Anyone ever Lost a Piece of your Equipment while Detecting?

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering if anyone else has ever had the misfortune of loosing any of their kit while out detecting?

Sad to say I managed to loose a brand new Garrett Pro Pointer AT this week that was not even a week out of the box...
I was sick to my stomach, because i apparently dropped it on the way back due to carrying my AT Max over my shoulder, and it most likely slipped out of the holster and fell behind me on my way home un noticed.
I was distracted by another find when I got home and put my detector away and never noticed it was not in its holster till 2 days later, by then it was long gone...

After exhaustive searching and realizing it was picked up by some luck passer by, i decided to bite the bullet and order another one from the place i bought it from the week before. When I went to the site, a chat box popped up with an attendant asking to help make a purchase, now i usually just ignore those altogether, but in my state of frustration, i explained what happened to the guy, and to my surprise he said, hold on, lemme find you a coupon code for a new one at my cost. That decent gesture not only saved me about 50 bucks off retail of a new one, it also renewed my faith in people, and the brotherhood of camaraderie that fellow detectorists share...

Not only will I be even more anal retentive with my equipment now, but im gonna put my name on everything as well, after a hard lesson learned.
So with all that being said, Thanks to the efforts of a great online vendor, ill be back in the dirt early next week, and hopefully a lot more lucky in the future.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
buck8point

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I walked away from a brand new Garrett Pro pointer at an 1800's horse racing track. Must have been the last hole of the day as I didn't realize it until I got home to check all my gear. Went back the next day and never found it. Now I'm using a Garrett "Carrot" pin pointer.........and it has a lanyard on it. Lifes lessons can be expensive.....

Sad to say I know EXACTLY how bad that sux...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've lost Pieces of equipment Temporarily & Permanently

I've also found Pieces of equipment.

I've lost one of these & no matter How I tried, couldn't Find it again. Too much Leave Cover

21Yf2ByL40HL.jpg

I've lost My Black Garrett Probe Temporarily .
twice for so long, I finally bought bright colored Duck Tape,
& wrapped it. I still Let it Lay on Occasion, But it sticks out like a Sore thumb Now.
DSCF0001.JPG

and diggers Temporarily.
by leaving them lay.
most of the time I just need to retrace to my last dig.

I've found a old Whites Detector stand at an old burned down home site.
and a scoop at an old former Church site.

the stand as just laying in the woods on the edge of the property.
they apparently picked up the detector and didn't notice it wasn't still connected.

the scoop for some reason was stabbed into a tree and just sticking there.
perhaps they sat down for a rest. then forgot it on their way out.

Still waiting to Find a CTX , Excalibur, or Sovereign laying in the woods.

Though there was a Rumor A Brand New Sovereign (at the time 2001 or 2002)
was accidentally dropped in this hole at a water fall

new.jpg

Last edited:

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a used on ear set of phones. Next day i cleaned my truck out and haven't seen them since. Probably laid them on the bumper and drove off! Also haven't seen my Garrett carrot since i showed my wife she could use it to find wall studs, 3 months ago and still missing.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like 440 paracord

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny thing. For the last two weeks I've been looking for my Garrett carrott and my Lesche digger. They both returned to me today like a pair of well trained bird dogs. My digging buddy had the Lesche in his bag, and didn't know it. We hadn't dug in about 6 weeks together, and the carrot was left in the grass at a spot I detect and when we went back today, the owners had it waiting for me.

MiTreasureHunter

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2018
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, XP Deus, AT-Pro, F2, Minelab Equinox 800 on order..
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One night after metal detecting on the beach I went to my truck to leave. I leaned my very nice sand scoop up against the side of my truck while I took off my finds pouch and put my detector inside. Somehow I forgot about the scoop AND missed it when I backed out of the parking space. I did not realize it missing until the next day and of course it was lone gone when I returned. I put a reward on Craigslist but never got a response. It stinks because it was a very nice heavy duty scoop that is irreplaceable as the fabricator of these scoops passed away.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have lost and recovered both a screw drive probe and my pin pointer.

Pin pointer was on the beach at night, I ran back to my last known location, there it was crying in the sand! Whew!

Probe was at a park, stuck it in the ground while recovering a target then meandered on to the next quite a distance away. Reached for it...no probe. I tried retracing my steps, finally gave up, went on detecting and about the second dig after losing my probe, I looked down and there it was stuck in the ground next to my foot....did I mention I meander...a lot?
It called me "stupid" all the way home!

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
hey i meander a lot too especially when in my field where a 1880's home stood there is stuff scattered through out the whole field

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Left my pinpinter "at the last hole" a few times but found it. A few weeks ago I open my trunk at a site to find no pinpointer. Then I thought maybe I didn't put it in the trunk when I was packing up the day before. As luck would have it "yesterday's site" was a quarter mile up the road! I drove up there and found it still sitting in the parking lot.

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i lost/ misplaced the transmitter for my wireless headphones:BangHead: i had it rubberbanded on the stand on my explorer it's small rectangular about the size of a silver dollar . i might have put it in my goodies bag or a pocket , it's black and i have a hard time with finding black items as they tend to blend in real good so there is a good chance i will come across it , i hope so as it was a gift from my TH'ing bud...what a bummer......:icon_scratch:

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Couple weeks ago I lost my digger knife either in the forest or when transferring equip to my friends Jeep it fell off my pack. Never to be seen again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions