Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm heading for the beach tomorrow and will be doing my first beach detecting with my EQ-600. My son-in-law will be working with my thrift shop Tesoro and my two grand-daughters will have a couple of Bounty Hunter Tracker IVs.

What is a good plan for searching? I understand that the low water line is theoretically a hot spot so I'll plan my searching around the low tide mark. What about working the "chair line" where everyone sits to watch the crazy people with metal detectors? How about the drop off line on the beach where storms cause a distinct drop?

As always, your suggestions/tips will be appreciated.

BTW, while I'd certainly like to make some good finds, I'll be super happy if my grands find some interesting things. I figure a few hours of them detecting and finding a fist full of change beats the socks off of them playing video games all day.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All beaches have zones, look at the zones and see what zone has the most people and that is where you want to hunt first. Vast majority of rings I have found were either in the water or the wet sand from previous high tide.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It depends on a lot. What beach? Where? Are there a lot of visitors there? Other detectorists?

My overall advice: Just have fun. Don't detect around people (go early/late when beach is empty). You can go on the wetsand but the others may need to stay on the dry. Have a good digging tool. Wear sunscreen if needed. Bring water. Stay hydrated. Wear a hat. Pick up trash you find. Follow laws/regulations. Again, have fun!

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Without knowing what beach my first thought would be to keep the bounty hunter on dry sand, tesoro in the moderately wet and EQ in the wet sand. Thats does not mean go to some secluded beach that gets very little traffic, naturally you will need to know where heavy traffic is or has been.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, your Equinox will work great anywhere on the beach, in the wet sand, and in the water. The other machines mentioned will only work decent in the dry sand. Too many variables to say where a "hot spot" might be. The blanket line is usually best for fresh drops. Look for cuts in the slope, troughs, changes in sand color or texture, etc. As a rule, a hard sand bottom is a better area for good finds than a soft mushy area when you're in the wet sand/water. Use a good quality scoop in the wet.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just turn the kids loose up on the dry sand where folks put their towels and sand chairs, and you get down in the wet sand and shallow surf! Have fun! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
S

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just turn the kids loose up on the dry sand where folks put their towels and sand chairs, and you get down in the wet sand and shallow surf! Have fun! :icon_thumleft:

That, exactly, is my plan. As I said earlier, I'd really like to find some cool stuff but my main goal is to let the kids have a good time. They already like detecting in their neighborhood which, by the way, is built on an old plantation that has two old Indian trading paths on it. We've found a few artifacts like hinges and plow points.

OP
OP
S

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE

Had a great time on the beach. While most of the old folks (others my age) were sitting in the sun, I took my EQ-600 for a stroll near the dunes on the way out and at the waterline on the way back. Covered about a mile and a half of beach and found a few things ... mostly clad with one Rosy. I am super impressed with the detector. I know that it is a foil finding master. I found a piece of an aluminum can (about 1/2 inch square) 8.5 inches down and chased some 26-27 signal the length of my forearm before I ran into an iron pipe.

The best part was the four kids who were 4 - 5 years old who followed me everywhere wanting to know if I found any gold coins yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread