Scuba detecting set up

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My question is for all of you folks who have experience scuba detecting. How much is a decent scuba set up for detecting? I know an Excalibur would probably be a good machine for it but I'm wondering how much the diving gear would cost a guy. I'm looking to get into relatively shallow dives, probably no deeper than 10 feet and all freshwater. I realize this is a loaded question and one could probably spend a ton but I was kind of curious what a ballpark figure might be for getting set up. Thanks!

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YOU MIGHT WANT TO GO WITH A HOOKAH SYSTEM OR SNUBA SYSTEM

have you tried snorkeling first?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you go with a Hookah system please DO NOT USE a gas one. Winds shift and the float shifts some times the exhaust from the gas motor is taken into the intake and the diver breathes it in. VERY DANGEROUS !!! I have a batter one and it last 4 to 5 hours (12 volt)

TheIslandGuy

Greenie
Aug 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you certified to dive? If not you need to take an open water certification course in order to get tanks filled. Although I've never used a hookah system it seems like it would be the simplest for shallow depths like that. If you wanted to get scuba gear it would cost you a minimum of $1000 if you got everything second hand and really held out for some good deals. It could easily cost you $2500 to get all the gear though.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you go with a Hookah system please DO NOT USE a gas one. Winds shift and the float shifts some times the exhaust from the gas motor is taken into the intake and the diver breathes it in. VERY DANGEROUS !!! I have a batter one and it last 4 to 5 hours (12 volt)

why not just pipe the exhaust like 5 feet up?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you certified to dive? If not you need to take an open water certification course in order to get tanks filled. Although I've never used a hookah system it seems like it would be the simplest for shallow depths like that. If you wanted to get scuba gear it would cost you a minimum of $1000 if you got everything second hand and really held out for some good deals. It could easily cost you $2500 to get all the gear though.

You actually do not supposedly need to be certified to own/use a Snuba system - can put one together for under $1000
I have no problem getting my tanks filled - I used to get them done at a dive shop but cost me more and took more gas to get there - I have a
place that does air, fire extinguishers and other gases
and filled mine for like $15 - they also check my tanks every year
you don't need to be certified for hookah - but with both you should learn any and all safety precautions
and if you have the money - do get certified any ways

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why not just pipe the exhaust like 5 feet up?
you don't even have to go that high - there is a guys on the beach and water forum that I met years ago
big hookah user and kills it at fresh water spots that used to have platforms in deep water
he uses gas and has made slightly longer air intakes - my unit above is one he made for me and it has a filter
instead of an open snorkel - he drilled small holes around the top enough to intake enough air - he has been
using gas hookahs for around 10 yrs

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you have the money - I would go with electric too -
gas you can refill and head back out
electric you can buy a second battery and go back out
electrics usually do last longer on one battery than on one tank of gas
my electric was heavier than gas one - one of the reasons I went to snuba
snuba last less but I have 3 tanks and easy to change - lighter than the units
I use mostly in 6- 10 ft of water
always use safety - I carry a Spare Air tank on my chest for piece of mind - no matter what I use out there

robocurran

Greenie
Aug 8, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you are staying around ten feet and want to keep it cheap,,,, you can buy used gear online all day long online for like 300-450..... you do not need to drop several grand and get "all techy"..... make sure the bc holds air for flotation and the regs are serviced before you dive..... easy peezy........

if you want quality gear for a reasonable price that will hold up and perform even in mud,,,,, look at HOG regs..... my experience diving and searching lake mud is that they keep working and working (like the bunny keeps going and going) even in "zero visibility, high silt and muck" conditions.

namaste

Voyager32

Greenie
Mar 10, 2018
Vancouver B.C.
Detector(s) used
ScubaTector
Equinox 600
Harbor freight
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
40F2EC9A-3226-4D5B-ABA5-8B54112FB9F8.jpeg I put together a small light weight 12V hookah for under $200. it uses 2 small 7.2 ah batteries, I get an hour on one then unplug and plug in the second, runs about 15psi, good to about 15ft but I generally dive in under 10ft, it works very well with my Scubatector or my nox 600. everything fits in a group 27 battery box. B5C2FB1B-5F83-4213-9044-EFF0614C330B.jpeg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread