detector recommendations

Plug

Jul 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I just rediscovered T-net after a long hiatus. I have always wanted to get into metal detecting, it's how I found this site a few years ago. Life prevented me from getting into the hobby at the time but I am now ready to start. I have been reading the old posts here but still feel overwhelmed by the number of brands and models so reaching out for some guidance. What would you recommend for a beginner for the following categories:

1) All around urban/suburban detector for coins and park searching
2) Nugget gold prospecting on dry land
3) Pinpointing device

I am thinking Garrett AT Pro and Fisher Goldbug 2 at the moment. I don't plan to buy both at the same time, I figure I will start with one (probably the general do-all coin shooter type detector) to get the hang of the procedures of digging and swinging. And as I feel more comfortable and confident then move on to gold prospecting like I have always dreamed of doing. Well thanks in advance, any help is appreciated!

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at the Garrett AT Max it fits all the categories you posted and a vendor on here can probably hook you up.You can probably get a package deal with a pin pointer included just go down to supporting vendors and research the detectors in there.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By all accounts Plug, the Minelab EQ 800 will do all you asked for and more, you will get the most bang for the buck I believe. With the press of a touchpad, you can run Multi Freq. or a single Freq. if you so choose, and five single Freq's at that. Nothing wrong at all with the AT Max that Back of the boat pointed out, but, the EQ can do more. You've got time, you can read up on both.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Whatever you buy, in 5 years you'll own 3 more.:laughing7:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an afterthought Plug, on the sub-forum titled "Brands", you can click onto Garrett or Minelab, and read everything posted about the AT or EQ, and you are right, soooo many makes and models, you hope to get it right the first time. Either way, good luck on whatever you might decide on. Speaking ONLY for myself, I will say the 800 I bought has replaced the three I had been using, Minelabs X-Terra 70, the Safari and the Garrett AT Pro. Good machines all, but this EQ has rolled all three into one.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd start with an Equinox 800 and go from there. You might not need anything else. If you get into some hard core gold prospecting, you can add a dedicated specialty gold machine at that time. As for pin pointers.....the White's TRX, Garrett AT, and the Minelab Pro-find 35 are all good quality waterproof pin pointers. Look at their features and see what appeals to you.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Equinox 800 or Tesoro Lobo Super Traq for the really trashy parcs for gold jewelry.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Plug, you stole my nickname from my career in the Fire Service. At 5 ft. 4 in. tall while going through our fire academy I was given the nickname Plugs' as I was short like a Fire Plug. This nickname followed me throughout my nearly 30 years in the Fire Service. Lol As far as detector selection, watch videos on Utube on the models you are most interested in and do the research and you will make the choice best suited for you. Best of Luck to you.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PM me If your interested in a Teknetics G2 with the stock 9"x11" DD and the smaller 5"DD, I'd let go for $325.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plug, You are right about so many choices. Do you have a treasure hunting club in your area? It could be worth your time to attend a meeting and see what locals like in your area with your soil conditions. A perfectly good pinpointer you never hear about is the Quest XPointer.

TheEquinoxHunter

Nov 22, 2018
TN
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 (Main), Equinox 600(water machine), Anfibio Multi, F75+, T2SE, (Old Faithful) (Co Main), BHLRP, ACE 200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stay away from the Garret AT series. Plenty of machines at the same or less price that slaughter those machines.

Id get the Nox 800. its a great all around machine. Its one of my favorites out of the many I use.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure dont want to argue with the eq club, but the Garret AT series seems fine to me, at least the AT Pro I have performs wonderfully...Used it in just about every way possible (with the exception of nugget hunting) Tough too, lives in the trunk as always in Texas Heat...Those EQ's do sound nice, but by no means is the ATP a slouch.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread