Nekorashii

Dec 4, 2018
Wismar
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi-Kruzer, Garret Pro Pointer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello, let me introduce myself!

My name ist Max, iam 18 years old and living in germany. I have been intrested in history for a long period of time now, with a focus on WW2. Just the thought of the time back then intrigues me. Ive been especially intrested in the military stuff and so on. Here in germany, the WW2 Era is a topic not many people talk about, one more reason i started to feel so intrigued by this period. I never actually told anyone about my interests, but now that im 18 i feel like i am able to start doing what iam enjoying!

So now, i have some money saved up and i finally feel ready to actually pick up the hobby ive been intrested in for so long and uncover history! I decided to start Metal Detecting at some point last year. I read a ton of articles about Metal Detecting, the law, finds, techniques, everything regarding Metal Detecting.
What i enjoyed doing even more, was looking at old maps from the war and learning a lot about the military and where certain battlefields are located. I looked them up on several platforms, marked them, looked at old photographies etc. I was, and still am, hooked. This feeling of learning about the past and the culture back in the day, i just loved it.
In addition to this interest in history, i love being outside in the nature, alone or with my family. Its just so peaceful and can sometimes feal like an adventure - all these things combined made me really want to make this wish come true.

Right now, all i am looking for is some advice on metal detectors in general. I have already talked to my dad and he thinks i should go for it and he would like to come with me which would make these little adventures fantastic!

So i read a lot of articles on certain detectors, watched some Videos on youtube and compared some. Being a beginner, no matter how much research i do, i still cant say for sure which product is fitting for me since i dont have any experience.
A Detector a friend of mine recommended is called "Makro Multi-Kruzer". Its 750€ and comes with a Nokta Pin Pointer, a spade, headphones etc. The Detector itself is a higher priceclass-model, but money wouldnt be a problem for me.
However, somebody ive been talking to on a diffirent forum told me i should get something like the Garette Ace 250 for like 190€ since its good for beginners. Now, i would still have to buy a good pin pointer and accessoires like headphones etc. and in total the price would probably at around 400€.

Being a Newbie in the scene, i still dont know a lot about fitting Detectors for Beginners and that stuff. So what i want to know is if i should aim for a lower priced Detector to start off with, or should i go with something like the Makro Kruzer Multi for a little bit more money but better quality overall?

I REALLY want to get in this hobby, and looking for any kind of advice i can get! Thank you for reading up to here and sorry for my bad grammar ^^
I felt like writing a lot so sorry if that was bit too long lol

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Max! Take a look at Forum: Germany for information directly related to your country.

tn_metal_detector.gif
2nd - While waiting for member suggestions - you might consider browsing Forum > Metal Detecting > Brands.
3rd - Whatever you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would go with the Garret and a Garret pointer. Screens mean nothing, they lie. What your shooting for will show as trash on any screen. After a couple years if you still have interest then upgrade.
So many start off with interest then obsess. They buy everything looking for that miracle machine that finds everything. That lasts for only a few years and then most burn out and disappear. They realize after amassing an arsenal of detectors, its not for them.
Should be plenty of used detector's looking for a home near you if you look. Been at it for forty years and watched this happen so many times.
Just my opinion.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the forum Max from Southern California.
Detectors are like guitars, buy an inexpensive guitar and it’s likely you’ll outgrow it. Same with a less expensive/less features detector.
The new Equinox 800 for example, is a great detector with features that are simple to learn and use.
I wouldn’t hesitate recommending it to you for consideration.
Best of luck to you and your Dad!

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
All major brands are good. If you are looking for relics in areas where there are tons of targets, you need one with a fast recovery speed. Lots of detectors will fit the bill, but some require tweaking a bit. The fishers are known for fast recovery, as well as the close almost carbon copy relative teknetics. Garretts are good too, and their at series are waterproof. The new minelab equinox series i don't know a lot about, but i have heard they are great, also waterproof. The whites detectors are good, too.

For coin hunting the fbs detectors from minelab, the safari, etrac, and ctx 3030 are hard to beat. They have slow recovery, but will hit on deep coins better than any machine i have ever owned.

My suggestion if you want to find WW2 relics is a fast recovery detector that is simple to operate if it's your first one. I wouldn't invest a large amount of money until you know you are going to stick with it. For 300 to 500 US, you should be able to find you a good detector that will fit your needs.find detectors in that price range and watch some videos on them to see what others are finding with them, and that will help you pick one For the style of hunting you will do the most. Best of luck to you......

OP
OP
N

Nekorashii

Dec 4, 2018
Wismar
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi-Kruzer, Garret Pro Pointer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks a lot for the welcome information ^^

Im gonna do some more research on all the detectors and brands you recommended, thank you :)

Last edited:

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gutten tag Nekorashii. I was stationed in Germany for a little over 3 years and used my Garrett AT Pro to find some incredible WWII relics. The detector is fairly inexpensive but works great. It is simple to use and has a small learning curve. It may not be the best detector out there but for a beginner such as yourself, I would highly recommend this to start out in the hobby. Click on the link to see some of the finds me and my friends found. Most of the photos are finds I made with the AT Pro so that should give you an idea of how well it works. Good luck in whatever detector you choose! :icon_thumright:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/military-battlefield-relics/299938-wwii-finds.html

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Max, Welcome to the Tnet forum from Georgia. You are on the right track. Do the research and watch videos on Utube on the different detectors that you would think might be of interest to you. Best of luck to you in your search. Don't be too surprised if your Dad soon starts his own search for a second detector.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I would recommend a simple beep & dig machine for your first detector. You've an interest, but some complicated machine would possibly just confuse you and hasten your departure from the hobby. The first machine I would recommend would be the Tesoro Compadre, though Tesoro as a company is in financial trouble right now. For such a simple machine, it is quite capable and won't cost you a bundle.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want something you won't outgrow in a few months, You'll want a higher end machine than an Ace. since the Makro is made there in Europe, that might be a good choice. I haven't used one yet, but, it has some good features. In my mind, I would want something waterproof, a fast processor, simple to use in basic modes, and adjustable to meet challenging situations, and a good performer in the type of detecting you plan on doing. The Minelab Equinox is a top machine that meets those needs.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Max,

Welcome to the forum, the hobby, and to what will become decades of discovery, learning, and enjoyment for you.

Part of the fun in metal detecting — for me anyway — is the hunt for the machine that fits my needs, wants, conditions, and goals.

There are a lot (probably hundreds over the years) of posts like yours; people new to the sport, or those who are looking for a new/different machine, asking for advice on which machine to choose for the new endeavor.

Chances are very good that you’ll receive advice suggesting machines that run the gamut — from low priced entry-level machines to those that are at/near the peak of current technology, and from brand to brand.

You know what?

Each of those suggestions is correct. Every machine mentioned will do the job. Of course each machine will offer advantages over other machines, but in the end it is all about give and take.

Ultimately the choice is yours to make.

That’s the purpose behind what will almost certainly be a long-winded post.

The machine the fits me best may not fit you at all. Our soil conditions could be very different. Our hunting methods could be very different. Our desired targets could be very different. Our needs/wants could be very different.

Or..

We could have the exact same needs, wants, conditions, desired targets, etc.. And the machine that fits me best still might not be the right machine for you. There’s a reason why the most successful hunters are those who know their machine best. They understand their machine’s language — what it is telling them, how to eke out the tiniest details.

All machines will have a learning curve; some will be steeper than others (naturally) but the machine that is best for you will be the machine that you best understand.

My advice is to swing as many different machines as you can. See how each machine feels, how it works, and how well you understand it. If there are detecting clubs near you, they offer an excellent opportunity to test swing different machines. If you’ve got dealers nearby, go to them and try out different machines. Ask the dealer to show you how each machine works — hopefully they have a test garden so you can get a semblance of real world hunting.

I do own the Makro Multi Kruzer and can say that it is very well suited for the type of hunting you’ve mentioned. It is a very fast machine (separates very well) and capable of going quite deep. I find it to be light in weight and easy to swing. It is a bit nose-heavy with the stock coil, but not bad at all. The included wireless headphones are very good, but not waterproof. The machine itself is waterproof (to 16 feet, I believe). It is not — in my opinion — an overly complicated machine to learn… but I must admit that its language isn’t as intuitive for me. That is largely due to the fact that I’m used to Whites machines, so it is unlikely that you would have the same experience.

If you decide to go with the MMK, do yourself a favor and get the 7 inch concentric coil too.

Speaking of Whites machines — there are a few models that you might wish to consider.

MX All Pro — a legendary machine. I’ve not used one, so I can’t comment on it much. Lots of coil availability and built like a tank. It is not waterproof though. Based on my experience with the V3i — also a metal box machine — it is heavier, but very nicely balanced. My understanding is that the MX All Pro is one of the best relic machines ever made.

MX Sport — I do own one. It is heavier than the MMK, but very well balanced. Waterproof to 10 feet. It is a very sensitive machine. It is a very capable machine — I think it is an underrated machine. Comes with waterproof headphones (they’re decent, but kind of hot in the summer). I love its language and the way it operates — but I’m biased toward Whites machines (I own 4 of them and have used Whites machines more often than any other brand).

MX 7 — I don’t own one, so my comments are based on specs or the thoughts of others. Basically a lighter weight, non-waterproof MX Sport.

Other machines you might wish to consider:

$400 or less.

Tesoro — Vaquero, Compadre, Mojave

All are very light in weight. Very fast separation. No ground balance on the latter two. The lack of a screen doesn’t bother me in the slightest — it does bother some people. I will say the Compadre is one of the most fun (to use) machines I’ve ever used. Depth is not great with the Compadre (about 6 inches max).

First Texas (Fisher, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter) — Minute Man, Patriot.. and several others.

Very light weight machines. The Patriot is the Fisher F70 with a different paint scheme and a much better price.

Whites — Treasure Master, Treasure Pro

Garrett — Ace series of machines

$400 plus machines…

Whites — MX All Pro, MX Sport, MX 7, V3i

Garrett — AT Pro, AT Gold, AT Max

First Texas — Teknetics T2, Fisher F75, and others

Nokta/Makro — Racer 2, Anfibo, Kruzer,

Minelab — Equinox 600, Equinox 800,

XP — Dues

Deeptech — several models.

Have fun finding the machine that is right for you.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At pro great easy to use and a high level machine

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Michigan Tommyu

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum!

IMHO: Do lots of research, watch YouTube videos and read about different machines on forums. If possible find people in your area and talk to them about which machine works best in your soil condition...etc.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread