Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree13Likes
  • 4 Post By pa-dirt_nc-sand
  • 1 Post By Professor of Engineering
  • 2 Post By Stringtyer
  • 3 Post By jsulateskee
  • 1 Post By Javadroid
  • 1 Post By Stringtyer
  • 1 Post By against the wind

Thread: Super compact DIY detector conversion

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Apr 2016
    South Western PA
    ACE 250 with DD coil Equinox 600
    8113 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Super compact DIY detector conversion

Hi all. I travel a lot for work and occasionally pack my detector. I have been noodling converting an ACE 150 or 250 into a super portable detector that could fit into a CD style holder. Like 9”x6”x1”, something I could easily keep in my roller suitcase or even a briefcase style bag.

I’m thinking about using a carbon fiber telescoping single pole camera “tripod” as the shaft, eliminating the detector plastic head unit enclosure and speaker and battery compartment. Reworking a minimized housing for the brains and battery with 3D printing. And a collapsible 3D printed arm support. Plus a small sniper coil.

Has anyone attempted something like this? Does it already exist? (Thinking much smaller than a Deus, and cheaper hopefully?) It would not be heavy duty, but great for that, “I wish I had a detector with me moment”.

Also, if anyone has a low cost ACE 150 or 250 head unit for sale, pls PM me. Thx

Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & an F2 (loaner)
    16947 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    I personally would not invest the time or money in doing that to either an Ace 150 or 250, but we are talking about you. Do what you want, it's your time, money and machine.
    Rescuing Coins 1 Beep at a time

Apr 2016
    South Western PA
    ACE 250 with DD coil Equinox 600
    8113 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I know the ACE series is much maligned, I’m just pretty familiar with them and I think they were the best selling detector series ever or at least in the last 10 years. So there has to be a good chance someone else has attempted this or has one with a broken coil, shaft or arm support sitting in their closet.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    24634 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Could be an interesting/fun engineering problem to solve. Please keep us informed of your progress.
    pa-dirt_nc-sand likes this.

us
    Jul 2017
    The Old North State
    Equinox 600 Tesoro Cutlass Bounty Hunter Tracker II
    831 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I like your idea of making a super portable, minimalist MD for travel. I have been looking at some schematics to do exactly the same thing but I think I may go with your idea of modifying an inexpensive unit. I have an old Bounty Hunter that has been replaced by a much nicer machine. I could easily repackage that machine into a much smaller package and replacing the meter with an electrically equivalent load and the switches and pots with smaller devices. My biggest challenge will be to figure out how to wind a coil on a much smaller form. I would be making a beep-and-dig detector.

I'm willing to bet that some time spent cruising thrift shops or pawn shops could turn up an inexpensive MD to modify.

As someone said, you may be wasting time and money but, what the heck ... if you're doing what you want to do with no harm to anyone else, you may as well go ahead. Good luck and let us know how your project works out.
    pa-dirt_nc-sand and Javadroid like this.
    ---------------------
    To everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven.
    Therefore, remember your creator in the days of your youth.

us
    Dec 2017
    Colorado
    Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Mojave & Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro.
    101 times
    Metal Detecting
    I think it's a great idea and would be curious to see what you come up with (assuming you go through with it).

I have seen a video of someone who turned a Tesoro Compadre into a mini detector for the same reason. That's probably the closest thing I've seen to what you're looking to do. Here's the video if you'd like to check it out....might give you some ideas....

Keep us posted....

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2017
    Northwest Arkansas
    Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
    2060 times
    I'm interested! Let us know if you carry this forward and what the results are. Having a functional, highly portable metal detector for travel is something I've also considered. Interesting topic!

us
    Jul 2017
    The Old North State
    Equinox 600 Tesoro Cutlass Bounty Hunter Tracker II
    831 times
    OK, I'm in ... does anyone know where I can find the electrical specifications for an old Bounty Hunter Tracker II coil. I think I'll need the inductance value and maybe the capacitance. I'm looking around the web but if anyone can help, please do.
    ---------------------
    To everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven.
    Therefore, remember your creator in the days of your youth.

Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    20363 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Well many a fisherman got the opportunity to fish on business trips thanks to the "Pocket Fisherman"
    Good luck partner.
    Ogre1190 likes this.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links