Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Would you give it a swing?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600, Fisher F75 +, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Conquistador, Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    3229 times
    Metal Detecting
    Yawn
    RustyGold likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    15914 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (6)
    Once upon a time ago, not that long ago, I asked a friend to detect his farm. The house has history, but 1/4 mile from the house on the hillside where no history was known, I found a Confederate belt buckle. Go figure. I have a lot of "what is that doing here?" types of relics.
    HighVDI and Megalodon like this.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    9033 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    ... but 1/4 mile from the house on the hillsidewhere no history was known,.....

Uhhh, but sounds like you had reason to be hunting , in the vicinity, to begin with. Right ?

And sure, it's neverendingly possible that some "spot" shows up, where it was never suspected. So : Do we neverendingling hunt in the middle of nowhere ? Or do we hedge our bets and hunt where human activity was known to have occurred ?
    Last edited by Tom_in_CA; Dec 29, 2018 at 10:32 PM.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    15028 times
    If you don't have another site close and want to swing , have at it.
    If you are a research buff ,find out what went on in that field over the years.

An example of a municipal field I've hunted...A homestead was demolished and spread out over part of it long ago. Then fill was brought in. (And where did the fill come from and what was in it?).
    Various activities were held there over the decades. Mule pulls (spectators) tractor pulls ,fireworks viewing...

So for a place to hunt close ,it works.
    Pulled some firsts out of it too!
    RustyGold and Hawks88 like this.

us
    Nov 2015
    South Carolina
    Minelab Equinox 600
    48 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    Uhhh, but sounds like you had reason to be hunting , in the vicinity, to begin with. Right ?

And sure, it's neverendingly possible that some "spot" shows up, where it was never suspected. So : Do we neverendingling hunt in the middle of nowhere ? Or do we hedge our bets and hunt where human activity was known to have occurred ?
    How about if we have a chance to go somewhere we just go? Some folks just way overthink things.
    Hawks88 likes this.

us
    Mar 2018
    New Jersey
    Fisher F5
    421 times

We all understand where you are coming from. I certainly look at old maps to see where activity was. This field has been farmed for many years. It was even a tree farm for a while way back when. So that's what got me thinking. It has certainly had human activity all over it through the years.
    RustyGold likes this.
    Is it the thrill of the hunt or the fact that you get to play in the dirt.

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    13716 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Personally, I do not think that just hunting "any old farmer's field" is worthwhile. There has to have been something that went on there. Eg.: a cellar hole, stage stop, park, trading post, traveler stop spot, habitation, etc....

Perhaps in Europe they can just walk out to "any cultivated field", and detect, and find stuff. But they've had 2000+ yrs. of continuous cultivation/civilization there (of which 1800+ of those years were hand-labor). Versus the USA, where our history is just too young.

Oh sure, somewhere ... in any random field in the USA, is *bound* to be a fluke wheatie, buffalo nickel, or whatever. But it's needles in hay-stacks, if you're relying on random field-worker losses. JMHO.
    Actually I have found coins in every random field ive ever hit - all it takes is one person/farmer to lose a coin or a button
    usually older farms were farmed by whole families or whole towns sometimes
    house I grew up in when I started detecting was built in the late 30s - found out it had a small "poor farm" there
    in the late 1800s - I found period stuff from when house was built - mercs and such but also found my first large cent there - lot was only about 1/4 acre - found a few musket balls too there - poor farm was maybe 5 acres
    but every other field ive tried over my 40+ yrs hunting - have always come up with some keepers - from 1 acre fields to couple hundred acres
    Megalodon likes this.
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

ca
    Hawks88

Aug 2012
    Niagara falls
    Equinox 600, fisher gold bug pro.
    5930 times
    I wouldn’t hesitate. I’d have done it by now. Good luck.
    Murphy, Megalodon and RustyGold like this.

Nov 2012
    268 times
    One other thing of note; if everyone else thought that this field wouldn't produce and didn't hunt it, then you could be looking at a virgin site. Those don't come along too often. I have had one in my time metal detecting, and i spent years detecting it and getting goodies out of it. Its hard to find anything there now, you can squeak out one every now and then, but for a long time it was great. Who knows, you may come back here and post some great finds and continue to go back, finding good things for awhile. Here's hoping you do.....

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    9033 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Wow, this is an eye-opening thread. I have often wondered why I bump into people who've given up, d/t they don't find stuff. And they come to me asking me to loop them into sites I'm working. And when I scrutinize the rationales of what led them to wherever-it-was they were working (with meager results) I point out to them the "better odds" (ie.: the backgrounds of types finds I've made).

When I reflect back on 40+ yrs, of having scouted out virgin stage stops, virgin county picnic sites, etc.... Their was always something that pointed me in the direction of research. Ie.: they weren't just "random forest" or "random farmer's field". Yes, I know they do that in Europe, but .... here , I can point you to ag. land that's had continuous cultivation for 100 to 150 yrs., and guaranteed: You will go for days before finding a wheat penny or barber dime that "farmer bob might have lost there 100 yrs. ago".

And yes: I grant that the east coast has had 100 to 200 years more history. But if you talked to the guys over there who are "bringing in the finds", you'd probably see that, they too are hedging their bets and hitting sites where it was known that some past activity (homesites , battle sites, etc...) occurred .
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

us
    Nov 2015
    South Carolina
    Minelab Equinox 600
    48 times
    Wow, this is an eye-opening thread. I have often wondered why I bump into people who've given up, d/t they don't find stuff. And they come to me asking me to loop them into sites I'm working. And when I scrutinize the rationales of what led them to wherever-it-was they were working (with meager results) I point out to them the "better odds" (ie.: the backgrounds of types finds I've made).

When I reflect back on 40+ yrs, of having scouted out virgin stage stops, virgin county picnic sites, etc.... Their was always something that pointed me in the direction of research. Ie.: they weren't just "random forest" or "random farmer's field". Yes, I know they do that in Europe, but .... here , I can point you to ag. land that's had continuous cultivation for 100 to 150 yrs., and guaranteed: You will go for days before finding a wheat penny or barber dime that "farmer bob might have lost there 100 yrs. ago".

And yes: I grant that the east coast has had 100 to 200 years more history. But if you talked to the guys over there who are "bringing in the finds", you'd probably see that, they too are hedging their bets and hitting sites where it was known that some past activity (homesites , battle sites, etc...) occurred .
    Again and this is how I approach it and feel, I go anywhere I get a chance to. I haven’t been d/t long but enjoy every chance I get to just get out. Honestly if I don’t find anything at a certain site I’m ok with that and had fun anyway, If I do find things well it’s all a plus. I too am researching some sites around me and hope to get some permissions. So I approach it both ways. For me it’s the thrill of anything could be found anywhere... you never know unless you look.
    RustyGold likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 720i Stealth Scoop
    5512 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    My advice? Hunt that field!
    Do it just for the exercise or getting more familiar with your detector. Take some pictures. Breath in the air..
    Don’t forget your gloves and water. Have some fun!
    HighVDI and Hawks88 like this.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    6018 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    We all know that good finds can be had just about anywhere, but, depending on what you are trying to find, some areas will likely be more productive than others. If you have choices, pick the one most likely to have the items you seek. I don't go to modern urban parks to find jewelry, for instance. I find much more jewelry at a swimming beach. Does that mean I can't or won't find jewelry at a park? Of course not. Others I know are willing to put up with digging tons of junk, spend countless hours sifting through that crap to find just one piece of decent jewelry. That just isn't my cup of tea. It just boils down to choices you can make and what you wish to do with the detecting time you have. If you want to hunt a random field or site with unknown history knowing that it could be a total waist of time, why not? You might discover it does have a very interesting history that was previously unknown. It might also be so quiet that you fall asleep. Sometimes it's the unknown and promise of adventure that keeps our juices flowing. This is also how some great discoveries are made. Good Luck!
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links