Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Anyone ever Lost a Piece of your Equipment while Detecting?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Detectorist

Apr 2018
    Iberville Parish, Louisiana
    Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max / Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
    91 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by AARC View Post
    Yep... my pinpointer... TP Vibra Probe 580.

Went to grab it... and it was gone... and I had a lanyard.

I scoured and scoured... never to be found again.

Bothers me still...

I LOVE finding things.

And HATE losing them.
    Yup.. I know that feeling for dang sure..
    AARC likes this.

us
    Detectorist

Apr 2018
    91 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SittingElf View Post
    I took off my glasses one time while hunting in a very leafy, tree field. At least two inches of leaves on the ground. I was inspecting a find, and then moved on to a couple more locations before realizing I was missing my glasses. Aghhh! Started searching, trying to remember where I had dug all the plugs. 40 minutes of swinging my Equinox 600 and BINGO...there were my glasses completely invisible under a bunch of leaves. Damn near stepped on them!
    Lucky! ($450 glasses!)
    When i cant find my cheaters/sunglasses, they are usually on top my head or hat and i realize after a massive fruitless search of the area... lol
    RustyGold and releventchair like this.

us
    Detectorist

Apr 2018
    91 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Loco-Digger View Post
    My 1st lost item was an original black Garret Pro-Pointer at dusk in the woods. It took me 45 minutes of back tracking to locate it. The very next day I bought a hot pink roll of duct tape and keep a nice wrap on it so it is easier to find.

My 2nd almost lost was my F75LTD that was just returned from the DST upgrade back in 2015. I took a Friday afternoon off from work and hit a few sites in early spring. The last site was at the local football field. When I pulled in the parking lot I noticed about 20 other cars and figured some local high school athletes were doing weight training. I also saw a half full Gatorade bottle in the parking lot near where I parked. I hunted for about 45 minutes and noticed it was almost dinner time. I leaned my detector up on the passenger side of the vehicle (the same side where that Gatorade bottle was). I took off all my gear, shut the back of the van, walked to the drivers door and got in. I started the van and backed out but heard a sound of me running something over. I figured it was that Gatorade bottle. I drove 2 miles home and ate dinner. After dinner I wanted to clean my detecting gear. I opened the back of the van and noticed my F75LTD was not in the van. I had a panic attack since that was $1000 machine back then. I hauled @ss back to the football field. All 20 cars were gone, but my detector was still laying in the parking lot. I inspected it and noticed the only damage was to the battery compartment. I count my blessings I live in a small town full of honest people.

My 1st time hunting in NY with the "B@astards of the Bramble" my $8 lowes shovel fell off my hook while I was roaming through the woods detecting. Not an issue, I had a spare in the van. I never did find that shovel.

Last summer I was hunting in Norwalk Ohio, and really intended on detecting at the a park down town and then the fair grounds. After hunting the park I drove to the fair grounds and noticed they had an event going on so I headed back into town to a small park I passed. This is the only park where I did not get a single signal, not even in the tot lot. Must be a local guy who keeps this park cleaned out of targets. I started with the tot lot and knew I did not need my Lesche shovel so I stuck it in the ground. After not getting one hit in the wood chips I did some test grids in the rest of the park. Not getting any signal was odd. I walked back to the van, put all my gear in the back and headed to a drive through carry out for a cold drink and a snack. The drive-thru is close to the old football field so I headed there. When I was getting geared up I noticed my Lesche shovel missing. I jumped in the van and sped back to the park, and had only been gone for 15 minutes. My shovel was missing. I drove the neighborhood hoping to see some kit riding a bike or walking with my shovel. I can only figure that the local MDer must live in one of the houses that are next to the park and he/she was probably watching me hunt. As soon as I left they probably came out and grabbed my shovel. I love the Lesche shovel and ordered a replacement as soon as I got home that day.

Lessons learned:

1. If your going to lean your detector up against your vehicle, make sure it's on the driver's side.

2. Never take a black pin pointer into the woods without a strip of highly visible colored duct tape.

3. Inventory your gear before you leave a site.

4. Always take time to check the tightness of your coil hardware before you ground grab.
    Hard Lessons well learned....
    The Pucker Factor must have been HIGH, when you realized what the Crunch Sound must have actually been...
    Loco-Digger likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2015
    Illinois
    Equinox 600 Garrett Carrot Nokta Waterproof Pinpointer Vibra-tector 730 Lesche 18" and 30" shovel's 4 fried chickens and a coke. And some dry white toast.
    2730 times
    Quote Originally Posted by buck8point View Post
    Dang... that sux, have you replaced it?
    Oh absolutely. And as Loco suggest's, I do inventory now
    Loco-Digger and buck8point like this.
    "See your doctor if your detector has a detection for more then four hours!"

Charter Member
    us
    Gare or Gary

Dec 2012
    Canton Ohio Area
    338 times
    Gold boy go back and Magnet fish it out. It will attract to the battery !!!
    RustyGold and dirtdigginfool like this.
    Only TWO things in the world that spook my horses THINGS THAT MOVE and THINGS THAT DON'T MOVE !!!

Charter Member
    us
    Gare or Gary

Dec 2012
    Canton Ohio Area
    338 times
    Great POST Loco !!!
    Loco-Digger and can_slaw like this.
    Only TWO things in the world that spook my horses THINGS THAT MOVE and THINGS THAT DON'T MOVE !!!

Sep 2012
    N.E. Texas
    Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
    318 times
    My Wilcox digger. A friend and I go several times a year to a local ranch where we divide our time between detecting and artifact hunting. Weeks after the last trip, the ranch manager, a good guy and good friend, noticed it lying somewhere in all those acres. I had not yet even noticed it missing. It would have been a needle-in-a-haystack.
    buck8point likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2014
    NM
    Equinox 800 Raptor c-31 digger 31" Lesche Sampson Periscope Probe.
    1348 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    In a weeks time I managed to lose a Raptor C-31 digger, left in a park ($65) a Smith and Wesson knife ($25), lost in a field and a pair of sunglasses. Up until that time I had never lost an item in over 25 years of hunting.

us
    Sep 2012
    D'Iberville MS
    E-Trac Equinox 800 Equinox 600
    716 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Lost my Black Pro Pointer in a woods and had no idea where to look because I had been in the woods for over 3 hours and had been successful. I decided to take a shortcut back to my truck when I noticed the pointer was gone. I knew it had to be close to where I quit. I tried to go back to the place I had quit and didn't know where it was after about 20 minutes or so and headed back to my truck pizzed. I stopped next a tree to take a pee and looked down and I was peeing on the pointer. Was happy and mad at the same time but at least I found it.

I don't detect for the stuff I find, I detect for the stuff I haven't found.

If I didn't find it I hope you did.

us
    Detectorist

Apr 2018
    91 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Normsel View Post
    Lost my Black Pro Pointer in a woods and had no idea where to look because I had been in the woods for over 3 hours and had been successful. I decided to take a shortcut back to my truck when I noticed the pointer was gone. I knew it had to be close to where I quit. I tried to go back to the place I had quit and didn't know where it was after about 20 minutes or so and headed back to my truck pizzed. I stopped next a tree to take a pee and looked down and I was peeing on the pointer. Was happy and mad at the same time but at least I found it.
    Thats pretty Funny... lol Glad you found it..

us
    May 2014
    Wilmington NC
    Nox 600; CTX; Fisher CZ21; Minelab Excalibur II; White's Surf PI DF; 920i Stealth Scoop
    448 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    I haven't - But the two biggest things I have seen people lose:

CTX: Guy left it at the park. Came back and it was gone. It was brand new too.
    Etrac: Multiple broke due to a fall on the wetsand right into the water.
    buck8point likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800
    4469 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    What about this simple device attached to the tools?
    Tile Mate - Key Finder. Phone Finder. Anything Finder - 1 Pack less than $15 at amazon.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	153C4D3F-98C0-4484-BEEA-C467C59555AE.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	1586555

us
    Been there...Dug that

Mar 2015
    Northern Illinois
    MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS, White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
    939 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan(NM) View Post
    In a weeks time I managed to lose a Raptor C-31 digger, left in a park ($65) a Smith and Wesson knife ($25), lost in a field and a pair of sunglasses. Up until that time I had never lost an item in over 25 years of hunting.
    I'm gonna start following Dan around. 😁
    buck8point and Loco-Digger like this.
    "There's GOLD in them thar hills! Well...at least a coupla nice Mercs."

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2014
    NM
    Equinox 800 Raptor c-31 digger 31" Lesche Sampson Periscope Probe.
    1348 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogre1190 View Post
    I'm gonna start following Dan around. ��
    Lol.... I replaced all my expensive gear with cheap Chinese shite just in case I have another week like that :-)
    buck8point likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    12479 times
    The most ambitious/ distance days seem too generate losses.
    Left a lake shore. Climbed serious long hill grade , ( same hill climb that saw headphone wires chewed up in wheelchair spokes) crossed sportsfield detected earlier over to b. ball court. Got a good signal ,reached for Leche.........

Returned to top of hill across field and could see the tiny looking digger far below. About the third time it has been recovered ,so far.

Backtracked all over a park looking for my cheaters/ glasses. How could I not find them?
    Days later they turned up between the truck seat and console? What the heck.
    Last edited by releventchair; May 06, 2018 at 10:10 AM.
    Loco-Digger and buck8point like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links