What is your favorite detector and why?

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no wrong answer here.....i didnt ask which detector you thought was the "best". I just wnat to know what your favorite machine of all time is and why? I'll go first:

I have had a bunch of machines that i really liked, but if i only could have one there is no doubt it would be my Tesoro Tejon. It just fits me like a pair of old shoes. The Tejon is a machine that you have to "learn to like". You wont love it the first day unless maybe you have a lot of Tesoro experience. I have 3 coils for the Tejon: the 9x8 concentric handles most general detecting in mild to moderate trash, in trashy areas i use the 5.75" concentric, and for a lot of my field/relic hunting i use the 11x8dd coil. The tejon is not a featherweight but is far from heavy and is not an arm killer. Even with a larger coil it balances quite well with the batteries being located under your arm. I am first and foremost a relic hunter and this is where the Tejon shines, however it does just fine in an old park looking for deep coins also. With hours of use and a trained ear you can call coins just like your buddy with the machine that has a screen with vdi numbers. The Tejon has good ergonomics, great depth, i like the features it has and i wouldnt trade it for any detector made today if i couldnt buy another Tejon......

Upvote 0

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not really liking my nox 800.

I like the form factor, light weight and recharge setup- but the function other than speed and finding small stuff blows IMO. I greatly prefer the stability and info that the CTX gives me.

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started off with a BH Prospector that I picked up used for $25. I got used to working the analog knobs and not having VDI. After trying it my mom's push button Fisher, I bought my Vaquero. I've always been happy with it. I haven't experienced digging anything super deep. However, last time I hunted with my brother, I could hear a couple moderately deep targets that he couldn't with his $400ish First Texas machine (I forget exactly which one.. it's blue, haha.) With fresh batteries, I'm confident that I'm not missing anything that I could find without a much more expensive machine.

renantagum30

Nov 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what metal detector or equipment can detect up to 20 feet? is tm white 808 effective in detecting up to 20 feet?

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol, what size target at 20'? That's the question.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still love the F75. I just know it so well.

Chub

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my Nox 800 and Mary loves the Nox 600. Been finding lots of stuff with them and they are a joy to handle.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well detectors are like cars I think, some people like Ford's some like Chevy's for me I'm a Garrett guy. First detector was a Treasure Ace 300, then I got an AT PRO (my favorite machine, easy to use, very versatile), I just recently got the AT MAX which I am trying to learn and get used too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread