PROBABLY BEEN ASKED A MILLION TIMES! BUT WHICH ONE REALLY?

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, What metal detector is good for beaches and salt water as well as land away from the beaches that is water proof?

I read on the AT Pro, and a few others but I am really not wanting to spend over $1,000 just for a detector. I know many people here have their preferences, but what is your experiences and which ones do you use and prefer and why?

Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So THM you've been a member since 2008 and yet you have to ask this question? Even though I am not in the market for a new machine, I read many of the brands forums as well as the General and metal detecting forums. The answer is there, you only need to read a little to figure it out. Good Luck

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your not wanting to go over a $1000 I would go with a new Equinox or a used excal.

OP
OP
TheHarleyMan2

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So THM you've been a member since 2008 and yet you have to ask this question? Even though I am not in the market for a new machine, I read many of the brands forums as well as the General and metal detecting forums. The answer is there, you only need to read a little to figure it out. Good Luck

I hadn't been on in a few years, due to Army, life, and everything in general. I have a Garrett GTI 2500. I had not brought that to the beach to check it out, I hadn't used it much either. I just recently been reading on here, and members use different ones, just wanted info on others experiences and the ones they use.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From all the rave concerning the Minelab Equinox series you should look into them, these are new, and all the rave from what I read. Just know you will have a waiting period if you choose the model 800 vs the 600.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I’d say in your price bracket and needing it to be waterproof and able to do saltwater with mineralized beaches,
my suggestion is to look into the new Minelab Equinox 600 or 800.
The 800 has more to offer over the 600 model as far as features but either one should do you well.
Good luck!

Pacific_Searcher

Sep 30, 2016
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Equinox 600 and keep the rest of the $1000 in your pocket.

OP
OP
TheHarleyMan2

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys!

I like the idea of the 800 to switch to gold nugget mode to find gold, I read that the 600 can do the same thing just have to push the button a few more times, as the 800 has the lazy button and push once. I just looked on KELLCO's site and both are out of stock and no ship date!

Colonial also has them both out of stock but offer a 15% military discount which is always good!

Guess I will keep looking on who has them in stock!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Equinox 600 and keep the rest of the $1000 in your pocket.

My opinion would be the opposite. Get the 800. The extra features are more than worth the extra money.

Pacific_Searcher

Sep 30, 2016
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with cudamark as well if you can find a 800 for retail and will use the additional features it is absolutely worth the extra $249 imho.

johnwon2

Jun 21, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark & Equinox-800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks guys!

I like the idea of the 800 to switch to gold nugget mode to find gold, I read that the 600 can do the same thing just have to push the button a few more times, as the 800 has the lazy button and push once. I just looked on KELLCO's site and both are out of stock and no ship date!

Colonial also has them both out of stock but offer a 15% military discount which is always good!

Guess I will keep looking on who has them in stock!

You probably won't find anyone with an 800 in stock on their site. Reach out to the sponsors directly if you want and if none have them like I ran into, go to Minelab's site and call all of the little dealers on there until you find one. I lucked out and had one shipped to me almost immediately. With that being said, I know the store that I bought it from doesn't have any more in stock right now.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They auctioned off an 800 at the treasure hunters cook out last weekend. I could not believe it when it started at 750 and no one bidded immediately so I raised my hand. After 3 or 4 times I was outbid. Sold for 950. At least it was for a good cause.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either one, just remember waterproof headphones are extra. They are just becoming available.

SteveJJ

May 18, 2015
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher F75 (for sale)
Fisher Gold Bug 2
White's TDI SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you live near me, do not get an equinox! I want to be able to find stuff too. Maybe buy my barely used f75!

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Equinox 800 is the better deal. The WM08 is like $259 and the wireless headphones are $139.. The 800 is $899 and the 600 is $650.. The 800 has the gold feature and the 600 does not.

You get wired headphones with the 600 buy wireless work well with it but that's going to cost $139 for wireless headphones from Minelab..

Best detectors out of the box I have ever used.. I was happy the 1st 30 minutes. I just cashed in a months worth of clad at coinstar and got $172 and change

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since no one has mentioned other machines, Take a look at the Makro Multi Kruzer. Its water proof, has multiple frequencies to choose from, has a beach mode for salt water, comes with Wireless headphones, Can be updated and is EXTREEEMLY Well balanced meaning you can swing all day without killing your arm. It is also a beast with target separation and is very affordable and built sturdy. At 750.00 its something to consider. I have looked at the Kruzer and Equinox and have decided the Kruzer is the better deal.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Multi Kruzer has multiple frequencies (3), but, you can only use one at at a time. The Equinox uses 5 at one time or each individually in the 800 or 3 in the 600. Full multi IQ will make a difference at a salt water beach. The Nox's are lighter too.....under 3lbs.

OP
OP
TheHarleyMan2

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I flipped the bill on KELLYCO on the Equinox 800. :icon_thumleft: With the carry bag, digger knife, and 3 pocket pouch and some framed replica Escudo.
I also get a 15% military discount. :headbang:

Now I have to wait and see how long it takes to get to me! :dontknow::dontknow:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ordered a EQ600 Monday (will arrive this Thursday) from Bedford detectors, they offer free shipping and with my 15% military discount, Total was $551.00 to my front door! This is an incredible value. I'll be out swinging in less then two days!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread