perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This week My friend was Mowing a field when attacked by Ground wasps
Knocked off the tractor with over 100 stings to the head and arms.
A passer bye called 911 and pulled him away and covered him with a jacket
Rescue took him to hospital and they struggled but saved his life//
Be advised that they are swarming and setting up for the winter and are VERY aggressive //
carry some wasp spray if your detecting in fields and if need be have an epi pen with you// Perry

Upvote 0

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Sorry to here that. My wife bought a glass wasp trap a couple of years ago. I laughed. But we just caught has to be over 3 to 4 thousand ground wasps in that thing here in the last week. She simply placed it over the hole when it cooled off in the evening and the next day as it warmed the bees started filling it up. She filled it to the water line with sugar water and drew them in. As of right now, only a few left flying around the trap. I'll send a pic asap in another post. My wife just told me it's called a Victorian fly catcher but it will catch bees and they will DIE.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Sorry to here that. My wife bought a glass wasp trap a couple of years ago. I laughed. But we just caught has to be over 3 to 4 thousand ground wasps in that thing here in the last week. She simply placed it over the hole when it cooled off in the evening and the next day as it warmed the bees started filling it up. She filled it to the water line with sugar water and drew them in. As of right now, only a few left flying around the trap. I'll send a pic asap in another post. My wife just told me it's called a Victorian fly catcher but it will catch bees and they will DIE.

This is a pic. You can see the bees if you look closely. Just sit it over their hole careful and you're all set. 20180921_092523.jpg

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like you are talking about yellow jackets. After a few hard frosts, they will all be dead. Only the queen survives the winter and starts laying eggs next spring. They build up their population all summer. That's why you have so many coming after you this time of year. Also, they will not use the same nest next year.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasps and bees are not the same thing. Bees are generally at their most passive when swarming. Ive kept bees for 15 years. Now Wasps on the other hand.... I got stung on the forehead a few months back. Both eyes swollen shut....

chub

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It sounds like you are talking about yellow jackets. After a few hard frosts, they will all be dead. Only the queen survives the winter and starts laying eggs next spring. They build up their population all summer. That's why you have so many coming after you this time of year. Also, they will not use the same nest next year.

These we killed were not real aggressive. I weeded around them before I saw the hole and some going in and out. But I’ll bet if you made um mad they would eat yo but up.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These we killed were not real aggressive. I weeded around them before I saw the hole and some going in and out. But I’ll bet if you made um mad they would eat yo but up.

Yeah, that's the trouble with yellow jackets in the ground. You don't know they are there until you're on top of them and disturb them. Then they will sting like crazy. Yellow jackets also build nests under eves and will get in cracks on the outside of houses to build nests inside the walls. Uh chub, I've been a bee keeper 3 times longer then you have.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stepped on a hole full of bees or wasps they sting you and it leaves a scent for the other bees to attack I ran faster than bald monkey in a bananaless zoo

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I haven't gotten stung by a bee since I was s little kid. We would catch them in glass jars. Sometimes they would sting you before you could get the lid over the jar. These were Honeybees.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I get stung approx one time a year, but 4 weeks ago I was stung once on Saturday and 5 times on Sunday. Not fun at all..They were yellow jackets, I was field hunting.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yeah, that's the trouble with yellow jackets in the ground. You don't know they are there until you're on top of them and disturb them. Then they will sting like crazy. Yellow jackets also build nests under eves and will get in cracks on the outside of houses to build nests inside the walls. Uh chub, I've been a bee keeper 3 times longer then you have.

I've got yellow jackets, red wasps and hornets in my shop not to mention Fire ants. I keep a cabinet stocked with sprays and ant bait. This year they are winning.

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This past week I was mowing for a guy who lets me detect his yard. I angered some ground bees and got stung 3 times.

It spooked me because the previous time I got stung several years ago. That time, a honey bee got me on the top of the ear and I had an allergic reaction all over my body. So, with 3 stings this time I was thinking I could be in trouble. I went home and assessed the situation and took some Benadryl. Half hour later I went back and detected the opposite side of his yard (from the bees). :laughing7:

By the end of the day I could hardly even see where I had been stung. There are a few reasons I think the reaction might not have been as bad but the Benadryl was also very effective.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years ago now, I was detecting in one of our local parks. I was in a small pocket canyon and got a signal. I started hammering away at the hard ground with my pick when I felt a sting on my head. Apparently I was hammering directly next to a yellow jacket hive. I was swooped on immediately by around 100 yellow jackets. Right away I dropped my Lesche in the process of running and literally ran up a very steep hill for about 200 ft, swatting the whole way. Best thing was I hat my hat and heaphones on, so I was only getting stung mostly on my back, neck, and torso. They had crawled inside my shirt as well. i was covered in yellow jackets. When I got to the top of the hill, I crossed in front of a girl in her car and I was doing a dance that looked like Jane in that famous Seinfield episode. I could see the girl laughing at me. I told her it was not funny as I was still running for my car and still getting stung. After I got inside my car, I picked out yellow jackets from inside my shirt and had they flying angrily inside the cab of my car. It gave me true pleasure to kill those b******s. After I got settled down (I was hyped up on adrenaline), I began to worry that I could actually die from being stung so much. I think I had around 20 -30 stings on my body, but the thing about yellow jackets is that they actually bite, not sting, so unlike bees that can sting you once, yellow jackets can continue to bite you. I was super sore for a few weeks after this.
These days, I swear I am the bee man. Everywhere I go, I find the beehive. But at least I am cautious. If you see something fly by you, stop and look to see if other bees are going in the same direction. Usually if you see movement, it will help you ID where the hive is. Bee careful. Getting stung is no fun, I can say I Know know!!

Last edited:

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yellow jackets bite, but they can sting you many times as they have a smooth stinger with no barbs. A honey bee can sting only one time as its stinger has barbs on it and pulls its stinger sack out which causes the bee to die.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems they are everywhere I go at this time of year. Had trouble with them in my wall last year. They got in through the weeping hole in between some of the bricks. They can be a pain that’s for sure.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a yellow jackets nest in the wall of my house . I located the crack they were entering by the back door and set up a shop vac right at the hole.
I let it run for a few hours over a two day period and caught hundreds of them.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I was out early today at my old football field and on the way back to my truck got an iffy signal. Dug it and my right leg started stinging. Fire ants. They don't have to have a mound to be there. This field gets mowed pretty often and they have learned to survive just below the mower blade without the mound. White Ammonia kills the sting for me. I carry a small bottle with cotton ball soaked in it just in case.

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a beekeeper. I HATE WASPS! I pour sugar syrup on top of a hive and as the wasps fly in and land, I squooosh them with a jar lid. That to me is funner than going to the show and gobbling down Milk Duds! One day, I killed enough to half fill a quart jar.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread