see it.

Hereís the interesting part. While sweeping the yard I got a strong signal. Since I did not have a pinpointer at the time, I used my probe to gently poke around the area and soon got a solid hit. I dug down about 2 inches and was surprised to find a Beretta pistol. The hammer was back an the safety was on. It was extremely rusted.

For safety reasons and because of the possibility of the gun having been used in a crime, I called the police. They came and, after much discussion, took the pistol for investigation.

Jeff and I started talking about the gun and, with his sisterís input, we believe the pistol was a war souvenir brought home from Italy by my uncle Rocky. We are waiting for the police to conclude their investigation and return the pistol to the family.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4824.JPG 
Views:	214 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	1575804

us
    Coin licker

Jun 2013
    New Jersey
    Minelab Excalibur II XP Deus Garrett pro pointer XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
    11014 times
    That's very interesting that the hammer was back. I'd love to hear what the police think? Cool find, that looks like a nice pistol, I hope the police give it back to you.
    I love this hobby so much, now I'm a coin licker!

us
    Dec 2007
    CT
    Whites MXT, DetectorPro HH Underwater
    1325 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I hope you got a receipt for it, or you will never see it again.
    Oldest Coin Finds to Date
    1737-1760 KGII Hibernia Half Cent ('10)
    1787 Fugio Large Cent ('15)
    1869 Two Cent ('09)
    1867-1883 Variety I Sheild Nickel ('09)
    1900 Barber Dime ('13)
    1929 Standing Liberty Quarter ('17)
    1944 Walking Liberty Half Dollar ('09)

us
    Jul 2017
    The Old North State
    866 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    I hope you got a receipt for it, or you will never see it again.
    Got a receipt and have been tracking it through the system. I’ve already talked with a friend who is a judge about writing a petition for return of property following the investigation.
    TooManyHobbies likes this.

us
    Jan 2013
    SouthwestVirginia
    1017 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Hey I had that stuffed monkey named Zippy as a kid! He has really big ears and says "Zippy" on his shirt. lol I wasn't around that time though 55 yrs ago, mine was from the late 70's. I guess Zippy has been around a while. Interesting find with the Beretta though!

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    32659 times
    thread moved to Metal Detecting, please remember "Today's Finds" are for today's finds or very, very recent finds.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    13574 times
    Metal Detecting
    In NC you must have a permit to purchase but not own a handgun.

It will be interesting to see if this ever comes back to you.

Good luck!
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    8685 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Looks like you'll need a better detector to find Zippy...
    ​Avitech Associate

us
    Jul 2017
    The Old North State
    866 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    Looks like you'll need a better detector to find Zippy...

Saviní up for a new one next month. Still fighting with myself between AT Pro and Equinox 600.

us
    Jul 2017
    The Old North State
    866 times
    The original target.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zippy.jpeg 
Views:	131 
Size:	953.1 KB 
ID:	1575998
    GB1 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    8685 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringtyer View Post
    Savin’ up for a new one next month. Still fighting with myself between AT Pro and Equinox 600.
    What do you think is the advantage of an AT Pro over the Equinox? I can't think of one.
    LawrencetheMDer likes this.
    ​Avitech Associate

us
    Jul 2017
    The Old North State
    866 times
    The only advantage I can see is longevity on the market. I’m also reading about frequency affect on target acquisition and ID and am questioning the benefit of the lower frequencies offered by the Eq. My wife insists that I research too much and should pick a machine and get busy finding her some jewelry.
    LawrencetheMDer likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    8685 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Lower frequencies are better for depth and high conductors (copper, silver) The Garrett GTI 2500, White's Coinmaster, and Fisher F75 (and others) have been around even longer, but, that doesn't make them a better machine. Nothing "wrong" with them, they're just a bit dated and are being out-performed by the competition. If you do any ocean hunting at all, forget the AT Pro.
    ​Avitech Associate

us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 w 11" and 15" coils, Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35, Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil
    1844 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    AT Pro is a bit less expensive than the NOX600 and the AT Pro has been around and proven for 20+years or so. It is a solid machine.
    The NOX 600 is more versatile and is good w salt water. And multifrequency is better than VLF for target detection, depth and noise reduction.
    against the wind likes this.
    Metal Detecting Goal in Life is to Find Wife a 2ct Diamond Ring (so she'll be quiet about all my metal detecting).

us
    Jun 2017
    Oregon
    Equinox 600. Garrett ProPointer.
    156 times
    Metal Detecting
    Lawrence, the At Pro has only been around since 2011ish.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links