Jun 22, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
White's MX Sport,
White's MX5,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the first lessons taught in any salesmanship/economics course is the power of the "WIIFM" - What's In It For Me?

When you ask permission to detect someone's private property, how do you approach it? What's your answer to a property owner that wants to know what's in it for them to offer up permission to a stranger to detect their property? What's the best way to keep the owner at ease without offering up all your finds?

I detect purely for fun and hobby. I don't do it to make money. I do it to find and collect old coins. That said, my plan was to offer the landowner any jewelry that would be found on the property and any coins would be mine. Is this a bad way to approach it? What have you found to be most successful?

-KP

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's pretty rare that they would even ask that question, but, if they do, I'd offer to return anything they know is lost there (get a description), and maybe offer the finds that you don't collect. You may also agree to a "school yard pick" where you alternate back and forth until all finds are picked. I'd want the first pick! :laughing7:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I rarely get asked that question, if ever...I always tell them that I am a relic and coin collector...collector as in "I don't sell any of my finds". I do offer up anything that might be related to family or property...like the silver plated suspender buckle with a monogrammed "M"...Mrs. Miller really liked it. Hope this help, Ddf.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not a big jewelry fan, so my offer, if it comes up is, they get all relics, artifacts and jewelry...I get all coins. No arguments so far.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not a big jewelry fan, so my offer, if it comes up is, they get all relics, artifacts and jewelry...I get all coins. No arguments so far.

Most people will just say go for it and show me what you find. If i tend to be getting some resistance i then offer up the Jewlery and relics part.

One guy wanted to split the finds with me but after he saw what i was finding...he told me to keep it all...basically, one silver quarter and massive amounts of trash with a few clad.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the first lessons taught in any salesmanship/economics course is the power of the "WIIFM" - What's In It For Me?

When you ask permission to detect someone's private property, how do you approach it? What's your answer to a property owner that wants to know what's in it for them to offer up permission to a stranger to detect their property? What's the best way to keep the owner at ease without offering up all your finds?

I detect purely for fun and hobby. I don't do it to make money. I do it to find and collect old coins. That said, my plan was to offer the landowner any jewelry that would be found on the property and any coins would be mine. Is this a bad way to approach it? What have you found to be most successful?

-KP
OTHER THAN MD'ing - I have no other vices - don't drink don't smoke or do drugs - so if I got a permission that looks to be awesome and owner asks that -
I don't mind offering to give them $20-$40 or buy the guy a case of beer - i'd rather keep all my finds - hey I pay for parking at beachs in summer close to $20 to hunt - so why not pay it to do a colonial farm field - that's just me

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OTHER THAN MD'ing - I have no other vices - don't drink don't smoke or do drugs - so if I got a permission that looks to be awesome and owner asks that -
I don't mind offering to give them $20-$40 or buy the guy a case of beer - i'd rather keep all my finds - hey I pay for parking at beachs in summer close to $20 to hunt - so why not pay it to do a colonial farm field - that's just me

Great point. We have no problems spending 30 bucks on a tank of gas and even more on overnight stays at times.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you can see by the responses, it's personal decision based on how bad you want to hunt that property. I wouldn't offer giving anything up front.....only after you get the feeling it might not happen.

OP
OP
KJP462

KJP462

Jun 22, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
White's MX Sport,
White's MX5,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for the input, all very good advice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread