Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rain finally abated enough for me to get out and start learning my EQ-600 yesterday. This machine is a magnitude jump from my Bounty Hunter T-II! I went to the tot lot in a local park where there are two sand lots for digging and building castles. The ground was soaked and had standing water. I played with all the modes on the machine.

I sniffed around for a while and found a few coins (first find was a 2016 zinc penny @ 7” deep) and a couple of metal beach toys. I have to admit that, while I like my new machine, there is much to learn about using it specifically and the hobby in general.

I have a question about large, unavoidable metal objects and how to work around them. The park I was working has benches with galvanized steel pedestals set on underground steel supports. I suspect those are good search locations. How, if at all, do I work around such locations? Same question for working around aluminum bleachers.

Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reducing the sensitivity may get you a little closer or you may have to wait until they make a sniper coil for the machine.

OP
OP
S

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These things are not something that can be moved. I'm talking about benches concreted into the ground and aluminum bleachers that would take two strong men to move.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can't remove the benches or bleachers, then just sit down, take a deep breath and have a good laugh. These guys are messing with you man.
No matter what machine you use, you can't get too close to metal structures, unless you use your Bounty Hunter. lol

OP
OP
S

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can't remove the benches or bleachers, then just sit down, take a deep breath and have a good laugh. These guys are messing with you man.
No matter what machine you use, you can't get too close to metal structures, unless you use your Bounty Hunter. lol

I suspect the Bounty Hunter comment was meant as a joke but, interestingly enough, I can get closer to these structures with my BH than with my EQ. I’m tempted to get my old Compass Magnum 420 fixed to see what it could do.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a good quality pin pointer around the permanent metal objects.

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
The usual work around is to use a small, sniper style coil, which is much less sensitive to metal footings.
Yeah, I know. That's about as useful as advising you to move them. Doubtful if Minelab has any sniper coils on the market yet.
I always found the tot lots useful, as they are easy to dig, making it easy to dig every signal and learn your detector.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Smaller coils and desensitized detectors would be my choice.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But seriously, the only thing you could do is use a pinpointer. I HAVE moved large metal objects including some small bleachers in the past. Used to play softball and we had to move some of the small ones in the past. I had help doing it.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a stock 11 inch coil on my F75 and can get within 6 inches of large metal. Now it will sound off two feet away. But if you swing slow you may catch a double bleep or hear a high tone mixed in which would be the signal you are looking for to dig with a pin pointer. As for bleachers, your gonna need a sniper coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread