Top brands and models

Nathan-Drake0075

Mar 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone! I'm looking to get a new metal detector and possibly a pointer as well, any suggestions for brands and models? It also needs to be able to go under water. Can I look for one that I can go scuba diving with, and use that for surface metal detecting too? Or would I need to get 2 different ones? Thanks your all your advice in advance!

Happy hunting!

Upvote 0

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello, ND0075.

I'm no expert but in my limited experience, an underwater detector such as an Excal would not be the best choice for dry land detecting. Most dry land detectors AT - Nox, etc are good for no more than 10' depth, more suitable for wading or maybe snorkelling depths, but not SCUBA depths. I'll let the experts chime in but I think you are going to need two machines. Best of luck.
HH
dts

OP
OP
Nathan-Drake0075

Nathan-Drake0075

Mar 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Dts! It is much appreciated! What land detector do you use?

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the garrett at easy to use great for land can go up to 10 feet in the water very easy to use . If your just doing water there are more water specific machines. good luck you will hear a lot of apinions.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going to go deeper than 10 feet underwater, you'll want at least two machines. If it's going to be salt water, get a multifrequency machine. Single frequency machines like the AT series don't do well in that environment. If you want or need discrimination, The Excalibur would be my pick. The Fisher CZ21 is another good one. If it's just shallow water use, the Minelab Equinox is the best deal out there right now. It's also an excellent land machine.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you Dts! It is much appreciated! What land detector do you use?

I have an AT Pro and recently got a Nox800, which I haven't tried at the salt beach yet, but hope to soon. The Nox has a much longer learning curve than the Pro, but the Pro is VERY limited in a salt environment. For anyone just starting, I would strongly recommend the AT Pro or the AT Max.
Good luck!
dts

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Whatever machine you buy,make Tnet you go to imfo place. The forum is a great place to learn the machine settings etc. YouTube isn't bad either but time with the machine is invaluable. Lots of luck.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an AT Pro and recently got a Nox800, which I haven't tried at the salt beach yet, but hope to soon. The Nox has a much longer learning curve than the Pro, but the Pro is VERY limited in a salt environment. For anyone just starting, I would strongly recommend the AT Pro or the AT Max.
Good luck!
dts

IMO, the Equinox is a better machine than the AT series in every category, except for variety of coil and accessory choices.....which should change in the near future.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both the max is deeper more solid signals easier to use

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
IMO, the Equinox is a better machine than the AT series in every category, except for variety of coil and accessory choices.....which should change in the near future.

I understand that the Nox is considered by many to be a "better" machine, but in terms of a learning curve (directly proportional to the user's frustration with the machine) I recommend the AT series for general use. I wish I had the hours and hours to invest in this hobby, but like many of us TNers, my time is pretty limited. Plus my being tone deaf (or so I am told) limits me. JMHO - not looking to start one of those Ford vs. Chevy type dialogs.
HH
dts

TideSweeper

Feb 5, 2013
Corpus Christi Texas
Detector(s) used
ML Nox 600
THANKS Willie
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Use to own an Excal 1000.
Excellent salt beach machine, took it diving in lake Travis (Austin,Tx) a few times as well.
The Excal ii wont disappoint if ya have 1.5k in funds laying around. I miss my 1000 and regret selling it.

I live on the coast, so do mostly salt beach and like the MineLab multi frequency units vs single frequency PI units.
I've been looking at a ML Equinox 600 as an all purpose shallow water/land/beach unit.
just my .02

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nathan, Rook beat me to the punch. If I can suggest, go to Utube. This is a great reference and shopping tool for MD's. There are videos available for almost every make and model out today. You can enter water, land, or both land and water MD's and you can see these detectors in use and learn a lot of general information on these. Just to name a few are the Garrett AT series: The AT PRO, the AT Gold, and the new AT Max. Minelab has many, but for land and water are the CTX 3030, and the new Equinox models 600 and 800. and Whites has the MX Sport. These are to name but a few, but it may give you some sort of an idea. Best of luck to you and just take your time and do the research and you will choose the right detector for yourself.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nathan, Rook beat me to the punch. If I can suggest, go to Utube. This is a great reference and shopping tool for MD's. There are videos available for almost every make and model out today. You can enter water, land, or both land and water MD's and you can see these detectors in use and learn a lot of general information on these. Just to name a few are the Garrett AT series: The AT PRO, the AT Gold, and the new AT Max. Minelab has many, but for land and water are the CTX 3030, and the new Equinox models 600 and 800. and Whites has the MX Sport. These are to name but a few, but it may give you some sort of an idea. Best of luck to you and just take your time and do the research and you will choose the right detector for yourself.

If you're going to use them in a salt water environment, only the Minelabs (of the detectors mentioned) will perform at a top level. The other have to be turned down quite a bit to get them stable, thus reducing depth.

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For scuba diving in saltwater the excals and cz21's are best and can be used on land and are excellent in fresh water. For freshwater scuba diving the Tesoro Tiger Shark is waterproof to 200+ ft and is very sensitive. They are all a little heavy though for land hunting. I got a pluggers straight shaft for my Tiger Shark and it puts the box behind my elbow so i can hunt the dry and land hunt with no arm fatigue.
HH
John

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I’d get a dedicated dive detector for diving and for sand, land and shallow water hunting add the Equinox 600 or 800.
I found the Equinox 800 the easiest detector to learn so far. It just seem to click for me.

Previous detectors 3 AT Pros, Dual Surf PI, 2 Excalibur IIs, 2 Sovereign GTs, Explorer SE and 2 CTX 3030s and I’m more at home with the Equinox than I was with any of the above detectors.
I do love the XP’s Deus as well.
Good luck!

Alpha137

Jan 5, 2017
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand that the Nox is considered by many to be a "better" machine, but in terms of a learning curve (directly proportional to the user's frustration with the machine) I recommend the AT series for general use. I wish I had the hours and hours to invest in this hobby, but like many of us TNers, my time is pretty limited. Plus my being tone deaf (or so I am told) limits me. JMHO - not looking to start one of those Ford vs. Chevy type dialogs.
HH
dts

I did not find the learning curve of the NOX long at all. If a person wants to it is a turn on and go machine. Of course one gets better with it with use, but the factory settings are good and just a basic understanding of sensitivity, ground balance, noise cancel, and when to use all metal, is all that is needed. And really an understanding of those things are needed for any machine. A true novice could be handed a NOX and told go to park 1 and they will find stuff with ease. I am not saying one is better than the other, just that the idea of the NOX being too complex for a novice is just way wrong. With that said, once a person does start to understand it and it's functions then they truly can start to figure out the power of the machine and multi-frequency. Also, someone stated above that the AT is deeper and that is so not true. I am not discounting someones experience, but I have seen the exact opposite numerous times and have to wonder how it is being used if they think the AT goes deeper than the NOX.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I did not find the learning curve of the NOX long at all. If a person wants to it is a turn on and go machine. Of course one gets better with it with use, but the factory settings are good and just a basic understanding of sensitivity, ground balance, noise cancel, and when to use all metal, is all that is needed. And really an understanding of those things are needed for any machine. A true novice could be handed a NOX and told go to park 1 and they will find stuff with ease. I am not saying one is better than the other, just that the idea of the NOX being too complex for a novice is just way wrong. With that said, once a person does start to understand it and it's functions then they truly can start to figure out the power of the machine and multi-frequency. Also, someone stated above that the AT is deeper and that is so not true. I am not discounting someones experience, but I have seen the exact opposite numerous times and have to wonder how it is being used if they think the AT goes deeper than the NOX.

I agree!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread