Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: Best Tip Ive heard in 49 years of metal detecting.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2006
    Brownwood, Texas
    Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Deepseeker, Dowsing Rods
    1001 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by against the wind View Post
    I have been using metal detectors since 1970 so it's only been 48 years for me. I have used everything from beep and dig,,, right on up to the arsenal I currently have. The machines I have used over the years have included numerous Garretts.
    To say that your ACE 250 will consistently outhunt my DEUS, CTX, E-trac, or Excalibur is a bunch of horse feathers.
    I suggest that you show the guys you hunt with where the on / off button is on their machines.
    I invite you to come down to central Texas and see how you can fare against my Ace 250 and me.
    ~Texas Jay

us
    Feb 2006
    Brownwood, Texas
    Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Deepseeker, Dowsing Rods
    1001 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pa-dirt_nc-sand View Post
    Put a DD coil on your ACE 250 and you’ll keep everything you like about it and gain another 1.5” of depth and have better separation in iron infested soil.
    Thanks for the tip, Pa-dirt. I already have a DD coin with the 250 but I really don't have the need to go any deeper. I stay plenty busy digging with the standard coil. I also have a brand new Ace 350 which has the bigger coil on it. I won it last year at a club's open competition hunt but haven't even taken it out into the field yet. I didn't really figure out how to separate the iron or pull tab signals from coin signals on the 250 until I had about 90 hours on it. When I do begin using the Ace 350, I will give it the same 100-hour workout that I've given the smaller one.
    ~Texas Jay

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NedTed_DeepDetector_LR_Web.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	410.2 KB 
ID:	1608851

us
    Jun 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tesoro Tiger Shark & Equinox-800
    31 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Jay View Post
    Terry, my detecting buddy uses a Minelab Equinox 800 and I'm not impressed with it and I don't think he is either. He usually finds more modern coins than I do on each hunt but I almost always make the best finds of the day with the Ace 250. I've noticed lately that his 800 spends most of its time in the car and he uses his XP Deus that he's had for a lot longer.
    ~Texas Jay
    I think the 800 has a big learning curve and that's under stating things. I've hunted with a Tesoro Tiger Shark for years and have had the 800 for 3-4 months now and I am still trying to get my head wrapped around it sometimes. On the beach, it's pretty simple to operate, but when I get around an old home site that has a lot of junk in the ground I am having trouble working through the yards. The detector is really sensitive and the ID jumps around too much for me to get a good idea of what's down there at times. I always had a really good idea whether it was going to be a coin or junk when I dug with the Tesoro, so I am thinking that I may be better off using that on the two old home sites that I am working for now until I have more time to spend figuring the Minelab out on places that aren't so trashy. With the Minelab, you need that 100 hrs per mode IMO.
    Texas Jay, TerryC and A2coins like this.

us
    Jan 2018
    North Atlanta
    Equinox 800, ProFind-35 pinpointer, AT Pro with stock coil, Nel Thunder, Garrett 5" x 8" coil, Equinox 6" coil. Garrett Carrot
    225 times
    Relic Hunting
    I have gone on several hunts with son. He is a real newbie with an ACE 250 bought just to locate property pins. I have more experience with my AT Pro. But he digs every signal and I try to limit my digging by ID and tones. He found more and better relics than I did on those hunts.
    Texas Jay, TerryC and A2coins like this.

Apr 2017
    Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2 Nokta pinpointer
    926 times
    So the its actually the ACE 250 thats obsoleted every other detector? Someone please call Minelab and give them the news...

chub
    lastleg, TerryC, A2coins and 1 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2008
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Garrett AT Max - BH 505
    25 times
    Metal Detecting
    I think the point being the more time you invest in YOUR metal detector the better you will get. I started years ago with a Bounty Hunter 505. I used that thing for years it paid for itself time and again. The 1st time I went out with it, I was as lost as last years Easter egg. I have used White’s, MXT, Minelab ETrac... I just purchased a Garrett AT Max.. because it will work for my needs I am now inside the learning curve I understand that and will work with it..till I know what it is telling me when the signal goes off...
    Texas Jay, TerryC, A2coins and 1 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell, AZ
    Ace 250 (2), Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Falcon MD20, Garrett pinpointer.
    5306 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Some here, like Against The Wind, are missing the point of Texas Jay's post. ATW, I read your posts and KNOW you "been Dare done dat" but what he is saying is the people that give up on a machine because they found very little in the first 25 hours or so are not cutting it. They have an operator problem not an operation problem. I also have been detecting since '70. Those were the BFO days. I have owned dozens of machines and STILL praise my two 250's highly! I have put several hundred hours on them.... making the point, knowing the machine finds more than a machine not operated correctly regardless the price. Sorry for stepping on your toes, Windy, but TJ has a most valid point. ╦╦«
    Hard times don't create heroes. But heroes are revealed in the hard times.

us
    Sep 2012
    D'Iberville MS
    E-Trac Equinox 800 Equinox 600
    770 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I started out with an ACE 250 and followed the advice of Charles Garrett right away. By the time I had 100 hours on it I found enough clad and rings to pay for it. In three months time I had found enough to upgrade to an AT Pro. I used the AT Pro for two years everyday and found enough to upgrade to a Whites V3i and then to a Minelab Etrac and now I have two Minelab Equinox. An Equinox 800 and an Equinox 600.

I have not disliked any of the detectors I have owned but it has been the challenge of learning the new detectors that I enjoy. I have noticed with each detector I have bought until I had at least 30 hours on them I was sorry I bought them but at around 30 hours things began to click and by the time I had 100 hours I felt I understood them and finding most of what was there to find. I will admit I two of the detectors even though I did well with them I never fell in love with them like I did with the AT Pro and the Equinox.

About 5 yrs ago I seen where a guy had 5 metal detectors for sale but they were from the around 1995. I doubted they were worth what he was asking for them. He said to me I can find anything you can with my detectors. Being somewhat arrogant I said I doubt it. He said I know what every whisper from my detectors means and that's because I know my detectors. He said you probably rely on both VDI and sound and even then not sure. He said you probably dig 10 false targets to my one because you rely on what you see with the detector VDI and not what the detector is telling you. I thought about what the man said and put tape over the screen on my detector and in about 30 hours I knew nearly every target I was digging and surprisingly even had tabs and bottle caps pretty well figured out by their slight difference in tone.

An expensive detector has many more bells and whistles to give you information and stronger signals but will not find more if you know your less expensive detector.

I don't always go with what I know works because I am always trying to find that extra little bit out of the detector and it rarely works. I have about 250 hours on my Equinox and at 73 years old I hate dropping to my knees for a tab or bottle cap but I still do. However using 50 tones I dig fewer and fewer because I know what the detector is telling me and the all metal button helps a lot.

Back in 2005 I bought my grandson a $15 detector at a Farm & Home store. He was 6 at the time and all the detector did was beep. It had no adjustments on it at all. They live on 50 acres and my son lost the key to his tractor and decided to use it to find his key. He not only found his key but dug $3 in silver coins and $2 more in clad. He dug every beep but he found the key and coins. They didn't use it much after that until I gave my grandson my Ace 250 and he has found almost $400 using it over the past 5 yrs and he hunts maybe 50 - 100 hours a year. He uses it at a city park after festivals and carnivals and at the high school at the end of football season.

It's not the detector it's how well you know it. Like Truth said you really look cool with an expensive detector.
    TerryC, Texas Jay, Channon and 2 others like this.

I don't detect for the stuff I find, I detect for the stuff I haven't found.

If I didn't find it I hope you did.

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell, AZ
    Ace 250 (2), Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Falcon MD20, Garrett pinpointer.
    5306 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Normsel View Post
    I started out with an ACE 250 and followed the advice of Charles Garrett right away. By the time I had 100 hours on it I found enough clad and rings to pay for it. In three months time I had found enough to upgrade to an AT Pro. I used the AT Pro for two years everyday and found enough to upgrade to a Whites V3i and then to a Minelab Etrac and now I have two Minelab Equinox. An Equinox 800 and an Equinox 600.

I have not disliked any of the detectors I have owned but it has been the challenge of learning the new detectors that I enjoy. I have noticed with each detector I have bought until I had at least 30 hours on them I was sorry I bought them but at around 30 hours things began to click and by the time I had 100 hours I felt I understood them and finding most of what was there to find. I will admit I two of the detectors even though I did well with them I never fell in love with them like I did with the AT Pro and the Equinox.

About 5 yrs ago I seen where a guy had 5 metal detectors for sale but they were from the around 1995. I doubted they were worth what he was asking for them. He said to me I can find anything you can with my detectors. Being somewhat arrogant I said I doubt it. He said I know what every whisper from my detectors means and that's because I know my detectors. He said you probably rely on both VDI and sound and even then not sure. He said you probably dig 10 false targets to my one because you rely on what you see with the detector VDI and not what the detector is telling you. I thought about what the man said and put tape over the screen on my detector and in about 30 hours I knew nearly every target I was digging and surprisingly even had tabs and bottle caps pretty well figured out by their slight difference in tone.

An expensive detector has many more bells and whistles to give you information and stronger signals but will not find more if you know your less expensive detector.

I don't always go with what I know works because I am always trying to find that extra little bit out of the detector and it rarely works. I have about 250 hours on my Equinox and at 73 years old I hate dropping to my knees for a tab or bottle cap but I still do. However using 50 tones I dig fewer and fewer because I know what the detector is telling me and the all metal button helps a lot.

Back in 2005 I bought my grandson a $15 detector at a Farm & Home store. He was 6 at the time and all the detector did was beep. It had no adjustments on it at all. They live on 50 acres and my son lost the key to his tractor and decided to use it to find his key. He not only found his key but dug $3 in silver coins and $2 more in clad. He dug every beep but he found the key and coins. They didn't use it much after that until I gave my grandson my Ace 250 and he has found almost $400 using it over the past 5 yrs and he hunts maybe 50 - 100 hours a year. He uses it at a city park after festivals and carnivals and at the high school at the end of football season.

It's not the detector it's how well you know it. Like Truth said you really look cool with an expensive detector.
    Norm, truer words were never said. God give me the strength to hunt 'til I'M 73! ╦╦«
    Texas Jay and Channon like this.
    Hard times don't create heroes. But heroes are revealed in the hard times.

ca
    Semi-precious rock and gem collecter, classic book reader, horse lover, metal detecter gal.

Aug 2018
    Winnipeg MB.
    Bounty Hunter Jr.
    366 times
    Metal Detecting

Name:	20180915_154447.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	501.7 KB 
ID:	1633364Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180908_175512.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	785.7 KB 
ID:	1633365Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180905_105018.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	981.8 KB 
ID:	1633366Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180905_104923.jpg 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	1633367Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180905_104715.jpg 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	1633368Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180814_160313.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	825.4 KB 
ID:	1633369Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180814_154646.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	1633370Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180804_162435.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	887.4 KB 
ID:	1633371Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180615_182909.jpg 
Size:	973.9 KB 
ID:	1633372Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180614_204508.jpg 
Size:	993.5 KB 
ID:	1633373

This is my first year of detecting. I'm using an $80 Bounty Hunter Jr. so don't let anyone say your cheap machine is not gonna find stuff!!! All of this is silver, I've found all this since June. I want to buy a Garrett Ace 400 or 350 so if you have one that you want to sell let me know. I probably won't buy one till next year but still let me know if you want to sell.
    Always check rabbit holes when metal detecting... you never know, there might be karats down there.

Feb 2017
    Santa Barbara,Ca
    Bounty Hunter w/Cors Fortune coil
    831 times
    Metal Detecting
    Ever so true. I've been using a $20 Craigslist bought Bounty Hunter TK4 for 18 months. Beep and dig. I get out about 10/12 hours a week. When i first started , i ran around in full discrimination , i got to where i could actually tell the difference between a dime and quarter. Now in tone mode , Iron,Tabs,zincs,nickes,dimes,quarters, no problem 95% of the time.

Top two rows , last three months of 2017.
    The rest 2018 so far. Bottom row this years gold .

Name:	IMG_20180912_211443336.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	1633516
    A2coins, Mvgirl, gold boy and 1 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT MAX
    9079 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnwon2 View Post
    I think the 800 has a big learning curve and that's under stating things. I've hunted with a Tesoro Tiger Shark for years and have had the 800 for 3-4 months now and I am still trying to get my head wrapped around it sometimes. On the beach, it's pretty simple to operate, but when I get around an old home site that has a lot of junk in the ground I am having trouble working through the yards. The detector is really sensitive and the ID jumps around too much for me to get a good idea of what's down there at times. I always had a really good idea whether it was going to be a coin or junk when I dug with the Tesoro, so I am thinking that I may be better off using that on the two old home sites that I am working for now until I have more time to spend figuring the Minelab out on places that aren't so trashy. With the Minelab, you need that 100 hrs per mode IMO.
    I have the equinox and AT MAX the max signals are clear seoeraton much better easier to use hands down better machine
    Texas Jay likes this.
    This is an addiction!!! There is no cure!!! And it only gets worse!!!!! KEEP PLUGGIN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

us
    Sep 2018
    Rhode Island
    Deus & Nox
    11 times
    Times have changed. When Garrett made that statement Detectors ran on Steam
    RustyGold and smokeythecat like this.
    iffy signals - youtube

Charter Member
    us
    Rook

Nov 2013
    Mississippi
    XP Deus
    4558 times
    I like that. Thanks.
    Words not spoken never have to be defended

us
    Aug 2018
    SW Missouri
    Garrett All Terrain Pro
    2562 times
    Whether it is guns, cameras, bows, or detectors there are people who think they can buy talent and skill, and companies are somewhat aware of this
    You may forget but let me tell you this: someone in some future time will think of us-Sappho

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links