old rural road

tucker810

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
I live in a rural area, and running through my property is the old country road, now not used and almost grown over. But back in the 19th century, it was the way to get to town and was pretty busy. Is this a good place to metal detect and what kind of things could i expect to find here. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am new. If this is in the wrong place, sorry.

Upvote 0

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
it could be a good place if there was a meadow off to the side people could have had picnics there good luck

OP
OP
T

tucker810

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
funnily enough there is, is that the best place to look? I will post a historical map. (blurring out revealing features) Screen_Shot_2018-07-01_at_11_25_11_AM.png

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet and definitely detect the road. Since you live in a rural area, always detect under any mailboxes on gravel roads. People use to put coins in the mailboxes to buy stamps from the postal workers and some coins fell into the dirt.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
010.JPG
tucker810.......I also have the remains of an old road/trail running through my back yard(thinking horse & wagon era) .Found this right next to the road about 2 " down. Good luck you Never know .Too overgrown to swing it correctly But ill try it again in winter:)

Last edited:

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, get out there and detect away. Sweep the road, the ditch, the berms, the fields ... everything. Depending on how old the road is, it may have been an Indian trading path. I have one available near where one of my daughters lives. As soon as it cools down a bit (98 degrees right now), I'm going to be on that road like a bulldog on a ham bone.

That little stream located down the hill from the road may be a good place to search if you have a machine that can tolerate the water.

Last edited:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an old county road that goes through our tree field. Also has an old bridge that crossed the creek...the bridge is gone but the base is still there. I have found lots of old stuff around it. Nothing valuable yet but I can only hunt around the bridge area in the winter....snakes are outrageous.....

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget to search around any large trees or stumps near the edge of road. Also under Bridges and beside creeks near bridge.
Marvin

OP
OP
T

tucker810

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't forget to search around any large trees or stumps near the edge of road. Also under Bridges and beside creeks near bridge.
Marvin

The stumps idea is very helpful, will try and get out either today if it cools down, or tomorrow. Have to fill hay loft in barn first :) Thanks everyone

p.s. My metal detector is waterproof and I've tried the river, but the amount of junk is way too much to find anything else.

OP
OP
T

tucker810

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
Marvin

The stumps idea is very helpful, will try and get out either today if it cools down, or tomorrow. Have to fill hay loft in barn first :) Thanks everyone

p.s. My metal detector is waterproof and I've tried the river, but the amount of junk is way too much to find anything else.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you have a very nice spot, looking forward to seeing what you find. Oh yea, Welcome from Northern Virginia!

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it is.

In my experience, the real good stuff is besides the road not on the road. Theories about his vary eihther there is good stuff oon the road but it is mostly masked by iron trash or if someone lost a coin directly on the road the next one would pick it up.

Hotspots will be were people rested (old trees, etc.) or "rested" (took literally a s.... in neighbours field).

Are you new to detecting? This is a great place to learn. Dont give up if you only find trash in the first weeks, once you get teh hold of it, revisit the beginning areas.

T-Area should and surroundings should also be nice

Greets Namxat

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have made some nice coin finds on the old dirt roads up here - you have to remember - back then the walked or road horses
pockets were not what they are now - stuff would jiggle out easily
if you live in an area that gets snow - no plows back then - anything dropped was pretty much gone
same if muddy after rains - drop a coin or other small item and most likely lost to the earth
any trees that look like 200 yrs or older - give a try
any stone walls - if you got the time - give a try - people don't realize how much work goes into building those old stone walls
we have 1000s of miles of them in New England - guys building them way away from the house must take a break
I knew a few guys that would hunt along side of them for miles - most times with out much to show - but some
times they killed it - more than a few of them found coin spills - where it looked like guy sat against the wall
for a break and pocket emptied - few have gotten some real old tools - trade axes and such and some times
some other old relics - you never know
back to trees - look for 3 -4 sometimes 5 large ones in a row - good sign there was a house there - sometimes
you will find a cellar hole - sometimes you might just see a depression if house was built on ground instead of
a foundation
good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread