Best Tip I've heard in 49 years of metal detecting.

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably the best metal detecting tip I've heard in my 49 years of hunting came from the late Charles Garrett when he said that you need to put 100 hours on your detector before you can really understand its capabilities. Truer words have never been spoken. Too many people, who are just starting out in this amazing hobby, allow others to talk trash about their "beginner detectors" and take their unwise advise to move up to a "deeper, better, or more expensive" metal detector before they've used the one they have for even 10 hours or less. I bought a Garrett Ace 250 several years ago but only this year decided to give it a real workout and learn what it could do. So I've let my more expensive detectors collect dust for the past few months and have used the 250 exclusively. Yesterday, I logged my 105th hour on that little detector and it has performed amazingly well. I regularly hunt with guys who use detectors that cost at least 3 times and as much as 10 times the cost of my Ace 250 and I usually come out with the best finds of the day. Let the other guys sit around at the coffee shop, bragging about their expensive detectors, while you get out in the field with yours and make some truly remarkable discoveries. Above all, have fun!
~Texas Jay

Central Texas Treasure Club

Upvote 12

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I don’t appreciate the sarcastic remark by someone who has just joined T net. Earn your stripes there Tender Foot b4 you come on here and insult people. If your comment was referring to the remark that others have made about him claiming he owns a jewelry store, find something more original to say next time if you’re gonna come on here and insult people.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Go and join a different forum if your gonna sign up and insult people right away. You don’t get warm welcomes like that.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've something to add to this thread. Maybe learned wisdom, though maybe I haven't learned it yet.

There used to be a time I made a whole lot of money on every paycheck - a grand a week was the minimum, then I reached into the better jobs. I traveled the nation as a "Job Shopper" - a buck an hour or more somewhere else and I was on the road again. 67 projects in 29 states in 40 years.

I think it was early '83 saw a MD'ing magazine on a rack in a convenience store, bought a Garrett Master Hunter Deepseeker ADSIII. Monroe, Michigan and off I went. It seemed there was silver everywhere I looked, and I spent hours and hours with that machine. But it had it's limitations. There was a park my ADS wouldn't even peek in. Read a review on the Fisher 1260X, ordered one from Kellyco (got the Garrett from them too), and went in that untouchable park and it cut right through there and my first find was a Walking Liberty.

That opened my eyes to the need of maybe two different machines - long before I got in the water, thus I think you need at least 3 different machines.... I do confess I have 7 machines right now. I guess I'd just say "I can".

Honestly, most of my recent hunting has been using the Tesoro Tejon, just a very capable beep & dig machine. I've used my EQ800 twice.

I never used my CTX up to its' potential, just kept swinging it as beep & dig. That was my initial basis = beep & dig. If I've a solid two way signal, I'm on my knees - simple as that. Maybe I'm unfit for the modern toys. I will say an individual can spend a whole lot of cash chasing dream machines when realistically - there are none.

I was possessed with the passion until '87 when the cops kept coming running me off places - by then I lived in NE Ohio.

Returned to the hobby 5 years ago when I was looking to retire, joined TNet first, bought an elbow cranker (ETrac), then the CTX as it was easier to swing. Sold the ETrac here on TNet and picked up the CTX.

Last edited:

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many videos of him showing his beach hunting skills. And many videos of him demonstrating techniques and giving tips for detectors and hunting methods. If you need more then subscribe to his YouTube channel and you will find lots. Just because you don’t see the surgeon actually operating on your heart does that make him a fake surgeon? Judge the man all you want. His knowledge and experience helps has helped others become better hunters all over because of his passion and humbleness towards the hobby. To call this man a phoney or a liar is just sad and it’s too bad that so many people in this world are so negative towards others abilities. Wish you all the best in your future finds.
Please find me one video on the entire internet of him doing a genuine hunt and i wilk admit I'm wrong

?

Matt.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
If you need proof of a video to tell you that Gary Drayton is in fact a treasure hunter..then I’m sorry dude. Look at any of his vids. You think he’s some guy just pretending to metal detect and con the world. The man knows everything their is to know about finding treasure. If you think he’s a complete bull maybe you should apply some of his hunting techniques into your hunts and then tell me if it’s bull ****. I don’t understand what is so bs about him he’s not out to pretend or hurt anybody. The man loves to treasure hunt and find gold on the beach just like all of us on here. So why are you so hateful and judgemental for that of him?..that he’s so good at what he does and he constantly finds stuff at the beach?? Many good treasure hunters find more than others do. Look at Chicago Ron. The man is one accomplished hunter himself and finds a pound of gold just on the beaches year after yr. So you may think that it’s bull **** too but there are amazing people in this world, who can do amazing things some are just haters and nay sayers towards them. I’m done with this thread. Too many negatories on here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Finally!!! Someone else who also believes in the man on here other than me!! Thank you! I have read his books too and it has taught me some great techniques and skill.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
The best tip is, have the right mindset. I will elaborate if needed.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Why would you believe a video of him digging up a ring either?..that could be bull too! Anyone can easily make a video pretending to dig up a heavy gold ring and post a video for people to see and believe like some people do. Gary doesn’t make videos of himself finding ****. He makes videos to teach!!

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would you believe a video of him digging up a ring either?..that could be bull too! Anyone can easily make a video pretending to dig up a heavy gold ring and post a video for people to see and believe like some people do. Gary doesn’t make videos of himself finding ****. He makes videos to teach!!
I wanna see proof of his skills.

Anyone can take photos of jewelry and claim they dug it at the beach....but i wanna see the proof behind this living legend.

All the claims on his site that he has dug...i think it was 5 ounces of gold jewelry on the beaches of Florida in 2 days.

Literally a few hundred thousand pounds/dollars worth of metal detecting finds in his life... but he ain't ever filmed one of them.

Sorry, I just don't believe the hype.

Just my opinion.

Matt.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
A video wouldn’t prove it either. Believe what you want. Some people never see beyond only to them what is possible. Otherwise to them it’s impossible.

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats hilarious, since writin 'bout it is exactly what the OP was doin in tha first place by startin this thread. :laughing7:

There's a huge difference. This OP writes about detecting and treasure hunting, free of charge, to help others while Drayton and his kind write to make money and stretch the truth to sell detectors.
~Texas Jay

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Exactly! Gary Draytons books are definitely worth paying for. Stuff in there I would’ve never thought of doing.

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I reckon ye'd first have ta write somethin worth payin fer. Can ye post a link? :dontknow:

I've written a lot about treasure hunting and metal detecting, probably much more than Gary Drayton has. I've written volumes that are available to the public but which the Moderators on here won't allow me to post the links to because of rude members like you who kept whining every time I posted the links. I've written volumes more that I only share with people that need to know and who I want to know about the subjects I've written on. I also have my extensive private treasure hunting records and documents that I don't share with anyone. Since you're obviously stalking me all over this website, I'm confident that you know who I am and that you could easily find some of my writings on your own if you were sincerely wanting to find them.
~Texas Jay

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
I've written a lot about treasure hunting and metal detecting, probably much more than Gary Drayton has. I've written volumes that are available to the public but which the Moderators on here won't allow me to post the links to because of rude members like you who kept whining every time I posted the links. I've written volumes more that I only share with people that need to know and who I want to know about the subjects I've written on. I also have my extensive private treasure hunting records and documents that I don't share with anyone. Since you're obviously stalking me all over this website, I'm confident that you know who I am and that you could easily find some of my writings on your own if you were sincerely wanting to find them.
~Texas Jay

I reckon ye missed tha part about worth payin fer. :laughing7:

You know how the old saying goes... Those who know how to metal detect, do... those who don't, write about it... I don't buy his BS either, but you can't tell some of these folks anything, they know it all... thought you knew?

Still laughin. :notworthy:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ol' kentuck and texas Jay both of you end the snide remarks and insults or I will end it for you. You have both been warned about it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions