Where did you find your gold coins?

ShortbusElite

Jun 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just finished a video where a guy was lucky enough to find a gold coin while detecting. This got me wondering, where did people have gold coins and where would be the best type of sites to search? So to all of you lucky guys in the gold coin club, what type of site did you dig yours at? I am not interested in exact spots of course but a more broad description of the type of use the site saw and in what time period. Thanks in advance for any responders.

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I've got 15 so far. Stage stops, beach storm erosion, old-town demolition sites, emigrant stop spots, and one from an old resort.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
it could be any were somebody could have dropped one while hunting, working, riding a horse

OP
OP
ShortbusElite

ShortbusElite

Jun 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got 15 so far. Stage stops, beach storm erosion, old-town demolition sites, emigrant stop spots, and one from an old resort.
15, now that is impressive! Thank you for the response. I think finding one would be mind-blowing let alone 15. I will have to keep my eyes open for sidewalk and building demolitions in my town.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have three. First one from Atlantic Beach in Delaware from a site of a shipwreck known to have been carrying gold. Hurricane Sandy threw it up on the beach and it was at the high tide mark. That was 2013, in January no less. It was on TOP OF THE SAND! The machine saw it at the same moment I spied it. I thought it was one of those little milk jug tops and kicked it. It didn't kick well or far!

Second one was in 2016 at a NJ beach, a Mexican peso thingie, I forget the exact denomination I think 2.5 pesos, but ugly as all get out. 1945 date, a tourist probably lost it, it looks almost new.

Third one at a Maryland Park Beach, I was with two other guys, we were digging together. I scooped up from dry sand what I thought was a kids token as we find them there, I didn't have my glasses on so turned to my buddy and asked if this was one of those kids tokens, I was looking at the eagle on the reverse of a $5 US gold coin. It must have come out of one of those coin holder pressure fit necklaces, as you can see evidence of very minor "crimping" on the edges. He had a cow. At which point I retrieved my glasses and I had a cow. It was on the dry sand towel line.

I dig CW and colonial sites and have found silvers there, no gold. Maybe this year...or next...

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
15, now that is impressive! Thank you for the response. I think finding one would be mind-blowing let alone 15. I will have to keep my eyes open for sidewalk and building demolitions in my town.

They are the "holy grail" for md'rs :) Ie.: the "hole in one". If I count jewelry, it's 16. I got a 1945 dos pesos in an earring bezzle. But I count that as jewelry, not coin. A buddy of mine here in CA is at something like 9 so far.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, how long has it been since you found the first one? I started digging in the 80's, 1980's not 1880's, and didn't find any gold until 2013, then the flood gates opened, mainly because I started doing beaches. I lose track of the years, and fortunately rarely lose stuff in house for long....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tom, how long has it been since you found the first one?...

1st one = 1880 S $20 gold, stage stop, in 1994. So it's been an average of one gold coin for every 1 to 1.5-ish yrs, ever since then. In one 14 month period (1997-98) I got 3 @ the beach storms that occurred those years. I'm a little over-due right now . Ahem ahem.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions