Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2018
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I am a newbie (a couple of months), but addicted the hobby. I have been swinging my F44 and enjoying it...a good starter detector.

Well anyways... I was coming back from a trip and decided to stop off at a county park (I have a county permit) that was on the way home, one that too far away to go to on a weekend, but it felt like a shame not to take a look around since I was passing it. I stopped by got out my detector and gear and stared to poke around. Found a clad penny right off, so I was excited. There was a baseball diamond and volleyball area and a bunch of benches and tables around them. I figured it looked like a (trashy) but good spot to start. If I picked it out, I am sure a experienced hobbyist already hit it.

I was right, somebody already hit it. They dug everything. They left the junk by the plugs, they left plugs open (in areas where people would run around). They left bottle caps and pull tabs in the bottom of the holes, on the edge of the holes. They left it a mess. I spent a hour filling holes and plugs. Some areas that they did fill they left the junk in the holes and covered them back up. I dug up a few and tossed the caps and tabs. It was sad to see.

Now I suspect it was someone new who got a metal detector and never bothered to learn the etiquette or a kid (bad parents?), but still. I research like a mad fiend when I am Interested in something, detectors, rules, permits...YouTube is a blast with this hobby.

What bad experiences have you had?

Upvote 0

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've spent my digging time cleaning up messes like that and it is always a bit disconcerting to run into open holes with dug trash left beside them. You have to realize too that skunks, squirrels and racoons will re-open your covered and closed holes at night in search for grub worms. Goes hand in hand with seasoned diggers who insist on plugging in dry ground conditions, and leaving all those dead circles of grass that appear a few days after they have moved on.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is sad... Good on you, I commend you for doing that :headbang:. I have also filled holes on 2 occasions and there is nothing more irritating than coming up on a site that you detect on a regular basis that looks like gophers were there. Once though, I did detect a hole that someone left uncovered with can slaw and after removing the slaw and filling the hole I got a high reading , redug the hole and out came a merc… had to have been a noob
Yeah, my very first and best CW plate was that same scenario. Someone left a post hole digger shaped hole in this “hunted out” field. I always swung my detector over other people’s holes left there. Got a big signal over this unfilled hole, dug down and behind this hole and out popped the eagle belt plate. I was stunned. I guess that hasty person found something above it like the keeper and didn’t resweep his hole. Best mistake he ever made...for me.:happy3:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is it.....

i have a lil fishing cabin on a lake. grew up there. I've watch the constant decline of humanity. Etiquitte is non existant, i remember it, but all is lost. I've watched the appearance of at least 4 invasive species. I have no tolerance for towables, skiiers, jetskis, kayakers, tourists.....arrogant, selfish, scum that come to my world, destroy it, and go back home to their lives without a care

it's sad

sorry for the rant

Reminded me of something that happened to one of my fishing buddies...

He takes his young boys out on a lake to teach them how to fish. Suddenly this speed boat goes racing by, well within casting distance of his boat and my buddy realizes his line is wrapped around the prop of these bozo's boat. He quickly opens the bail on his spinning reel as the line is screaming off the reel. After just about all of the 250 yards of 8 pound test monofilament line is removed from his reel, he cut the line so the rod didn't get jerked out of his hand. The boat speeds away around a point and my buddy hears the motor die abruptly. All that line wrapped around the prop seal did the trick.

freeqgirl

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2018
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Bounty Hunter - TreasureHunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am a newbie too, but living on the shores of the greatest of Great Lakes, I can't stand people who litter and trash our lands. I haven't had the experience of running across anyone who had done that (with not filling their holes and such), but I do clean up. My kids even grab a grocery bag so that we have something to put the trash in. :) *Leave it better then what you found it*

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
this is it.....

i have a lil fishing cabin on a lake. grew up there. I've watch the constant decline of humanity. Etiquitte is non existant, i remember it, but all is lost. I've watched the appearance of at least 4 invasive species. I have no tolerance for towables, skiiers, jetskis, kayakers, tourists.....arrogant, selfish, scum that come to my world, destroy it, and go back home to their lives without a care /QUOTE]

I hear you A#1 - I have a condo on east bay between two hotels, it is marked clearly private property, but doesn't stop people from the hotels walking across my patio by my back door, trying to go out on our associations dock or setting up their football game the beach because the hotel beach is too crowded.

Last year sitting on the beach and relaxing some yahoo on a rental jet ski drove 10 feet up on beach and almost hit me. I was watching it happen almost in disbelief thinking the guy going try some asinine trick and turn away. When I yelled at him he said his little son had his finger stuck on the throttle and I asked why didn't you just pull the safety cord - he said there wasn't time. That is typical of most these idiots.

I like the fall the best after all this idiots leave town.

Sorry for my rant but I understand your pain.

Pete

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread