South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. I travel a lot for work and occasionally pack my detector. I have been noodling converting an ACE 150 or 250 into a super portable detector that could fit into a CD style holder. Like 9”x6”x1”, something I could easily keep in my roller suitcase or even a briefcase style bag.

I’m thinking about using a carbon fiber telescoping single pole camera “tripod” as the shaft, eliminating the detector plastic head unit enclosure and speaker and battery compartment. Reworking a minimized housing for the brains and battery with 3D printing. And a collapsible 3D printed arm support. Plus a small sniper coil.

Has anyone attempted something like this? Does it already exist? (Thinking much smaller than a Deus, and cheaper hopefully?) It would not be heavy duty, but great for that, “I wish I had a detector with me moment”.

Also, if anyone has a low cost ACE 150 or 250 head unit for sale, pls PM me. Thx

Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I personally would not invest the time or money in doing that to either an Ace 150 or 250, but we are talking about you. Do what you want, it's your time, money and machine.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know the ACE series is much maligned, I’m just pretty familiar with them and I think they were the best selling detector series ever or at least in the last 10 years. So there has to be a good chance someone else has attempted this or has one with a broken coil, shaft or arm support sitting in their closet.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Could be an interesting/fun engineering problem to solve. Please keep us informed of your progress. :icon_thumleft:

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your idea of making a super portable, minimalist MD for travel. I have been looking at some schematics to do exactly the same thing but I think I may go with your idea of modifying an inexpensive unit. I have an old Bounty Hunter that has been replaced by a much nicer machine. I could easily repackage that machine into a much smaller package and replacing the meter with an electrically equivalent load and the switches and pots with smaller devices. My biggest challenge will be to figure out how to wind a coil on a much smaller form. I would be making a beep-and-dig detector.

I'm willing to bet that some time spent cruising thrift shops or pawn shops could turn up an inexpensive MD to modify.

As someone said, you may be wasting time and money but, what the heck ... if you're doing what you want to do with no harm to anyone else, you may as well go ahead. Good luck and let us know how your project works out.

jsulateskee

Dec 14, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Mojave & Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it's a great idea and would be curious to see what you come up with (assuming you go through with it).

I have seen a video of someone who turned a Tesoro Compadre into a mini detector for the same reason. That's probably the closest thing I've seen to what you're looking to do. Here's the video if you'd like to check it out....might give you some ideas....

Keep us posted....

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm interested! Let us know if you carry this forward and what the results are. Having a functional, highly portable metal detector for travel is something I've also considered. Interesting topic!

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I'm in ... does anyone know where I can find the electrical specifications for an old Bounty Hunter Tracker II coil. I think I'll need the inductance value and maybe the capacitance. I'm looking around the web but if anyone can help, please do.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well many a fisherman got the opportunity to fish on business trips thanks to the "Pocket Fisherman"
Good luck partner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread