Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#1. People are pigs. I've seen human feces in parks, bottles, wrappers, and other junk 4 feet from a garbage can, needles, and syringes, and just about everything else.

#2. This hobby is awesome! You might think you know what's under your coil but sometimes you're amazed at what you find!

#3. People stop to talk to you and either give you permission to hunt their property or give you history on the town and suggest where to hunt. I've only run across one woman who was mad at me for digging in a public spot. All others ask me what I found and seem very interested in metal detecting.

#4. The people on this forum are awesome! And they are very knowledgeable and willing to share their knowledge.

#5. Local history!

#6. Reading old maps and where to find them.

What have you learned in this hobby?

Upvote 0

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
#1. People are pigs. I've seen human feces in parks, bottles, wrappers, and other junk 4 feet from a garbage can, needles, and syringes, and just about everything else.

#2. This hobby is awesome! You might think you know what's under your coil but sometimes you're amazed at what you find!

#3. People stop to talk to you and either give you permission to hunt their property or give you history on the town and suggest where to hunt. I've only run across one woman who was mad at me for digging in a public spot. All others ask me what I found and seem very interested in metal detecting.

#4. The people on this forum are awesome! And they are very knowledgeable and willing to share their knowledge.

#5. Local history!

1. When in the woods during summer and spring watch were you kneel or sit.
2. This is a great hobby it never ceases to amaze me what i dig up.
3. Always carry a pistol or knife.
4. Don't fight the bears a1a8bfb9e0b037db4a8216ef63819b3d.gif :laughing7:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have learned that any coin,bottle,button,or jewelry dug up by me is far more interesting and cool than the exact non dug match......and that would seem to be the opposite for those who have never dug anything up themselves.Those folks just do t get it....but it's true.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on

#5. Local history!

and since you did'nt mention it. i want to reiterate. in my years of metal detecting i still am baffled as to why people have to pull off the pop tops off of cans ? in the olden days when there was pull tabs. yes you had to pull it off to get at the goods. i just conclude there must be lots and i reiterate lots of sexually frustrated people out there ? can i get a ? uh huh ?

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1. This hobby takes lots of time and effort to be successful!

2. Some people are cool and like to see others enjoying a passion and others are jealous because they don't do anything and need mess with you.

3. You never know what is under your coil! Or the dirt you're walking on.

4. The amount of super deep and masked coins is unreal.

5. People really are pigs today but then again I dig up loads of old iron from the pig generations before us!

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
And yet the Govt ( at least in Ca) solves the litter problem by outlawing restaurants from giving out plastic straws. No one gets a ticket for littering. Go fiquire.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never wear cologne that attracts a Sasquatch!

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

#5. Local history!

pretty much what you listed and....

I thought I really knew a lot about metal detecting. Heck, I used a Fisher Gold Bug in the late 80's for two years hunting gold. After that A Garrett Hunter, Fisher ID Edge, AT Pro for 3 years and now an Equinox 800 since March 2018.
But I was wrong and the Nox 800 proved that to me. I had to not only learn the 800 but learn stuff I should have leaned about metal detecting. I had to go beyond the steps that you just ground balanced and went swinging.

Put on bug spray Deet feet, any exposed skin and around your waist even when you just go on a brief hunt in the park. In Georgia ticks are a constant problem, more so in the spring, but also in the summer.

hunt in all metal, and on the 800 50 tones and use the visual display to help confirm what your ears hear on 90 degree sweep checks to see if the display numbers stay real close or exactly the same.

don't waste your time hunting in sites where there is not a high probability of finding what you want to find. Do your research!

Last edited:

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
true about people being pigs.

In a heavily used park on the river where I practice with my 800 has these signs posted everywhere at the entrance and in the park:

no personal grills
no alcoholic beverages
no loud music
no littering
no dogs off leash
park closed after sundown
many areas along the river that say protected area do not enter.

I have been detecting this park for the past 5 years and every single day I walk my dog or metal detect the county police cruise through the park and say nothing. Every single law/rule is violated every single day. I guess there would have to be a drowning, murder or rape before they would cite anyone. go figure. I guess it would be politically incorrect to cause these people to obey the laws. Hint: on weekends it is 99% people not from the US. You rarely hear English spoken in the park on the weekend. If you don't think we are being invaded then visit this park on weekends.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I’ve learned not to forget my scoop when I go beach hunting.
Use sunscreen.
Take water.

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One more thing, always recheck your hole after you pull your target out. Sometimes you are surprised with a 2nd or even a 3rd surprise.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of things I learned.......

1. After walking miles swinging a coil, doing deep knee bends making a recovery, digging or hauling a scoop to sift the sand, detecting isn't for wimps.

2. It's truly amazing how much stuff people lose every day.

guardez

Apr 19, 2014
SEMO
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 Pro Pack ,Tesoro DeLeon, Outlaw, Compadre,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Always carry a sheath knife for cutting plugs and thieves. Also don't play leapfrog with a unicorn!!! . 1. yes dear 2. that's a good idea dear 3. that's just what I was thinking dear. This has worked for 33 years now!! Hope you find some gold to show us. Steve Guardez in S.E.M.O.

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since my return to the hobby, I've learned (or figured out) ...

(1) People are apparently unable to take any trash with them, especially aluminum (see other people's comments regarding pigs),
(2) I've learned to do research using maps (thank you, Maprika) and other documents. This fits well with my genealogy work.
(3) If you buy an EQ-600 after not detecting for three decades, it takes more than a few minutes to learn the machine.
(4) A surprising number of folks are fairly quick to offer permission to search their land if you're decent and patient when you ask them.
(5) Take everything you think you need to survive for three days.
(6) Two rules: DEET, sun screen.

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me make an addendum to my previous post about lessons learned. As it turns out, the opportunities to learn are abundant and present themselves at every possible opportunity. I went out to one of my permissions today with a plan to work about 2 hours but about 45 minutes in, my pin-pointer battery decided that was its time to die. Of course, I had no spare in the truck. Lesson learned.

I did manage to find a few pennies about 8" down and an abundance of square cut nails.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get permission to hunt a home from the 1800s, don't bother to detect in the back yard, that's where they threw everything out the back door because there weren't dumps back then. Hunt the front yard. Also, always carry a spare 9 volt battery for your pinpointer!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread