I cleaned my balls

Wilderness medic

Dec 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the same general area I found my .50 musket ball and found three more. Two appear to be pistol balls(?) and another larger ball that’s a bit smaller than the .50. The two pistol ones look like they hit something pretty good.

These were found at the top of a mountain in an area that has been to dense to get into for decades now accessible by fire. C858AE9E-A3BE-4293-97BA-9D8F3DC83A7C.jpeg

Any ideas?

Upvote 0

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, none are musket balls. Musket balls are larger, I don't know of any smaller than .69 caliber. Rifle or pistol, no way to say, there were rifles from .30 caliber or smaller on up into the .70 caliber range. Smaller doesn't mean pistol. Rifles were much more common than pistols but could be either. The smaller ones could even be buckshot. Basically we know they are muzzle loading round balls but can't tell much else.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, some could be trade pieces sent to the local Indians, as some had rifles. The eagle button looks to be Indian Wars period.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be from buck and ball loads. They used to load up like 3 of those little guys with a large one.

OP
OP
W

Wilderness medic

Dec 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, none are musket balls. Musket balls are larger, I don't know of any smaller than .69 caliber. Rifle or pistol, no way to say, there were rifles from .30 caliber or smaller on up into the .70 caliber range. Smaller doesn't mean pistol. Rifles were much more common than pistols but could be either. The smaller ones could even be buckshot. Basically we know they are muzzle loading round balls but can't tell much else.

What’s the difference? Aren’t muzzle loading round balls musket balls? There’s an obvious sprue and they look like they weren’t cast very well or symmetrical.

The smaller ones could be buckshot, but There were only two and they were on two separate sides of the mountain top

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What’s the difference? Aren’t muzzle loading round balls musket balls? There’s an obvious sprue and they look like they weren’t cast very well or symmetrical.

The smaller ones could be buckshot, but There were only two and they were on two separate sides of the mountain top
Well they are not really the same, musket balls would be fired from a musket, which is a military smoothbore of large caliber. Rifle balls from a rifle etc. Muzzleloading round ball would be a generic cover all term.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice finds. Congrats

OP
OP
W

Wilderness medic

Dec 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well they are not really the same, musket balls would be fired from a musket, which is a military smoothbore of large caliber. Rifle balls from a rifle etc. Muzzleloading round ball would be a generic cover all term.

Wouldn’t balls from a rifled bore have grooves in it? Or do they wear off from being so soft?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn’t balls from a rifled bore have grooves in it? Or do they wear off from being so soft?
The ball is wrapped in a cloth patch when loaded. Sometimes fired balls do show the weave pattern of the cloth.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome I would be all over that site.......

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think most relic hunters would suggest cleaning them - but to each his own
not all but some of mine I can tell you where they were found because of their patina
I give mine a quick rinse sometimes but other than that I don't actually clean them
you do that and they are all gonna look the same whether they are rev war or cw

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread