SILVER!!! I think?!

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
20180830_135300.jpg 20180830_135228.jpg 20180830_135218.jpg

Hello fellow treasure searchers! :) Do you think this is real silver? It has no markings. I thought it was a washer so I put it away for a week and forgot to ask my Dad if he thought it was one or not. After pulling it out again I realized it must be a ring because it's so think and has no washer rings on the inside. If I put it on my finger for 2 weeks or something I should know right? If it's fake it will not be shiny anymore and/or my finger will turn green? Let me know what you think and if you know a way to tell if it's real or not. Thanks!!!

Upvote 0

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm, hard to say! Pics are grainy when I blow them up, does the one pic show some writing inside? What did it ring up on your detector? Looks silver-ish, but can't tell with the pics. Ddf.

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No it has no markings or writings. My detector is a bounty hunter jr so it doesn't "ring up" a number... it just beeps. (I really really need a good one I know!!!)

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah..ok, in that case it's probably not silver, unless it was custom or hand made, and then, they usually mark them in some form or another. There are some "home" tests you could perform to check, and you can buy gold/silver test kits off of Feebay very cheaply. But, it sure is a nice ring! And they are always fun to dig no matter what they're made out of. Are you thinking of upgrading machines anytime? There are LOTS of affordable units out there with all the fun bells and whistles...you can pick up cheap used AT Pros on e-bay, plus some of the vendors on here would be a great source. Good luck! Ddf.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As DDF mentioned, get an acid test kit for future tests. I'd first start with a good magnet, then proceed to the acid test. A drop test on a solid surface can sometimes give you a clue also. Silver should have a nice "ring" to it! :laughing7:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can put it in aluminum foil and spit on it. Then wrap the ring in the foil. If it is silver, it will react to the saliva. When you open it, there will be an odor that is similar to rotten eggs. (Smells like sulphur) .
That is actually "silver oxide"

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice ring find! :icon_thumleft:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find, I wish you'd stop putting your machine down. Keep at it, you seem to be finding some good targets. Eventually you will dig enough clad to upgrade to a gently use higher end machine. As you continue to get experience you should watch videos of different machines that interest you. I started with an El Cheapo Treasure Cove TC-1023, after 60 days it paid for itself. I knew I wanted a larger coil, I wanted a DD coil, I wanted a machine that had multiple coil options, I wanted the ability to notch and i also wanted to see target ID numbers on the display and not just a simple meter needle that pegged on every target. I was so glad the TC-1023 had 3 tones. I still hunt in 3 or 4 tones, and am not a huge fan of the VCO tones. I was interested in the Fisher F5, there was one locally on craigslist, but I took too long to pull the trigger. So I settled for a gently used Fisher F4. It had all the features I wanted that the TC-1023 did not have. I'd have to say that the majority of my good finds were only 4 to 7 inches deep, so your current machine would have beeped on them.

Bengsxr

Jul 14, 2018
Pearland, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Looks to be stainless steel. I found 4 junker rings this last week. Just keep going and you will find the good ones.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First check to see if it is magnetic. Silver will not stick to a magnet. Then place an ice cube on it. If it is silver it will start melting the ice like a hot poker.

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yah I believe it only a junk ring :( BUT CHECK OUT MY NEW POST!!! ��

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks loco-digger! CHECK OUT MY NEW POST IN TODAY'S FINDS!!! HUGE SILVER RING FOUND!!!!!

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree that it appears to be stainless steel, but you can never tell by looking. As someone said, try a magnet first, but I doubt it will stick. Then hole one side of the ring lightly and touch the other side to an ice cube. If it's silver you will feel the cold within a second. If stainless, it will take three or four seconds. Not the most scientific, but it takes advantage of the fact that silver is the most heat-conductive of natural metals.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'd say a definite maybe.Congrats. nice:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread