Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Coil covers yes or no ?????

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2008
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Garrett AT Max - BH 505
    25 times
    Metal Detecting

Coil covers yes or no ?????

There is a huge difference in the opinion of coil cover use or not to use. Just wondering what others my think. I did not use one for years but just started using one lately on my AT Max and donít see any drop in performance so far. However some say they see a difference and donít want to use them , just wonder what others may think.
    A2coins and rook3434 like this.

us
    Detectorist

Apr 2018
    Iberville Parish, Louisiana
    Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max / Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
    548 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I use one on my AT MAX.
    I havent seen any depreciable difference with it or without it.
    A2coins and rook3434 like this.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    5590 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    I usually use one. It saves wear and tear on the coil. I've never seen any performance issue. Occasionally, you'll want to remove it to clean out anything that might cause falsing.
    buck8point and A2coins like this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

us
    John Scott

Sep 2014
    Salem, NY
    AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
    232 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    I usually use one. It saves wear and tear on the coil. I've never seen any performance issue. Occasionally, you'll want to remove it to clean out anything that might cause falsing.
    Coil covers are too big off a P.I.T.A. for me to deal with. They pick up crap and make your coil false because there is stuff caught in it. Truck bed liner sprayed on twice a year saves wear and tear on the coil without the sand and the grit in the coil cover making false signals. Once you use truck bed liner you'll never go back to a coil cover again !!
    A2coins, 1637, buck8point and 1 others like this.
    If all your finding is pull tabs, bottle caps and beer cans, I've already been there.

Charter Member
    us
    WP

Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    5313 times
    I have coil covers on my machines, never had an issue at all. I pulled it off not to long ago after years of use and there was very little dust in there. I'm rough on things! My "Good" detector is zip tied together. I really believe the coil cover saved my coil from being beat up. If I take the scratched up cover off the coil looks new underneath. Same coil since the late 90's. I haven't beach hunted a lot, and don't have much experience in that. It may be different on the coils with a cover.
    A2coins and buck8point like this.

Charter Member
    us
    TerryrSoloman.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Tesoro Mojave -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    19754 times
    Metal Detecting
    Yes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lobo 007.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	234.4 KB 
ID:	1631889  

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    27814 times
    Coils are in 2 halves, a seam runs around edge where bottom meets sides, this is where a lot of coils fail with out a coil cover, it delaminates at the seam from the rubbing allowing water in. Coils have resin poured over the windings after the cable is soldered to the windings, some times a piece of the windings is not completely covered by the resin, once water hits the copper wire it quickly rusts through the thin winding. Have also seen coils where holes are wore through on the bottom into the windings as well.

Coil covers do not affect the performance as far as having one on coil as long as sand is cleaned out of coil regularly. A coil that fails because it had no coil cover can void the warranty if manufacturer want as it is considered owner abuse.
    Last edited by Treasure_Hunter; Sep 13, 2018 at 10:53 PM.
    A2coins, Nitric, RustyGold and 3 others like this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 720i Stealth Scoop
    5007 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    I never leave home without it! Solid product without sacrificing performance.
    A2coins likes this.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

us
    Jun 2007
    Central Wisconsin
    ATPro
    683 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I bought one with my ATPro a few years ago, but within a month or so it cracked, and would catch on grass. I mostly hunt mowed grass fields. So, I bought another one, and again it cracked after a short time. Don't know why, I am gentle with it. So now I go without.
    FreeBirdTim and A2coins like this.

us
    Bill Jones

May 2007
    Lewiston, Idaho
    Multiple Tesoros and Whites
    683 times
    Metal Detecting
    I feel the protection for the coil is reason enough to use them. Never have seen proof that they have any effect on the performance and the manufacturers say they don't and they should know.
    luvsdux
    A2coins likes this.

Feb 2006
    735 times
    A properly fitting coil cover is essential if regularly using the detector. Properly fitting is the point. If it does not fit properly, you can pick up all kinds of small trash, decreasing the effectiveness of your detector.

If you are taking your detector out once or twice a month and only hitting tot lots and city parks, you may not benefit.

Time for more coffee.
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Diggin up TEXAS!

Sep 2009
    Fort Worth,Texas
    CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
    3167 times
    The areas I hunt I ALWAYS will have one, too many rocks and things to chip up my coil. I don't mind spending 12 bucks and losing 1/4" in depth if it means I don't have to worry about replacing a 200 dollar coil.

I would think you would WANT to protect it.

Charter Member
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    9702 times
    Metal Detecting
    Yes.

I have covers on all of my coils.
    SD51, A2coins and Diggin-N-Dumps like this.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT MAX
    12156 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I never have but I might start
    SD51 and RustyGold like this.
    Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $5.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.50 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    Dec 2007
    Whiskey Junction, IL
    Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
    47 times
    Always use them, especially on water machines. A cracked coil it not a good thing in the water. Lots of rocks to bounce off of.
    HH
    John
    SD51 and RustyGold like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links