Have you ever found an Iphone?

Juiceman

Jun 20, 2018
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was out detecting and found an IPhone about 6" under sand. I was out of town and the phone was locked so I put it in my bag and forgot about it. Today I was trying to figure out how to get it back to whomever lost it. When I google what to do the answers are not helpful, basically the answers on the net are suggesting if I have it I must have stole it :icon_scratch:which is ridiculous since I found it metal detecting! I didn't loose the thing I'm just trying to figure out what to do with it. What do all of you do when you find them?

Upvote 0

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Toss it or e-cycle it
The owner has by now gotten it replaced, and what you found is worthless

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Will it turn on? Have you tried to recharge it? Is it destroyed? If it is locked try the emergency phone call tab sometimes the old owner has left contact information there. Any other questions feel free to P.M me. I have sold a few on fleabay for decent money as long as the screen is not boken. If the serial# is on the back you can verify if it is blacklisted on a few websites also the serial# is located on the sim card holder if it has one.

Last edited:

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one that the owner called,so I answered it. Wound up being a local girl whose father I know through my boss.
I also found an iPod,which I went through a great deal of trouble to return and the kid acted like I was a crook or something. I didn’t ask for money or any of that,just an address to send it to.
Anything I CAN return I’ll make an effort to do so. But BWD is probably right,they likely had replaced it already.
To me that’s part of this game...to try and return stuff. It strokes my ego when someone is happy that YOUR effort reunited owner and property. It’s great others do the same, but you really don’t have to...IMHO.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
No, I have never found one.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a few. One phone had "Mom" in the Contacts. I called her and told her I was leaving her son's phone with security.
Others I have found in salt water which destroys them

The1rod

Jan 18, 2018
Hudson co
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have any idea how to find the owner, but if you can I would rather than just tossing it. They may have replaced the phone by now, but that one may contain unreplaceable photos or videos or other data that they may never see again otherwise.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice thing with iPhone, it’s all backed up in the cloud. Lose phone, lose only money, not data

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got a frantic call from our good friend, saying her daughter had lost her brand new Iphone in some tall grass near a golf course behind their house. The ringer was turned off, so calling it didn't help. I was on my way back from hitting the beach out on Long Island, so I stopped by with my Sand Shark. Found the phone under the smashed down grass that the kids had been walking over looking for it in less than 15-minutes - Happy Day!:skullflag:

Attachments

• HappyDay.jpg
    HappyDay.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 81

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found dozens of them. I managed to returned a few that worked, but, even some that did, the owner didn't want it back as they had already turned in a claim for insurance. The salt water soaked ones are worthless except for maybe the chip. Those I toss in the recycle bin.

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice thing with iPhone, it’s all backed up in the cloud. Lose phone, lose only money, not data

Not entirely true if the most recent pics were not up loaded to the cloud before lost by owner. IMHO

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've found a bunch of them. An iphone can sell on feebay for several hundred dollars if it turns on, even if locked. If it doesn't turn on it can still be sold for parts for $50-$100+ depending on the model. I have yet to find one that wasn't locked so there was nothing I could do to return it. I took the first one to a verizon store and the rep basically said they were just going to toss it so I could keep it or give it to them. Now I just sell them unless I can somehow find the owner. These phones are the new gold...

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iphone, no. Android, yes. One, 6" under the sand, still working, not locked. Returned to the owner, same day. Several broken old school cell phones that were garbage.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one at the beach after Hurricane Sandy ate it. Wasn't much left of it.

PaleoCris

Apr 8, 2015
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Vibra-Tector 730
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a bunch of them. You can pop the sim card in another phone and go into the phone's About page in settings...about half the time, you can get the phone number of the sim card and call the person on their new phone. I have returned a few this way from locked iPhones.

OP
OP
J

Juiceman

Jun 20, 2018
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE: I ended up hooking the phone up to ITunes and restoring it. After doing that I was able to get into the phone. I found that the phone was owned by a company a few thousand miles from where I'm at. I called them and gave the info on the phone. The guy was happy that I called he is sending me a prepaid envelope to mail it back to them. Funny thing is the employee that lost it had not reported it lost. The guy I talked to was not happy that his employee did not report the phone lost. Feels good to do the right thing. It is however allot of work... So maybe I will get some karma points... LOL Got to go swing some more wish me luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread