What is a good detector for land use to find old privys, coins, caches?

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
I wanted to know if anyone could help me in suggesting a good detector for looking at old house sites. I have used whites in the past the XLT and it worked alright but was wondering if anyone could sway me to use a better detector. I look for old bottles and old coins at house sites I also water hunt, this is where I find most of my gold. I have tried hunting old house sites in the past and want something relative easy to use and has a very good performance in mineralized ground with tons of nails. Any suggestions is much appreciated. Aloha ;D

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You're going to have to compromise somewhere. There's no one machine that is best in all those categories. Powerhouse machines (known for getting deep on coins) are not going to be good in sites with lots of nails (masking). Machines that do a better job at averaging and seeing through, are not deeper seeking normally. (4 filter vs 2 filter).

If you expect a privy to have a lot of large iron junk in it, then a 2-box machine would be good. Reason is, privys can be up to 6 ft. deep, as you know. No coin machine can detect that deep, so only a 2-box machine can see that deep, assuming there's a collection of enough packed together trash at those depths. In bottle privies I've dug, there's often no shortage of metal junk (so if it's concentrated enough together - to give the appearance of one big target), you could maybe hear that. But a 2-box machine will not find individual coins.

So sounds like you need a couple of different machines, to accomplish all you're wanting.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're going to have to compromise somewhere. There's no one machine that is best in all those categories.

Tom's advice is right on the money. There is no one machine that does it all well, that is why many of us own more than one detector if we want to do it all.

You may want to look into the Minelab detectors as many like the Sov Gt are very good at ignoring nails while reporting on coins that are masked to other detectors. Read as many field tests as possible.

Good Luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread