Coin shooting clad, recommended public places? court house permissions?

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where i live is some what scares on old site to hit for relics, so im starting to lean tords getting lots of clad usually its my daughter and i and she likes coins and gold lol and isint to interested in relics like me, we hit alot of obvious places one place that is always fun is where the city dumps their snow...

Where do you find lots of clad?

I recently looked into detecting the local court house and only answer i got was " i think that needs to go through the board", is this the same answer everyone gets?

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're looking for modern coins, parks, schools, playgrounds, sports fields, and beaches are usually your best bet. If any of them are privately owned, get permission. If they're a government owned property, look up the rules yourself. I don't recommend asking bureaucrats for permission. Many times they don't know the actual law, and they just answer what is easiest for them.......and that's usually no. The rules for that particular site will be written down somewhere (usually the courthouse), sometimes they're accessible online. Look it up yourself for the straight scoop.

Last edited:

SnohomishDigger

Greenie
Dec 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my area there are quite a few lakes. I recently learned that a number of them used to have resorts dating back to the early 1900s. Many of these old resort sites are now parks or other public access areas. This lets me go after both modern targets such as clad & jewelry as well as the occasional wheat penny, silver dime/quarter and IHP. Every now and then an old relic will show up: buttons, padlocks, shotgun shell head stamps, tax tokens, etc

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For coins...Schools are a good place to start. Ive taken people there to get used to signals and understanding the machine. Its a great place for newbies to practice out their swinging skills

SnohomishDigger

Greenie
Dec 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For coins...Schools are a good place to start. Ive taken people there to get used to signals and understanding the machine. Its a great place for newbies to practice out their swinging skills

Another clad “shooting gallery” I’ve found is hiking trail gravel parking lots. Hunt where the average car door would open.

OP
OP
Toecutter

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my area there are quite a few lakes. I recently learned that a number of them used to have resorts dating back to the early 1900s. Many of these old resort sites are now parks or other public access areas. This lets me go after both modern targets such as clad & jewelry as well as the occasional wheat penny, silver dime/quarter and IHP. Every now and then an old relic will show up: buttons, padlocks, shotgun shell head stamps, tax tokens, etc

That sounds exactly like my area, no resorts but those are the same finds we get..

SnohomishDigger

Greenie
Dec 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds exactly like my area, no resorts but those are the same finds we get..

Are you hunting the water? You may already do this, but I’ve found the cooler, older stuff tends to show up in the areas outside of the established swimming zone.

One of my spots has a pier that goes out into the lake, one side is the swimming area, the other is just the lake. The swim zone side rarely has cool stuff, the other side has given up barbers, wheats, silver Rosie’s, and other interesting stuff.

OP
OP
Toecutter

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a river that runs through town Iv done a little detecting around and in the river always find neat things down their, Im going to focused on water detecting next summer.....

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of my best clad honey holes is a small 30 year old park in a small town that has no traffic lights or stores. They hold a 4th of july picnic in this small 2.5 acre park every year for 30 years. It was a virgin site that was once part of a farmers field. I dug almost $250 in clad from there one summer. I gridded it in 3 directions and pulled about 99% of the clad from that place my first year detecting. I have it every school and park on the map in a 40 square mile area. I recommend you do the sidelines of soccer fields and when you hit baseball fields I find most of the clad is past the dug outs where people sit in their lawn chairs to watch their kids and grand children play ball. Slacks are known to let change roll out when you are sitting. Read up on local history at your library and see where circuses set up back in the day. Fair grounds are also a great source for clad, especially where the midways are set up and where the rides are normally set up.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting

PS: at a normal site I average about $1.50 to $2 an hour but I have had a few sites where I had no problem digging $6 - $8 an hour, they were just that clad infested.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of my best clad honey holes is a small 30 year old park in a small town that has no traffic lights or stores. They hold a 4th of july picnic in this small 2.5 acre park every year for 30 years. It was a virgin site that was once part of a farmers field. I dug almost $250 in clad from there one summer. I gridded it in 3 directions and pulled about 99% of the clad from that place my first year detecting. I have it every school and park on the map in a 40 square mile area. I recommend you do the sidelines of soccer fields and when you hit baseball fields I find most of the clad is past the dug outs where people sit in their lawn chairs to watch their kids and grand children play ball. Slacks are known to let change roll out when you are sitting. Read up on local history at your library and see where circuses set up back in the day. Fair grounds are also a great source for clad, especially where the midways are set up and where the rides are normally set up.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting

PS: at a normal site I average about $1.50 to $2 an hour but I have had a few sites where I had no problem digging $6 - $8 an hour, they were just that clad infested.

Kevin, you single handedly helped raise the minimum wage! Lol.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Sports fields are usually good, and if you find a virgin one, which is hard in populated areas, it will give up a pocket full of clad for many outings to come. Under the bleachers, near the concession, and anywhere pickup games of football or other sports are allowed are played, because people dive for balls, get tackled, etc. And change, jewelry, etc goes flying. I have found 4 quarters in one hole before on a sports field, and i have found things as old as v nickels, Mercury, barber, and Rosie's that are silver. Jewelry as well. You can really learn your detector at a good sports field that hasn't been hunted to death. And it's a lot of area to cover, which will keep you going back for a long time if you find a good one.

Best time to hunt on these fields is when the weather is not so good for others to be on them. I like to hunt on cool gray days. I have the field to myself on days such as this.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty much everywhere I was going to suggest has already been listed. Always try to get permission on public land first. Good luck and happy hunting.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... I recently looked into detecting the local court house and only answer i got was " i think that needs to go through the board", is this the same answer everyone gets?

You mean the parks that often time surround the courthouse buildings ? I hunt those wherever I go to, and I never ask permission. I just treat them like any other public park. And if there were nothing saying "no md'ing" (that I look up FOR MYSELF), then ... presto, it's not disallowed.

The moment you think you need to ask, you're risking bumping to the "no one cared TILL you asked" psychology.

..... Always try to get permission on public land first. ...

If md'ing is disallowed, sure. But if it's not disallowed, then I would no more "ask permission" for this, than I would think I need permission to pick my nose or skip stones on the pond.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have any highway rest area's close by, they aren't somewhere people would normally think of.I have one close to me and I have found a lot of clad there and it always replenishes itself, the spots I find the most are up close to trees or if there is a little bank with a view people will sit down and rest there and pockets spill coins or they put out a picnic blanket.I have found silver pendants and gold pendants out there also.Sometimes you will see a Parent throwing a ball with the kids so a good chance of a ring flying off.I also find a lot of foreign coins there also, so dig signals other than U.S. coin signals.

Rings&bling

Nov 2, 2018
Denver, Colorado
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have one to add: fireworks stands! New Year's is coming up, and the next few days after will be jackpot city! :hello2:

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When there is no law against metal detecting on public property, no permissions are needed because you can't break a law that doesn't exist.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
When there is no law against metal detecting on public property, no permissions are needed because you can't break a law that doesn't exist.

Nor do I construe laws about "alter", "deface" to apply to us. If we leave no trace of our presence (fill in our holes, stomp & fluff), then presto: Nothing alterED or defacED.

Will every last person on earth agree with those semantics ? Of course not. Ok, go at low-traffic times and avoid such busy-bodies. Problem solved .

OP
OP
Toecutter

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll look more into the court house rules are very leanent around here I did hit the high school yesterday and did pretty good around 6$ in clad and still lots to go also got a couple pendants...

Thanks for all the advice!!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If md'ing is disallowed, sure. But if it's not disallowed, then I would no more "ask permission" for this, than I would think I need permission to pick my nose or skip stones on the pond.

And did I mention that "Tom in California" is crazy??

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I'll look more into the court house rules are very leanent around here I did hit the high school yesterday and did pretty good around 6$ in clad and still lots to go also got a couple pendants...

Thanks for all the advice!!
That's a good haul! Schools are great, especially high schools. The kids are older, usually carry a little more money and jewelry as well. I bet that school will continue to give up some nice finds for awhile. Happy hunting....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread